This should get you a little excited...

Huskerpapa

3 hours ago, 49r said:

I mean, to be fair this is the same kinda stuff we heard the year Doc got fired too...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It has only been 68 years since we Bused to our Big 7 conference crown.

We can't be negative, when it is our time to shine.

In October, hope springs ETERNAL.

And this time we could be right!

The depth observation in this blurb from the article is different:

“I’m really excited about this team,” Miles said. “We’ve got excellent depth. The quality of our practices is going to be better than ever.”

No one has ever suggested, to my memory, that Nebrasketball has depth of talent since before the Collier years.  We've always had good players.  But the margin-for-injury or non-performance has always been slim.  

Miles started out with the thinnest of margins.  And he has been able to overcome the injury bug only once: and that year got him to the Dance.

7 hours ago, Swan88 said:

“I’m really excited about this team,” Miles said. “We’ve got excellent depth. The quality of our practices is going to be better than ever.”

No one has ever suggested, to my memory, that Nebrasketball has depth of talent since before the Collier years.  We've always had good players.  But the margin-for-injury or non-performance has always been slim.  

Miles started out with the thinnest of margins.  And he has been able to overcome the injury bug only once: and that year got him to the Dance.

This right there means we've got options when things aren't going well. For as long as I can remember we've had players on the court because they had to be. It was like, who else? They were on the floor based on requirement and because there were no other options. No longer.

20 hours ago, khoock said:

All scholarships players (except Thor) and Borchardt all get a mention in the article

Lee Bo says Nana swishes the most 3's he has ever seen in a while.

Actually even Borchardt gets a mention when they talk about the 3 post players rumbling the floor together.

In low-post workouts, the floor shakes in the Hendricks Training Complex when 6-foot-11, 268-pound Jordy Tshimanga, 6-8, 247-pound Duby Okeke and 6-8, 265-pound Tanner Borchardt get busy.

Edited by bball23

9 hours ago, Swan88 said:

It wasn't just avoiding the injury bug.  That team meshed after they got rid of a locker room cancer.  For some reason, that was enough to get some guys to coalesce who were like oil and water otherwise.  The following year, they did NOT emulsify and the result was kind of disastrous.

One of the best pieces of news in that article is that there are no (reported) cliques this year.  Everyone apparently hangs out together.  Chemistry is an underrated concept on a college basketball team.

14 minutes ago, bball23 said:

Actually even Borchardt gets a mention when they talk about the 3 post players rumbling the floor together.

In low-post workouts, the floor shakes in the Hendricks Training Complex when 6-foot-11, 268-pound Jordy Tshimanga, 6-8, 247-pound Duby Okeke and 6-8, 265-pound Tanner Borchardt get busy.

Yes, and that's what he said. "All scholarship players...and Borcharst...." Thor was in parentheses because he was the one scholarship player who didn't get mentioned. 

On 9/30/2017 at 11:34 PM, 49r said:

I mean, to be fair this is the same kinda stuff we heard the year Doc got fired too...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

But let's be honest about things. We had teams under Doc where a Brandon Richardson was "THE guy". And then there was no one else. Nothing against Brandon Richardson but that would kinda be like if our current team stopped after Evan Taylor. Good players, but need guys around them. We had teams and had certain lineups where we had 3 and 4 guys on the court at the same time that simply couldn't put the ball in the basket. You didn't know where scoring was going to come from. Sure, Doc had some go to guys he brought in with Bo Spencer or Dylan Talley but they didn't have close to the same players around them.

I get that we usually hear the same type of hype and rhetoric heading into each season, and it's easy to dismiss after the team doesn't prove it on the court....especially when it happens year after year after year.

Miles obviously has to have the on court results this year. But it's easy to see that the roster has trended in the right direction. Depth galore and finally have multiple low post players. The talent has risen as well.

Time to win some games.

54 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

That's the line that put me over the edge. 

I'm tellin yall.. he might be a good enough shooter/athlete to crack the starting lineup at some point.  Nana will contribute for sure.  If he gets his ball handling up to par, look out.  I don't know what Jack does that he won't do better at the 3.  

This is going to be the most interesting year ever.  I don't even think the starters matter.  

11 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Was it?

I think it was to a point.

In Doc's make-it-or-break-it year we were rolling out the 2nd most experienced team in Div 1 that the prior year was top 25 defensively.  While you were losing Lance Jeter, you were bringing everyone else back and  injecting in Bo Spencer: SCORER (I remember the Sip article on this).  Our first year into the B1G was an unknown variable in this equation.

You had probably a projected lineup of

Bo Spencer (Sr)

Brandon Richardson (Sr)

Caleb Walker (Sr)

Toney McCray(Sr)

Jorge Brian Diaz (Jr)

Of the bench you had

Brandon Ubel - JR (wasn't generally considered to be that good yet but you could roll him out as your PF for a bigger lineup with Diaz/Andre/Neimann)

Dylan Talley - Jr Juco transfer - (Probably received a decent amount of hype...had played Div 1 as frosh)

Christopher Neimann - Jr - (Presumed finally healthy)

Andre Almeida - SR (was coming off a solid year but would miss this entire season)

Ray Gallegos - JR (didn't know he was going to redshirt)

That's 10 guys right there with

Rivals 3 star Josiah Moore

Rivals 3 star Corey Hilliard 

Came from a state champion David Rivers

Don't forget our extra walk-on depth for keeping everyone sharp which included redshirt Froshs Kye Kurkowski and Jordan Tyrance.

So, in a sense it's a very similar story to what we have today: Coach in a make-or-break year with his most loaded roster to date.  The most glaring difference is that we beat out Power 5 teams for our depth/team as opposed to mid-majors. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

I think it was to a point.

In Doc's make-it-or-break-it year we were rolling out the 2nd most experienced team in Div 1 that the prior year was top 25 defensively.  While you were losing Lance Jeter, you were bringing everyone else back and  injecting in Bo Spencer: SCORER (I remember the Sip article on this).  Our first year into the B1G was an unknown variable in this equation.

You had probably a projected lineup of

Bo Spencer (Sr)

Brandon Richardson (Sr)

Caleb Walker (Sr)

Toney McCray(Sr)

Jorge Brian Diaz (Jr)

Of the bench you had

Brandon Ubel - JR (wasn't generally considered to be that good yet but you could roll him out as your PF for a bigger lineup with Diaz/Andre/Neimann)

Dylan Talley - Jr Juco transfer - (Probably received a decent amount of hype...had played Div 1 as frosh)

Christopher Neimann - Jr - (Presumed finally healthy)

Andre Almeida - SR (was coming off a solid year but would miss this entire season)

Ray Gallegos - JR (didn't know he was going to redshirt)

That's 10 guys right there with

Rivals 3 star Josiah Moore

Rivals 3 star Corey Hilliard 

Came from a state champion David Rivers

Don't forget our extra walk-on depth for keeping everyone sharp which included redshirt Froshs Kye Kurkowski and Jordan Tyrance.

So, in a sense it's a very similar story to what we have today: Coach in a make-or-break year with his most loaded roster to date.  The most glaring difference is that we beat out Power 5 teams for our depth/team as opposed to mid-majors. 

I remember the excitement about Spencer and the arguments about how good Diaz was because gosh darn it, he just didn't look like he cared, and the questions about whether McCray would realize his full potential for his senior year. I also remember the conversations about Spencer's issues that led to him leaving Ole Miss. I don't remember reading the things I've been reading about this year's team. The closest I remember people talking this openly about the team being really good was going into the 14-15 season.

Edited by uneblinstu

I've always felt Lee B gives a clear eyed, fair assessment of the program. He will NEVER be mistaken for a Husker ball washer. That being said, by his standards yesterdays column was down right giddy to the point you could swear he was holding Pom Poms. But, everything he said was right. This squad has an eerie feel to 90/91, coming off a 10 win season you got back a healthy Reid, added Farmer & Pike and well we all know the rest. I like the way this roster is shaping up, and if their the worst team in the B1G I'll eat my hat!

Edited by Handy Johnson

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

The problem with all this is people are beginning to expect a '90-'91 type turnaround - which is foolish to do IMO.  For me, I'll just be happy if we can get back to over .500 and hopefully qualify for the NIT.

I don't think there are too many fools who expect it. But the signs out there pointing to 90-91 type season are glorious. And it's damn refreshing to think it's possible and could happen. 

Lets just say that the conditions are right. Most people talking about this are in the 'could be possible' club but are nowhere dumb enough to expect it. I think anyway...