OT: Eclipse Plans

Sorry for the OT, but this is basically a once-in-a-lifetime type experience coming up here on Monday and if you're in Lincoln, you are very fortunate to be in the path of total eclipse, which, from what I've heard and read, is a pretty spectacular thing to observe.

So, what are everyone's plans?

I've obtained some eclipse glasses.  If you haven't done so already, you should get on it because most places are running out and fast.  The good news is that if you are in the path of total eclipse (which I am), then you won't need those glasses during the short duration of total eclipse.

I'll say that again:  As I understand it, you won't need the eclipse glasses during the brief period of total eclipse.

In Lincoln, we'll get about 1 minute of total eclipse at about 1 p.m., during which time the sky will go about as dark as night and you'll be able to see some stars, provided there aren't a lot of clouds.

As you travel south, the closer you get to Beatrice (actually just north of), the longer the period of total eclipse will last, reaching about 2 1/2 minutes of total eclipse just a 40 minute drive south of here.

Here's a blurb about the eclipse experience from Space.com:

A total solar eclipse is considered one of the most amazing sights that the sky has to offer. Some eclipse enthusiasts argue that it is more awe-inspiring than the auroras. 

"Once you're in totality … it's going to go dark really fast," Speck said. "It goes from an early twilight color to almost full-moon dark really quickly, like in a second.

"There's going to be what looks like a hole in the sky where the moon is," she continued. "Around that, you're going to see these streamers of white light. That's the corona, or atmosphere of the sun. And that's always there. We just don't get to see it, except when sun is eclipsed. You're also going to get to see stars, planets … there'll be Venus, Mars, Mercury and Jupiter. There's a whole bunch of things to see up there." 

And the eclipse isn't just visual, Speck said. Observers will also notice a drop in temperature, a sudden breeze and changes in animal behavior, such as birds going silent or nocturnal insects beginning to chirp.

https://www.space.com/37779-one-week-until-total-solar-eclipse.html

Oh Lord LPS has a huge, I'm telling you HUGE thing planned.

And yes Norm when it is the total time you can look without the glasses.  But any other time as the moon is getting or going in front of the sun you need your glasses to look at it.

Now if you don't want to look or are staying inside you don't need glasses.

Also check your glasses now it should be total black out, when you put them on unless you are looking at the sun and it will look a bit like the moon.

Should be really cool hope the weather works out.

Probably a little late if you haven't made plans or you don't live in the path but if you live in Omaha and have the time to travel a short distance, you absolutely should.

The difference between a 99% eclipse and 100% eclipse is a factor of 1000% in terms of darkness. I'll be viewing in Lincoln and we have a bunch of family coming just to see this.  

The next two total eclipses in the continental US will be in 2024 and 2045.

One of the longest times for totality is here in mid-MO.  I have called in sick already and will be heading out to a local winery to watch the big show.  The place is having a weekend of fun leading up to Monday.  I have a spot picked out in one of their fields and will have a bottle of my favorite wine from the establishment.  Will also be trying to photograph the big event.

Also, based on posts from a conservation agent I know in Nebraska, plan on extra drive times as folks are flocking in from around the world to see the event.  I heard hotels in Casper Wyoming were going for upwards of $2000 a night.

Edited by colhusker

Glad you asked, Norm. 

Hampton is smack dab in the middle of the eye of totality.  Astronaut Clayton Anderson is part of our ceremony.  A crowd from 2000 to 5000 is expected on Monday. 

Conlee's is open for breakfast Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  We have karaoke Sunday night starting at 8.  Free eclipse glasses for those who watch the eclipse with us. 

Nebraska Star Beef burgers and hot dogs on the grill outside Conlee's Monday morning.  Of course, steaks anytime.

So, that's what I'm doing.   :)

17 hours ago, HB said:

Saltdogs are having a game during the eclipse.   That ought to cause a few issues with seeing the ball and concentration when the moment arrives.  

They're going to stop the game for that. The darkening sky is a different story.

Probably a little late if you haven't made plans or you don't live in the path but if you live in Omaha and have the time to travel a short distance, you absolutely should.
The difference between a 99% eclipse and 100% eclipse is a factor of 1000% in terms of darkness. I'll be viewing in Lincoln and we have a bunch of family coming just to see this.  

The next two total eclipses in the continental US will be in 2024 and 2045.
I'll be 87 when the last of the two you listed comes around. Hope I'm around for both

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk