2017 SG - Thorir Thorbjarnarson - LOI

swoof

Just think his dad's first name is Thorbjarnar.

All people from Iceland get there last name from their father's first name and then add the son or daughter.

So brothers and sister don't have the same last name even if they have the same father.

Also as of like march of this year they have firgued out that everybody born on the Island or some how related.  Only like 350,000 people live there.

It is one of the coolest places I have ever been.  The people are beutiful and so is the land, it is tough living there but they love it.

16 hours ago, hskr4life said:

OK.  Watched the film.  Interesting prospect.  Hmmmm.  I have some thoughts and observations as you might expect.

One of the things I notice but don't often comment on is guys looking sluggish getting up and down the floor.  That was my impression, for instance, watching Traveon Maddox's video.  Kid kinda walked or slow jogged a lot in his vid.  Thorir, here, OTOH, seems to have a motor.  I like that.

Very quick release.  Appears to be very accurate and have pretty substantial range on his shot. 

Fast in the open floor, good on the break.  Handles the ball fairly well, actually, and has the euro step down.  Not sure what he can do taking a defender off the dribble but he runs the break pretty well.  Makes himself available for outlet passes, seems to know how to get himself open.

I kinda like the looks of this kid.  You can talk about the level of the opponent, but just watching this kid's film, he's able to do some things.  He plays like what I sort of hoped we'd see from Jack McVeigh, honestly.

Does he have any friends who are big men?

7 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Life comes at you fast. You beat me to this! Velkominn, Thorir! ?? 

20120415-sheeps-head.jpg

I hear the Icelandic fare served this weekend at the Miles household was the clincher.  Do you suppose they will start offering this at the PBA concessions?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/guide-to-food-iceland-fish-whale-skyr-hot-dogs.html

Edited by HuskerCager

Some more video:

He doesn't get a lot of air underneath his sneakers when he shoots jumpers.  Would like to see him get a bit more elevation.

He also needs to learn to protect the ball when he drives to the rim instead of just holding it out to the side.

And for gawdsakes, someone PLEASE make sure you check the box that says he's fluent in English or has taken whatever the test is, or our admissions people will not let him enroll.

Learned that lesson once before (cough Jorge Brian Diaz cough cough)

Edited by Norm Peterson

6 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

20120415-sheeps-head.jpg

I hear the Icelandic fare served this weekend at the Miles household was the clincher.  Do you suppose they will start offering this at the PBA concessions?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/04/guide-to-food-iceland-fish-whale-skyr-hot-dogs.html

Maybe we only bust this out for when the C-word visits?

If it makes you grow from 6' 4" to 6' 6" like it did for Thorir, we need this at the training table, too.

24 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

20120415-sheeps-head.jpg

Whatever they served, Mrs. Miles better keep it on the menu!  :)

(or, Maybe it was Wilderness Ridge that made him feel right at home! :))

Edited by Red Don

Small sample size(7 games) but he shot 28%(21/73) from the field and 14%(4/28) from 3PT in the U20 European Championship.  Did better the previous year at the U18 event scoring 19PPG shooting 38% from the field and 30% from 3PT.  Worst case he transfers out after the year if it doesn't work out...would much rather have the body than not using the scholarship. 

So now that he is committed, what do we think?

Talent scouting and projecting isnt my forte so i like to differ on these types of matters. Does anybody have a comparison of the level of competition he faced at the U18 amd U20 games (high, mid, low D1, D2, NAIA, etc)?

Also, does this say alot about Gill's status? I remember in one of our earlier sunshine filled summer articles it said Gill was gonna come back "better than ever".

4 minutes ago, Neebrasketball said:

Agree with huskerbaseball13 about the shooting % being a concern, but also hope he has improved his off hand.  I did not see him once finish with his right hand or use it dribbling in traffic.

Nick Fuller proved that we should be able to fool at least one team who doesn't know he is left handed