Developing story: NCAA fraud and corruption probe

Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Alright, so I didn't hear Bilas 100% accurately.  But in my defense, I was listening while on my morning commute.  It's hard to get the details correct while weaving in and out of traffic and cutting people off.

Oh, that was you?

I'll know to waive next time.

With more than just one finger.

None of this would be necessary if the NCAA did not exist. Basically it has always been an institution which exists primarily to exploit young athletes while everyone else helps themselves to the money they generate. Anyone wishing documentation of this should read this book:http://journalstar.com/entertainment/books/review-indentured-the-inside-story-of-the-rebellion-against-the/article_1a5363be-05c5-57e6-afff-4d3d7f739bf9.html

25 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

None of this would be necessary if the NCAA did not exist. Basically it has always been an institution which exists primarily to exploit young athletes while everyone else helps themselves to the money they generate. Anyone wishing documentation of this should read this book:http://journalstar.com/entertainment/books/review-indentured-the-inside-story-of-the-rebellion-against-the/article_1a5363be-05c5-57e6-afff-4d3d7f739bf9.html

This is also an interesting take on the matter as well: http://nypost.com/2017/09/27/why-is-the-fbi-trying-to-enforce-ncaa-rules/amp/

On 9/27/2017 at 11:08 AM, basketballjones said:

So - can someone explain to me how people are going to jail over this stuff? Just general racketing issues - is that what it is? 

Because as far as I can tell - these are just NCAA violations - didn't know you could go to jail over that. 

So is the answer that the US Government has decided that this "scheme" is considered racketeering and that is why people are getting arrested? If so - this rolls so deep it's not even funny. If they're going after college basketball - I'd be purely shocked if they stop here. NCAA Football is a bigger racket than this, x10. 

If you give money or accept money from someone and don't declare that income and thus pay taxes on it....you are going to Jail.

52 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

If you give money or accept money from someone and don't declare that income and thus pay taxes on it....you are going to Jail.

i'm still a bit confused by arrests as well because it seems like more of an ncaa violation than breaking the law. I think there's more to the story that hasn't been released. 

A writer over on a Syracuse basketball message board seems to be an expert of sorts.  He writes a long piece to explain what's going on.  Here's an excerpt:

"In short, some coaches let kids get paid by agents and shoe companies, and other coaches actively participate in the process. 
. . . 
I think that Syracuse is the kind of school that lets kids get paid by agents and NOT the kid of school that actively participates in the process. So those people saying "thank god Syracuse never pays its players" are missing the point. Syracuse players are still getting paid, its just that Syracuse coaches are not exploiting them or particularly benefiting from the fact that they get paid. 
. . . 
The real worry, to me, is that lists of players who accepted money are going to come out, and some SU player will be on that list. The average non-die hard sports fan will not have a good enough understanding to differentiate between the teams who cheat in a way that gives them an unfair advantage like Duke and Kentucky, and the teams who just tassetly allow cheating to happen, like Syracuse. 

Of course, if Syracuse goes down in this thing, so will most other schools. "

Maybe this writer is providing some insight for us on the Andrew White III situation? 

2 hours ago, Blindcheck said:

If you receive money as a gift, you do not have to pay taxes on it.  If you give money as a gift, you do not have to report it unless it is totals more than $14,000 per year.  If it totals more than $14,000 in a year, you need to report it but there is no tax until you accumulate $5 million in gifts.  After $5 million lifetime total, you must start paying taxes on the money you gift. 

Edited by fred1212

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

A writer over on a Syracuse basketball message board seems to be an expert of sorts.  He writes a long piece to explain what's going on.  Here's an excerpt:

"In short, some coaches let kids get paid by agents and shoe companies, and other coaches actively participate in the process. 
. . . 
I think that Syracuse is the kind of school that lets kids get paid by agents and NOT the kid of school that actively participates in the process. So those people saying "thank god Syracuse never pays its players" are missing the point. Syracuse players are still getting paid, its just that Syracuse coaches are not exploiting them or particularly benefiting from the fact that they get paid. 
. . . 
The real worry, to me, is that lists of players who accepted money are going to come out, and some SU player will be on that list. The average non-die hard sports fan will not have a good enough understanding to differentiate between the teams who cheat in a way that gives them an unfair advantage like Duke and Kentucky, and the teams who just tassetly allow cheating to happen, like Syracuse. 

Maybe this writer is providing some insight for us on the Andrew White III situation? 

Okay, that's fine and all but when he doesn't know that "tassetly" is actually supposed to be spelled "tacitly", that takes a little bit of the validity out of what he's saying for me.  Not to mention it's probably not the best choice of words for the thought he's trying to convey.  In my opinion.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

. . . 
. . . 

:Signhuh:
:Signhuh:

I don't see the difference.  Regardless, the player gets paid - to come to your school (that doesn't mean he might not get paid more to go to another school).  It doesn't make any difference who is doing the paying,the school gets the benefit of the player going there.  As long as the school has knowledge that a player is getting paid, by whomever, or reason to suspect that a player may be getting paid to come to their school, the school is complicit.