Copeland

nustudent

12 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

nana is much more athletic, and i'd be surprised if he wasn't a much better defender than horne.

Horne was always going to have a problem playing defense because of his tweener status, but I talked to Nana's high school coach about him and he's got a ways to go defensively as well. There are a ton of great athletes who aren't good defenders. Nebraska has Palmer, Taylor, Roby, McVeigh and Copeland at the 2, 3 and 4, and that doesn't include Gill or Thorbjarnarson either. I think the Horne comparison is a solid conservative projection for him. If he can steal minutes form the upperclassmen, good for him. But that's what it will take for him to have a consistent, significant role.

I see Nana as this team's equivalent of Jeriah Horne. He'll be a spot up shooter, and if his shot is going in, he'll stay on the floor. If not, he'll get buried. At least that's how I see it. Just because someone is a great player in high school doesn't make them the same type of player in college. Adjusting to the college game takes time. Some adjust quicker, some take more time to adjust

This seems pretty accurate to me as well.. His job this year is to shoot the ball. If he's hitting shots, he'll play. Simple as that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:19 AM, basketballjones said:

Man... from what I've seen, Kaleb Joseph is pretty dang good. Surprised me to read that. 

Looks like Nick Bahe was right on this one.  Davion Mintz started at point for both their closed scrimmage against Minnesota and the charity exhibition against UNO, and didn't exactly fill the stat sheet. Meanwhile, Joseph sat out against Minnesota and played 9 minutes against UNO and didn't score. Could be a long 3 years for him at CU.

11 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Looks like Nick Bahe was right on this one.  Davion Mintz started at point for both their closed scrimmage against Minnesota and the charity exhibition against UNO, and didn't exactly fill the stat sheet. Meanwhile, Joseph sat out against Minnesota and played 9 minutes against UNO and didn't score. Could be a long 3 years for him at CU.

Yeah i remember when Nick Bahe was talking about that topic he referenced Terran and White for us and Marcus Foster for Creighton as players you hear about standing out and showing out during their redshirt year. Said he never heard things like that about Kaleb Joesph during his redshirt year.

However, it is worth noting that he is dealing with a hamstring injury.

i'm getting more and more down on joseph. he looked clunky in summer league, good athlete but not a good enough ball handler to utilize it. and now he's a month behind learning the system due to this hamstring issue. he will get minutes at PG because we have no other choice, but the best move for mac over the course of the season might be to give a majority of PG minutes to khyri and run with foster/mintz/mitch ballock/ty-shon alexander on the wing. 

weird to me as CU fan that we don't have a true pg. There's been a consistent chain of successors for quite some time now.

What bleujay said. The hamstring has been nagging Joseph for a while. I was honestly surprised he played in the exhibition, but I guess that's a good sign. Contrary to what all these national writers seem to think, he certainly hasn't earned the starting point guard job, even before the injury. It's still a work in progress. I like Mintz's talent still and Mitch Ballock is a brilliant passer for an off-guard, so three-guard lineups with him, Thomas and Foster could work out quite well for Creighton. But it's certainly a bigger question for the team right now even than center is I think, where Manny Suarez actually looked competent against Omaha (competition aside), Krampelj played well against Minnesota and Hegner seemed to move around pretty well in the exhibition after undergoing surgery during the offseason.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

I came here this morning expecting Copeland information — but get Jayskers talking about their team instead?  What’s with that?  Don’t we have a thread somewhere for those discussions?

Talk to Norm about that.

As for Copeland, hard to take away too much from that exhibition as I'm sure he's working off some rust but that 3-point shot is something to keep an eye on. He's going to take them. They went in as a freshman but didn't as a sophomore. Hard to tell what kind of a shooter he really is. 

32 minutes ago, Section_316 said:

Another quiet game? 

From a scoring perspective, perhaps.  How was his ball movement, how did he defend, how was his shot selection, how did he box out, et al?  One piece of his game may be MIA, but if he keeps his head on straight, prevents himself from forcing shots, keeps churning, his talent should allow him to pick up the scoring piece.

56 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

According to Miles, sounds like Isaac, Anton & Jordy need to "shake off the rust" regarding their respective injuries. I don't expect Copeland to be a 20/10 guy a night, but I DO believe he'll find his shot before we get to Christmas. 

I'm really glad that Copeland's 1st game isn't against KU. Very helpful to be getting the kinks worked out against some of the early season opponents instead of a top 5 opponent!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Oregon St. just now beat Oregon by double digits: 76-64.  And it looks like we won the lottery getting Isaac Copeland instead of Paul White.

Really? White is doing everything Copeland is but he's shooting 39% from 3 instead of the 27% that Cope is shooting. Both of those guys on this team would have been phenomenal.