Developing story: NCAA fraud and corruption probe

Norm Peterson

Here is my one itty bitty concern that hast crept into my tiny little mind.  We have fished in two ponds that are implicated in having bad fish.  We pulled out two keepers in Anton Gill and James Palmer, Jr.  In my mind and in my heart I believe these two are free of issues.  But that tiny little bubble in my head whispers...but what if they aren't.  Please tell me to pop that bubble and that I have zero to fret about.  And oh yeah, our ex-AD came from Miami U prior to Nebraska and lo and behold, he was just fired.  Sheesh, my mind meanders down the path of distrust and conspiracy at times.

4 hours ago, huskercwg said:

We pulled out two keepers in Anton Gill and James Palmer, Jr.  In my mind and in my heart I believe these two are free of issues.  But that tiny little bubble in my head whispers...but what if they aren't

I also doubt these guys have issues. If they did at a different school we're looking at them being ineligible, not us.

4 hours ago, huskercwg said:

And oh yeah, our ex-AD came from Miami U prior to Nebraska and lo and behold, he was just fired

No current federal investigations caused us to start the football season 1-2; He was fired because a former football super power went from middle of the road to mediocre under his watch. 

3 hours ago, colhusker said:

What happens to the kids that are part of all this.  That is the ones they can trace the money to?

Well the FBI has been undercover on this case for the last three years, so I'm sure they know all about what's going on. It'll be nice for the NCAA too...got the feds to do all the grunt work for them.

By following through on this case, the Justice Department and the USAO have done nothing but give the NCAA a victory—a double-edged victory, but a victory nonetheless. While the bad PR hurts, the government is doing the NCAA’s work for it, almost literally carrying its water. The government is legitimizing the imbalanced market the NCAA has long championed. When Kim declined to take a position on the matter of college amateurism restrictions and claimed that all he does is prosecute law-breakers, he breathed life into the bloated carcass that is the NCAA amateurism system.

The feds are doing what the NCAA has failed and refused to do. By constantly combatting the notion that college athletes in these increasingly lucrative sports deserve to be recognized as paid professionals, the NCAA simultaneously helped create and outlaw a billion-dollar market. Instead of a world where this market is legalized and regulated, we are now subject to an investigation that just swaps out nouns. “Bribe” is put where “signing bonus” should be, “fraud” is in place of “negotiate,” and the actual government is put in a place where it’s enforcing the NCAA’s arbitrary and bullshit rules as if they were the word of God.

Edited by 49r

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

Burno.

anyone bring him up yet? When he left I had heard he wasn't getting along with staff here and that Miles basically chased him off because he had some known shady recruiting practices. 

He goes to ASU with his buddy Hurley and they are raking in the 5-star talent. Coincidence? No way.

There isn't one guy on their roster that is a 5 star recruit much less an amount of guys on there that would be considered rolling. Carlton Bragg is the only guy and that's after he smoked his way out of Kansas. He very well might not have gotten along with everyone else but we were trying to run him out during the middle of recruiting season?  None of this adds up.

I know I constantly give him shit for leaving after 50 days but it's because he did us dirty in leaving after a Burno because Hurley couldn't fill his staff, not because I think he was on the take at all.

5 hours ago, hskr4life said:

My goodness!  It's just the tip guys.  The FBI will start handing out reduced sentences like crazy for any "tips" they get.  We will start to see this spread to other schools and sports. 

Today is one good day to have Mike Riley and Tim Miles as coaches.  I don't think they would do something like this.... I don't think.

Just the tip ? 

Had to do it

2 hours ago, ajb5856 said:

Burno.

anyone bring him up yet? When he left I had heard he wasn't getting along with staff here and that Miles basically chased him off because he had some known shady recruiting practices. 

He goes to ASU with his buddy Hurley and they are raking in the 5-star talent. Coincidence? No way.

Your source of choice is full of crap. 

A law correspondent from NBC was on ESPN radio yesterday and said the NCAA doesn't have the power that the FBI does. When the NCAA investigates they are only allowed to ask questions and go over the information that is given to them. They aren't allowed to use wire taps and undercover people to gain information. So according to that guy, those people saying the FBI did all the legwork for the NCAA are wrong. The NCAA is only a governing body and not a law enforcement organization.

Good news is that Nebraska has not been involved in any part of the investigation.

19 minutes ago, rr52 said:

A law correspondent from NBC was on ESPN radio yesterday and said the NCAA doesn't have the power that the FBI does. When the NCAA investigates they are only allowed to ask questions and go over the information that is given to them. They aren't allowed to use wire taps and undercover people to gain information. So according to that guy, those people saying the FBI did all the legwork for the NCAA are wrong. The NCAA is only a governing body and not a law enforcement organization.

Good news is that Nebraska has not been involved in any part of the investigation.

Jay Bilas, Esq., was on Mike & Mike this morning.  And unless I completely misunderstood, I thought he said the reason the FBI can get involved is because the schools in question are public institutions receiving federal funding.  I found that interesting since it's potentially a get-out-of-jail free card if a private school like Creighton were to use similar tactics.  Bilas said it's similar to taking bribes on underwriting federally-backed mortgages.  If you want to lower the bar for a loan with your own dollars, that's fine.  But if you do it when tax payers dollars are involved and you get a kickback, that's a jail sentence. 

37 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

it's potentially a get-out-of-jail free card if a private school like Creighton were to use similar tactics.  . . .  But if you do it when tax payers dollars are involved and you get a kickback, that's a jail sentence. 

Hmmmm . . .  I don't know anything about criminal law.  But here's guessing that every high-tuition institution of higher learning, including every such institution in Nebraska, gets Federally-based student loans and grants for its students and gets other Federal funding on multiple levels.

But, if Creighton can skate on technicalities, while others go to jail for the same action . . . then, "Bully for them!!" I guess.

38 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

USC is a private school, but they still get a good amount of federal funding.

As I understand it the root of the issue is falsifying Federal Pell Grant information of potential student athletes.  While it's true that not every school participates in the Pell Grant program, you can search for schools to do at the FASFA site:

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN

...and just in case you were curious, Duke has a Federal School Code.

Edited by 49r

Finally, the FBI indictments themselves name schools by their enrollment and status as a public or private University.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/26/ncaa-basketball-officials-arrested-on-fraud-and-corruption-charges.html

According to court documents, the sports apparel executive listed is James "Jim" Gatto, whose LinkedIn profile identifies him as Adidas' director of global sports marketing for basketball.

Gatto has been accused of getting $100,000 to an "All-American high school basketball player" — so the player would attend a school with an apparel contract with Adidas. No students in the probe have been identified by name.

A description of the university with ties to Gatto — a public institution in Kentucky with 22,640 students — would match the University of Louisville. A representative from the school didn't immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

A private school in Florida was also mentioned in the court papers, unidentified by name. It is believed to be the University of Miami, with roughly 16,000 students.

The University of Miami's director of athletics said in a statement to CNBC: "The University of Miami is aware of the indictments handed down today. ... As we are just learning the details, we cannot comment on the actions taken today by federal authorities. However, if requested, we will cooperate in any legal or NCAA review of the matter."

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

As I understand it the root of the issue is using Federal Pell Grant funds as a bribe to potential student athletes.  While it's true that not every school participates in the Pell Grant program, you can search for schools to do at the FASFA site:

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/schoolSearch?locale=en_EN

...and just in case you were curious, Duke has a Federal School Code.

They get quite a bit of federal research money, too.

Edited by uneblinstu

2 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

They get quite a bit of federal research money, too.

True.  However I think it's Pell Grant fraud that is at the root of this investigation.

Also, I can't think off the top of my head of any college or university that doesn't have faculty conducting federally funded research.  There may be, but it's probably safe to say every school in the NCAA receives federal research grants of one kind or another.