Brady Heiman is 'N'

This article says at the NebHSRecruiting Top 50 showcase on Aug. 1 they measured the participants. It says they measured Heiman's standing reach of 105.5 inches, no step vertical of 31.5, height 6' 10.5", weight 197 pounds, wingspan 81.25 inches and hand-size of 9 inches.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/platteview-big-man-brady-heiman-moves-quickly-commits-to-nebraska/article_40a373d2-7cb6-11e7-82eb-0bea119a29d6.html

They list the stats for the top 50 from Nebraska under the above article including height/weight, wingspan, standing reach, no-step vertical jump and hand-size for each player.

Edited by trickey
accuracy

4 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I just don't see it. 

That's certainly what would have been said if we had offered the less heralded Mike Daum out of HS.

Heiman isn't a Power 5 center ATM and he might never be.  He might be the next Roy Enright or the next Rich King here or anywhere inbetween

His higher level of play these last few weeks earned him several D-1 offers in addition to NU and CU. We'll see if that level is still there next year in HS.

To me it seems more like a matter of when he will be impactful than if he will be.

4 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I just don't see it. 

People didn't see it with the Daum kid either and look how that turned out.

But then people also didn't see it with Jose Bonilla and look how that turned out.  (Yeah, there's a reason you don't recognize Jose Bonilla's name.)

And for every Daum, there are probably, what, a couple dozen Jose Bonillas?

8 hours ago, trickey said:

This article says at the NebHSRecruiting Top 50 showcase on Aug. 1 they measured the participants. It says they measured Heiman's standing reach of 105.5 inches, no step vertical of 31.5, height 6' 10.5", weight 107 pounds, wingspan 81.25 inches and hand-size of 9 inches.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/platteview-big-man-brady-heiman-moves-quickly-commits-to-nebraska/article_40a373d2-7cb6-11e7-82eb-0bea119a29d6.html

They list the stats for the top 50 from Nebraska under the above article including height/weight, wingspan, standing reach, no-step vertical jump and hand-size for each player.

The no-step vertical is good.  The wingspan isn't.  For comparison purposes, Jordy's wingspan is 89 inches.

His height is 82.5 inches.  You'd like his wingspan to be at least a little more than his height.

Edited by Norm Peterson

8 hours ago, trickey said:

This article says at the NebHSRecruiting Top 50 showcase on Aug. 1 they measured the participants. It says they measured Heiman's standing reach of 105.5 inches, no step vertical of 31.5, height 6' 10.5", weight 107 pounds, wingspan 81.25 inches and hand-size of 9 inches.

Get that kid a cheeseburger!

I like the pickup.  I think it says something about the kid that he committed just 2 days after his home state school offered.  I know that in this era of college basketball you generally don't get the time to develop kids, but he may be the exception.  If all he's ever wanted to be is a Husker, then he may very well be willing to redshirt/play limited minutes early in his career and stick it out rather than transfer.  That gives him a chance to develop into something solid as an upperclassmen at DONU.

47 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I like the pickup.  I think it says something about the kid that he committed just 2 days after his home state school offered.  I know that in this era of college basketball you generally don't get the time to develop kids, but he may be the exception.  If all he's ever wanted to be is a Husker, then he may very well be willing to redshirt/play limited minutes early in his career and stick it out rather than transfer.  That gives him a chance to develop into something solid as an upperclassmen at DONU.

Oh he's absolutely redshirting. I think we should've done what Creighton did and ask him to go to prep school for a year, but I'll take an in-state commit.

After watching that hudl video Hal9000 posted, I'm calling this a good pick up for us.

Kid is still maturing, but he shows the ability to do an awful lot in that video.  Handles the ball well in the open floor.  Runs the floor pretty fast.  Spins both left and right.  Showed a good looking jumper.  Nice spin move to a righty hook in the lane.  Good touch, good feel around the basket.  And good sense of his own body in space.  I was expecting him to look a little uncoordinated as lanky tall kids often are.  But he really has good coordination.

He needs to get stronger of course (which he almost certainly will), but he shows some skills.  A lot of skills.  A lot of good skills.

I'm going to say it now:  This will come back to bite McDermott in the butt that he effectively passed on this kid by making a 2019 offer contingent on him going to a prep school for a year.  The kid will probably get more out of a redshirt year in Lincoln, to be honest.

Welcome aboard, Brady.