Developing story: NCAA fraud and corruption probe

Norm Peterson

I was a D1 baseball player at a small college in Denver and there was stuff going on then in 1968-1972. Laundry money was distributed to star players in higher proportion than non stars. Alumni slipped cash in our hands during hand shakes at parties. It was obviously worse in football and basketball. Been going on for many decades. Charles’s statement was not reckless In my opinion.

Then let’s just have an auction for top players.  

If some teams are trying to play by the rules, and others are cheating, that’s a defect in the system.  

I remember the NCAA putting Osborne’s team on probation for a slight technicality—and now we are told that, during the same time, other teams were paying players: seems ridiculously unfair!  

1 hour ago, bkamler said:

I was a D1 baseball player at a small college in Denver and there was stuff going on then in 1968-1972. Laundry money was distributed to star players in higher proportion than non stars. Alumni slipped cash in our hands during hand shakes at parties. It was obviously worse in football and basketball. Been going on for many decades. Charles’s statement was not reckless In my opinion.

I am very aware...very aware of what has occurred and what continues to occur.  Hence my prefatory comment.  But, this is reckless, especially if he is implying that crap at that level is widespread --  "...they said they gave that kid at Arizona (Ayton) $100,000. He was underpaid. There must’ve been closed bidding because I would’ve gave his (expletive) more."

If the NCAA institutions wanted to clean up the soft money paid to players, they could.  The institutions could simply give the NCAA investigators absolute power and allow them to institute penalties and swift punishment instead of the long drawn out process that seems intentional to make it hard to catch anyone.

15 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I am very aware...very aware of what has occurred and what continues to occur.  Hence my prefatory comment.  But, this is reckless, especially if he is implying that crap at that level is widespread --  "...they said they gave that kid at Arizona (Ayton) $100,000. He was underpaid. There must’ve been closed bidding because I would’ve gave his (expletive) more."

My understanding of that situation is that it wasn't the kid that was getting all the cash but an agent and/or AAU coach that were steering the kid to Arizona but i could have been confused.

• 3 weeks later...

NCAA Commission on College Basketball Proposal: End one-and-done; allow undrafted players to return to school; ban cheating coaches for life.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article209753829.html

The value of the stock of coaches who don't cheat might have just gone up.  A lot.

5 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

There is a big difference between the proposal of rules and the enactment of rules

The discussion on Sirius XM ESPN U this morning seemed to suggest that this commission would not have been formed (or at least Condoleeza Rice wouldn't have been involved) if they didn't achieve basically rubber-stamp approval of the recommendations they make.  So I am fairly optimistic about the enactment.

Now, *enforcement* might be another problem...

Although getting rid of the one-and-done does hurt the college game a bit (which can definitely be debated; just look at this year's tournament where the one-and-done schools dropped out of the tournament early), I do think it takes a little pressure off of the NCAA and college basketball. The argument that players have may options to further their NBA aspirations in places other than the NCAA has been around for years. But now the NCAA can stand behind the "we're not forcing anybody to be here" motto.