2020 PF Ben Carlson -> Wisconsin

hhcmatt

If we can land this kid in the 2020 class, along with Donovan Williams and Dre Davis, I'm pretty stoked about this class.  But gotta get Big Ben in the fold.

2019 is alright if we get a big man in that class (kinda like the unranked kid who visited this weekend.)  But landing Carlson with the other two would be a real coup.

40 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If we can land this kid in the 2020 class, along with Donovan Williams and Dre Davis, I'm pretty stoked about this class.  But gotta get Big Ben in the fold.

2019 is alright if we get a big man in that class (kinda like the unranked kid who visited this weekend.)  But landing Carlson with the other two would be a real coup.

Having Chan for three years helps a lot. I think Zane will rise up once he starts playing at Brewster. Getting Carlson would make that class complete. Need to see Heiman develop, but I'm good with what they have. 

1 hour ago, thrasher31 said:

Having Chan for three years helps a lot. I think Zane will rise up once he starts playing at Brewster. Getting Carlson would make that class complete. Need to see Heiman develop, but I'm good with what they have. 

Perhaps this is true thrasher, but I want to lay my eyes on Dedoch and then judge.  I heard early-on that Dedoch had good offensive moves and game.  But I have heard nothing since.  I am not certain, but I do not believe he saw the floor during the Iowa State super secret scrimmage.  I hope that he can contribute this year, and then take a more substantive role the following two years.

Edited by Huskerpapa

38 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Perhaps this is true thrasher, but I want to lay my eyes on Decoch and then judge.  I heard early-on that Dedoch had good offensive moves and game.  But I have heard nothing since.  I am not certain, but I do not believe he saw the floor during the Iowa State super secret scrimmage.  I hope that he can contribute this year, and then take a more substantive role the following two years.

Not saying this will happen with Dedoch, but i dont think late additions have played early often under Tim Miles.

-Evan Taylor didnt really see an uptick in time until Anton Gills season ending injury

-Thor had never seen any minutes of significance either

-My guess is if Chan has an impact this year, it wont he until later in the year

*Am i missing any other late additions under Tim Miles?

13 minutes ago, 49r said:

I mean we already got the #1 recruiting class for 2020.  What do we need this guy for???

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/

/s

Fun/cool/exciting to see Husker Hoops #1 in a recruiting class...BUT, we all know that will change as the big boys rev their recruiting engines :)

3 hours ago, 49r said:

I mean we already got the #1 recruiting class for 2020.  What do we need this guy for???

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/

/s

I clicked on Nebraska and it has our "All-Time Commits."

Top 5- 80% Miles recruits. (4/5)

Top 10- 60% Miles recruits. (6/10)

Top 25- 68% Miles Recruits (17/25)

Edited by hskr4life

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I clicked on Nebraska and it has our "All-Time Commits."

Top 5- 80% Miles recruits. (4/5)

Top 10- 60% Miles recruits. (6/10)

Top 25- 68% Miles Recruits (17/25)

But nobody ever develops under Miles.  Except when they do, but then it's only because players develop over time just from osmosis, so you can't point to examples of players who developed as evidence to argue against the contention that Miles doesn't develop players. Has he been fired yet? Asking for a friend.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

But nobody ever develops under Miles.  Except when they do, but then it's only because players develop over time just from osmosis, so you can't point to examples of players who developed as evidence to argue against the contention that Miles doesn't develop players. Has he been fired yet? Asking for a friend.

Another interesting tidbit... if you include future recruits....

Top 5- 100% Miles (5/5)

Top 10- 70% Miles (7/10)

Top 25- 64% Miles (16/25)

• Of those recruits, our highest ever rated recruit is about to finish up his 4th year here as a starting PG.
  • Our 2nd highest rated recruit will be starting as a SO. this year as our 5th starter.
  • The only top 5 recruit to leave the program was Ed who will be starting at Marquette I believe.
  • Our 5th best rated recruit we are worried about leaving for the draft early.
  • Out of our top 10, 5/7 still play or will play for Nebraska.  Lost Ed and Jordy... will add Donovan Williams(4th) and D'Andre Davis (8th)
  • In the top 25 we have 5 future recruits- Akol, Jervay, Mika, D'Andre, and Donovan.  So it doesn't look like the talent pipeline will be slowing down any time soon.

Just now, hskr4life said:

Another interesting tidbit... if you include future recruits....

Top 5- 100% Miles (5/5)

Top 10- 70% Miles (7/10)

Top 25- 64% Miles (16/25)

• Of those recruits, our highest ever rated recruit is about to finish up his 4th year here as a starting PG.
  • Our 2nd highest rated recruit will be starting as a SO. this year as our 5th starter.
  • The only top 5 recruit to leave the program was Ed who will be starting at Marquette I believe.
  • Our 5th best rated recruit we are worried about leaving for the draft early.
  • Out of our top 10, 5/7 still play or will play for Nebraska.  Lost Ed and Jordy... will add Donovan Williams(4th) and D'Andre Davis (8th)
  • In the top 25 we have 5 future recruits- Akol, Jervay, Mika, D'Andre, and Donovan.  So it doesn't look like the talent pipeline will be slowing down any time soon.

Side note.... It also shows that we have never really had that many "dudes" to compete.  It shows that you need higher rated players to compete.

Side note 2.... this does not take into account transfers.

19 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

You must have been looking at the Rivals board again today...

15 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

He was further down the bench than the guy with the greatest name ever - Hurl Beechum.

Seriously, how did Iowa State have a class with Hoiberg, Meek-a-leek and Loren Meyer and go 23-33 in conference play in the four years they were there?

On 10/27/2018 at 12:37 AM, Dead Dog Alley said:

He was further down the bench than the guy with the greatest name ever - Hurl Beechum.

Seriously, how did Iowa State have a class with Hoiberg, Meek-a-leek and Loren Meyer and go 23-33 in conference play in the four years they were there?

Johnny Orr in his decline? Also, Kansas, OU, Missouri and ahem, DONU, had some pretty good teams in those years. 

9 hours ago, royalfan said:

I certainly don't think Miles staffs have been tremendous at player development.  

The number of Miles's staff that have become head coaches, and the number of graduate assistants who have progressed into the coaching ranks, suggest that people making hiring decisions for college basketball teams have a contrary view.  Terran Petteway, Shavon Shields, James Palmer, Isaac Copeland and Isaiah Roby may also have a contrary view.

18 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

The number of Miles's staff that have become head coaches, and the number of graduate assistants who have progressed into the coaching ranks, suggest that people making hiring decisions for college basketball teams have a contrary view.  Terran Petteway, Shavon Shields, James Palmer, Isaac Copeland and Isaiah Roby may also have a contrary view.

Dont forget Tai

Our ability to develop talent likely falls between all or nothing.  We have some players who I do not personally believe developed under the staff.  Examples being Jordy and Walter P.  However, development is a two-way street.  Not only does the coaching staff have to put in the effort, but the player has to be receptive and must work on the improvement pattern.

Others seem to have developed well.  I believe Glynn has improved significantly since he has been here.  Some of the improvement may not be glaringly clear, but the improvement is there.  With others, the skill-set improvement is very visible.  Players like Tai, Tanner, TP, James and many others have shown marked improvement.  But again, like those who maybe failed to develop, it is a two-way street.  The skills are taught, the opportunities and facilities and so forth are provided, but the players have to put in the work.  Many have.

13 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Our ability to develop talent likely falls between all or nothing.  We have some players who I do not personally believe developed under the staff.  Examples being Jordy and Walter P.  However, development is a two-way street.  Not only does the coaching staff have to put in the effort, but the player has to be receptive and must work on the improvement pattern.

Others seem to have developed well.  I believe Glynn has improved significantly since he has been here.  Some of the improvement may not be glaringly clear, but the improvement is there.  With others, the skill-set improvement is very visible.  Players like Tai, Tanner, TP, James and many others have shown marked improvement.  But again, like those who maybe failed to develop, it is a two-way street.  The skills are taught, the opportunities and facilities and so forth are provided, but the players have to put in the work.  Many have.

Id say that Jordy improved nicely in year one from the beginning to end of the season. He definitely took a step back last season. Not sure if that was injuries, attitude/work ethic, or coaching....or a combination of things. I personally think Jordy suffers from some other issues but that’s just my opinion.