Nebraska Football 2017-2018

hskr4life

Here is my issue, and it is an issue with fans in general.  So people are free to fire away at me at your leisure.  A "fan" is an enthusiast, a devotee, an admirer a supporter, a lover, a follower, a disciple, a connoisseur and yes perhaps a zealot.  You go to the games to relax, or to cheer or support your team.  They win or are winning and the spirits are high and life is grand.  They play bad or they are losing and you still are there to support and represent your team...wait, uhhh, no!   Because you are a true fan...a diehard supporter of the team, the city or university you get angry, embarrassed or whatever, and you get up in a huff and walk out.  So that is the definition of a "fan." 

I guess I am confused, I am the strange one for sticking it out and supporting the team to the bitter end; good, bad or ugly.  And oh yes, Saturday was both bad and ugly.  Perhaps the moniker of the "greatest fans" is correct for good ol Nebraska, because the greatest fans in college football got up and walked out on the team...again!  Why, I guess many fans wanted to show someone how upset they are.  Really...because again, that is what a "fan" of a team and a program does. 

A fan also has the option to use his/her discretion when they perceive the product they're deciding whether or not they'll consume is going to be a bad one. I'm not pulling my support for the program. Heck, I'm a season ticket holder for a P5 basketball team that's never even won a tournament game. A fan is not duty bound to watch a miserable game. I've sat through many miserable sporting events of all stripes.

You're not strange or confused for sticking it out. That's one of the options, too, but choosing not to watch Saturday's football game doesn't make someone a bad fan.

3 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Here is my issue, and it is an issue with fans in general.  So people are free to fire away at me at your leisure.  A "fan" is an enthusiast, a devotee, an admirer a supporter, a lover, a follower, a disciple, a connoisseur and yes perhaps a zealot.  You go to the games to relax, or to cheer or support your team.  They win or are winning and the spirits are high and life is grand.  They play bad or they are losing and you still are there to support and represent your team...wait, uhhh, no!   Because you are a true fan...a diehard supporter of the team, the city or university you get angry, embarrassed or whatever, and you get up in a huff and walk out.  So that is the definition of a "fan." 

I guess I am confused, I am the strange one for sticking it out and supporting the team to the bitter end; good, bad or ugly.  And oh yes, Saturday was both bad and ugly.  Perhaps the moniker of the "greatest fans" is correct for good ol Nebraska, because the greatest fans in college football got up and walked out on the team...again!  Why, I guess many fans wanted to show someone how upset they are.  Really...because again, that is what a "fan" of a team and a program does. 

Saw an ad, think it was on youtube, where people were explaining their love for baseball and when they first remember becoming fans of the game.

They were given ipads and started watching the famous video of Kirk Gibson up to bat in game 1 of the '88 World Series in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and future HOF Dennis Eckersley on the mound.

Anyway, we all know he hits a 2-run walk-off game-winning HR, BUT ...

As the ball flies over the wall, you can see in the background taillights light up in the parking lot of people who had left the game before it was over.

And the people in the ad are just dumbstruck.  They can't believe people left early and missed one of the most historic homeruns in the history of baseball.

I'm a stay-to-the-end guy, too.  I think most of us are.  Obviously, especially w/ men's basketball, many are not.  I think the thing that doomed Frank Solich was not just some of the losses but the way we got our asses handed to us by Kansas State (KANSAS STATE!) at HOME his last season.  That infamous game where Bo Pelini did what I wanted to do: run to catch up to Bill Snyder so he could call him an asshole to his face.

Anyway, four years later, Bill Callahan's fate was sealed when fans walked out during bad home losses to Okie State (OKIE STATE! We're supposed to do that to THEM) and Texas Tech.  When the fans started heading for the doors early in football games, it's a bad sign for the head coach.  A really bad sign.

I've heard arguments for keeping Riley, or, more recently, arguments as to why the blame for the bad stuff going on falls in someone else's lap.  But the bottom line is that we're getting our asses kicked at home.  And fans are voting with their feet.  And that's the surest recipe for a head coach getting fired from the Nebraska football program that I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Saw an ad, think it was on youtube, where people were explaining their love for baseball and when they first remember becoming fans of the game.

They were given ipads and started watching the famous video of Kirk Gibson up to bat in game 1 of the '88 World Series in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and future HOF Dennis Eckersley on the mound.

Anyway, we all know he hits a 2-run walk-off game-winning HR, BUT ...

As the ball flies over the wall, you can see in the background taillights light up in the parking lot of people who had left the game before it was over.

And the people in the ad are just dumbstruck.  They can't believe people left early and missed one of the most historic homeruns in the history of baseball.

I'm a stay-to-the-end guy, too.  I think most of us are.  Obviously, especially w/ men's basketball, many are not.  I think the thing that doomed Frank Solich was not just some of the losses but the way we got our asses handed to us by Kansas State (KANSAS STATE!) at HOME his last season.  That infamous game where Bo Pelini did what I wanted to do: run to catch up to Bill Snyder so he could call him an asshole to his face.

Anyway, four years later, Bill Callahan's fate was sealed when fans walked out during bad home losses to Okie State (OKIE STATE! We're supposed to do that to THEM) and Texas Tech.  When the fans started heading for the doors early in football games, it's a bad sign for the head coach.  A really bad sign.

I've heard arguments for keeping Riley, or, more recently, arguments as to why the blame for the bad stuff going on falls in someone else's lap.  But the bottom line is that we're getting our asses kicked at home.  And fans are voting with their feet.  And that's the surest recipe for a head coach getting fired from the Nebraska football program that I've ever seen.

Although I understand that "voting process" it doesn't mean I have to be a fan :) of it.  I can articulate my position to those in charge verbally or in writing rather than walking out on a contest.  I hear (mostly chuckles) from many fan bases who chastise me for the action of our fans.  My response typically points to the fact that our fans still buy the tickets and show up to the start of each game.  I then digress to the fact that the bathrooms have something wrong with them and fans simply have to leave to find a spot to relieve themselves...or something like that. 

The thing is, we are not separating ourselves from the bad fan bases by walking out on our team.  We should be able to make our point without having to vacate the team when they need us the most.  If we truly want to believe that we have the best fans out there, shouldn't we then support our team and coaches through thick and thin or until the administration makes the change.

I think Riley still has a chance.  He has to win his next 3, stay competitive with Penn State and beat Iowa.  That looks slightly easier than it looked when Ohio State was moving the ball at will against us.  Purdue has comeback to earth, losing to Rutgers today.  Minnesota is inconsistent.  Northwestern is also inconsistent.  Iowa has trouble running the ball, and at times stopping the ball. 

Lee has been playing better.  His last 3 games, 2 against very good defenses.  He is 56-94-1-811-6 for a QB rating of 150.98, which would put him 4th in the Big 10.  I think getting Wilbon healthy for that make them miss, and once the defense wears down bring in Ozigbo to pound at them. 

The key for Riley's future is going to be the play of the defense.  If they play like they did against Northern Illinois, Rutgers, and Illinois, this team has some wins in it.  If not, Riley will not get a 4th year.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

I think Riley still has a chance.  He has to win his next 3, stay competitive with Penn State and beat Iowa.  That looks slightly easier than it looked when Ohio State was moving the ball at will against us.  Purdue has comeback to earth, losing to Rutgers today.  Minnesota is inconsistent.  Northwestern is also inconsistent.  Iowa has trouble running the ball, and at times stopping the ball. 

Lee has been playing better.  His last 3 games, 2 against very good defenses.  He is 56-94-1-811-6 for a QB rating of 150.98, which would put him 4th in the Big 10.  I think getting Wilbon healthy for that make them miss, and once the defense wears down bring in Ozigbo to pound at them. 

The key for Riley's future is going to be the play of the defense.  If they play like they did against Northern Illinois, Rutgers, and Illinois, this team has some wins in it.  If not, Riley will not get a 4th year.

But Iowa will play outta their ass when they meet the Huskers.

A month ago I talked to a guy in an airport that worked for Husker Illustrated, and was coming back from doing a feature on him.  Said he was the nicest kid and very leveled headed.

I asked him if Riley goes is he still coming?  He said "no"  so fast I almost didn't get the last part of the question out.  Said he loves Riley and The DB coach.  But otherwise it was pretty far from home.

So it does kind of look like the end is neer.  Don't know when but I think it is close.  Also have no idea who we get.  Didn't ask those questions.;)

I still have no idea why people are shocked by this season.  The only loss I didn't see coming was the Northern Illinois game, and I think the way Lee is playing now, we win that game.  We have 3 scholarship senior starters.  One got injured and replaced by a RS Freshmen.  Is Riley still around if we somehow win out?  Is he gone regardless of how we finish?  Would Bookie comeback if Riley stays?  Is Frost a slam dunk to come back home?  

To answer my own ?'s.  Riley should be back unless we don't get to 6 wins.  We have a boatload of starters returning next year.  History has shown defenses perform better in the 2nd year.  Our last 3 DC'S (Carl/Bo, Cosgrove,  and Banker) all improved drastically in their 2nd year (did not include Papuchis as he was DC in name only).  I think Bookie is gone because of the early signing date.  I think Frost would come back, but it would remain to be seen how good he would do in the Big 10, especially in regards to recruiting. 

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

I still have no idea why people are shocked by this season.  The only loss I didn't see coming was the Northern Illinois game, and I think the way Lee is playing now, we win that game.  We have 3 scholarship senior starters.  One got injured and replaced by a RS Freshmen.  Is Riley still around if we somehow win out?  Is he gone regardless of how we finish?  Would Bookie comeback if Riley stays?  Is Frost a slam dunk to come back home?  

To answer my own ?'s.  Riley should be back unless we don't get to 6 wins.  We have a boatload of starters returning next year.  History has shown defenses perform better in the 2nd year.  Our last 3 DC'S (Carl/Bo, Cosgrove,  and Banker) all improved drastically in their 2nd year (did not include Papuchis as he was DC in name only).  I think Bookie is gone because of the early signing date.  I think Frost would come back, but it would remain to be seen how good he would do in the Big 10, especially in regards to recruiting. 

I am not sure shocked is the correct word.  But the reason Coach Riley is on the block seems easy (for me) to see:

• Somewhat bad loss to a really average Oregon team.  It didn't appear we were prepared to play that game out of the gate.
  • A really bad home loss to a non-power five team...
  • A badly played second half resulting in a home loss vs. Wisconsin
  • A badly played game at home against Ohio State resulting in a blow out
  • The firing of SE
  • The lack of progress (or so it seems) with our non-skill players on offense (offensive line)
  • The appearance that players are not developing exponentially in some of the player groups
  • The appearance that we are probably at least two years away from turning the corner
  • The lack of a running game
  • The lack of a true identity
  • The appearance that most fans care more than some team members
  • The fact that fans must fixate more on who we have coming in as players than the current players on the roster.

All the above said, it is hard NOT to like Coach Riley and his staff.  This staff is almost the direct opposite of Coach Bo and his staff.  But, results matter, and the results are lackluster at best.

Edited by huskercwg