Eichorst Out

hskr4life

7 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

There's certainly a little merit to putting some pressure on some programs when the last conference football championship we played in was 5 years ago and the last one we won was 18 years ago. Our last basketball conference tournament championship was 23 years ago and the last outright regular season championship we won was 67 years ago. There's certainly some room for improvement.

We still have to hire an AD, and he'll have the call on the coach, so maybe it's just talk. But it seems like Bounds' standards are very high for athletics, and he's stating them as more than just lofty goals. Struck me as more than just the usual, "We'd like to compete at the highest levels .... "

8 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

This is what i'm gleaming from the Bounds quote versus "win this year or else".  Also, how great is it to have a president who cares about athletics?

Whether its great might depend on his level of competency at it.   Perlman cared a lot about athletics, he just sucked at it.   Reverse Midas touch.  Hopefully Bounds/Green do a much better job with making decisions that help advance the mission.  

26 minutes ago, HB said:

Whether its great might depend on his level of competency at it.   Perlman cared a lot about athletics, he just sucked at it.   Reverse Midas touch.  Hopefully Bounds/Green do a much better job with making decisions that help advance the mission.  

That line is worth a +1 :lol:

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

A top 25 finish is expecting us to be in the top 7% of all Divison I basketball programs. That's the equivalent percentage of saying we should be the #9 team in football every year. I'm not saying shoot for the stars, but let's at least shoot for being one of the 68 teams in the tournament first.

I guess I am shooting higher and perhaps towards more stretch type goals.  I would argue that in all our sports, our facilities are likely in the top 5 to 10 percent.  I would argue that our fan base is one of the most focused groups in the nation.  We have no pro teams and for the most part, the entire state focuses on the Husker programs.  Money is not the issue.  The sole issue is the limited number of recruits within a certain perimeter.  Every program has hurdles to overcome, and over the past many years, we haven't been able to get over our hurdle.  The question is why?

8 hours ago, HB said:

This is deja vu all over again. Ten years ago a horrible loss in October precipitates an irate fan base and profound media displeasure followed by a new AD, a new football coach, and a return to NU's rightful place in the sports hierarchy. Bite, chew, swallow, repeat.