2017-2018 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

At this point, the only game that seems like a sure L is at Purdue. Maybe at Ohio State.

The other 14? All winnable. Get 9 or 10 of those, finish 10-8 or 11-7, and we're in, baby.

I don't think 10-8 will be enough. Think we need more than that. 11-7 minimum, probably 12-6 with where the B1G is this year. And I'm not chalking Purdue up as a sure loss.

7 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't think 10-8 will be enough. Think we need more than that. 11-7 minimum, probably 12-6 with where the B1G is this year. And I'm not chalking Purdue up as a sure loss.

I definitely agree. I think we need to go 12-6 to get in. Or put another way, 13 conference wins between the regular season and conference tournament. Our end-of-year strength of schedule is not going to be very good.

While the B1G has been a bit disappointing this year in the sense that there's really only one elite team, there's quality depth throughout.  That means that just about every conference win is a top 100 win, and you take away the chance of a "bad loss" (loss to a team outside the top 100).  For that reason I don't think SOS is going to plummet as others fear.  Might not be as big of a strength as in years past, but it certainly won't be a weakness on Selection Sunday.

Keep in mind that 12-6 last year was good enough to share second place in the conference.  11-7 was fourth place outright, and 10-8 was a four-way tie for fifth place.  There will absolutely be more than four or five B1G teams that make the Dance, so setting the bar at 12-6 seems too high.  11-7 should get us comfortably in the tournament, and 10-8 at least gets us in the conversation.  9-9 is probably not enough.

4 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

While the B1G has been a bit disappointing this year in the sense that there's really only one elite team, there's quality depth throughout.  That means that just about every conference win is a top 100 win, and you take away the chance of a "bad loss" (loss to a team outside the top 100).  For that reason I don't think SOS is going to plummet as others fear.  Might not be as big of a strength as in years past, but it certainly won't be a weakness on Selection Sunday.

Keep in mind that 12-6 last year was good enough to share second place in the conference.  11-7 was fourth place outright, and 10-8 was a four-way tie for fifth place.  There will absolutely be more than four or five B1G teams that make the Dance, so setting the bar at 12-6 seems too high.  11-7 should get us comfortably in the tournament, and 10-8 at least gets us in the conversation.  9-9 is probably not enough.

11-7 has been a pretty volatile finish. It's been everywhere from 4th to 7th since NU joined the Big Ten. And in a year where everyone is super similar, 11-7 probably pushes that team into the top of the league. It's been the years where there's a clear bottom of the barrel team or two where that record finishes in the middle. It's gonna be a super interesting year in the conference.

Holiday travel messes my schedule up.  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 12-23-17

==========================

B1G (1-1):

2. Michigan State (10) - L

5. Purdue (17)

34. Michigan (32)
35. Maryland (41)
41. Minnesota (36) - W
42. Penn State (40)
45. Ohio State (78)
55. Northwestern (18)
62. Wisconsin (31)
74. Iowa (54)
88. Indiana (65)
90. Nebraska (98)
95. Illinois (104)
99. Rutgers (125)

Non-Conference (8-4):
231. Eastern Illinois - W
228. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
47. @St. John's - L

247. North Dakota - W

---Advocare Invitational---
81. UCF - L
325. Marist - W
234. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
86. Boston College - W

30. @Creighton - L

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
6. Kansas - L

193. UTSA - W
349. Delaware State - W
310. Stetson
Edited by 49r

43 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

No, I believe that's only for preseason and the first 10 games. That's why I was puzzling earlier over why we're so low. It looks like we're playing so much better, but our offensive and defensive ratings are mediocre. 

No, he incorporates last season's results all the way through to late January (gradually decreasing, of course). See the bottom of this post. So this would be part of the answer to your question of why we are still lower. 

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

No, he incorporates last season's results all the way through to late January (gradually decreasing, of course). See the bottom of this post. So this would be part of the answer to your question of why we are still lower. 

Right you are regarding KenPom. Like Jacob Marley, we wear the chain we forged in our earlier life. :)

However, we're 102 in TeamRankings, 84 in Massey and 94 in T-Rank. I'm going to trust my eyes instead of numbers, I think we're better than that.

8 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

No, I believe that's only for preseason and the first 10 games. That's why I was puzzling earlier over why we're so low. It looks like we're playing so much better, but our offensive and defensive ratings are mediocre. 

5 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Right you are regarding KenPom. Like Jacob Marley, we wear the chain we forged in our earlier life. :)

However, we're 102 in TeamRankings, 84 in Massey and 94 in T-Rank. I'm going to trust my eyes instead of numbers, I think we're better than that.

I think we have just begun to Play!

12 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Not a good day for the ole RPI.  Cough cough Creighton and St John’s.

Saw Foster went down for CU.  Did he play again?

Rutgers lost to Hartford.  They have gotten Samforded 2 times now.

Seton Hall is a good team I didn't necessarily expect Creighton to win that one. What surprised me was the St. Johns game. Providence made them look like last year's St. Johns team, while on the road nonetheless. Just a testament that conference play is a different monster. All the teams know the other team's sets and tendencies a lot better.

Avoided the cupcake loss this year, woo hoo!  But man, the last three opponents have really dragged our ranking down.  Here is today's KenPom update:

KenPom rankings as of 12-30-17

==========================

B1G (1-1):

2. Michigan State (10) - L

5. Purdue (17)

30. Maryland (41)
32. Michigan (32)
41. Minnesota (36) - W
42. Penn State (40)
46. Ohio State (78)
55. Northwestern (18)
70. Iowa (54)
72. Wisconsin (31)
85. Illinois (104)
88. Indiana (65)
98. Nebraska (98)
117. Rutgers (125)

Non-Conference (9-4):
246. Eastern Illinois - W
220. North Texas - W

---Gavitt Tip-Off---
60. @St. John's - L

266. North Dakota - W

---Advocare Invitational---
79. UCF - L
321. Marist - W
238. Long Beach State - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge--- 
83. Boston College - W

31. @Creighton - L

---Shelter Insurance Showcase---
6. Kansas - L

189. UTSA - W
351. Delaware State - W
303. Stetson - W
Edited by 49r

On 12/30/2017 at 10:54 AM, 49r said:

Avoided the cupcake loss this year, woo hoo!  But man, the last three opponents have really dragged our ranking down.  Here is today's KenPom update:

It's harder to compare non-conference SOS because we have the extra two conference games. I think we should have a 50 or lower KenPom SOS by the end of the year.....we'll see how that translates for the RPI