2017 SG - Thorir Thorbjarnarson - LOI

swoof

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

...and not even CLOSE to 20 pages...

Speaking of which, is this about the quickest we've ever gone from start of a recruiting thread to offer to commit?

I was just starting to type "Looks like we're interested in some Icelandic basketball player."  Before I could submit, news of the offer came.

By the time I had a chance to edit it to "Looks like we're interested in we've offered some Icelandic basketball player" the news of the commit came through and I just said to hell with it and posted a video.

I just watched a 4 minute highlight video of him and here are my thoughts.

1. He is a good ball handler seems to always be in control of the ball. 

2. He has a good behind the back dribble move which again shows good ball control. But, I am just imagining him in a big ten game where the other team has scouted his only move and steals it twice in a row, Miles sits him for the rest of the game, exc.

3. He doesn't seem to be too athletic but knows how to get to the rim and will dunk it if he can. Also seems to be more quick than he is a great jumper as far as athletisism goes.

I'm excited to get another guy on the roster he has great size especially for a ball handler. Hopefully he can use that to his advantage on defense but at this point his ability on defense is a total mystery to me.

His chance of red shirting will be heavily affected by Isaac Copelands eligibility in my opinion. Unless he's just ready to contribute either way which is hopefully the case.

2 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Anybody know who the lead recruiter was for him?  And because I am too lazy to look it up today, can anyone tell me the distance of the three point line in international play in comparison to American college?

From Wikipedia:

The distance from the basket to the three-point line varies by competition level: in the National Basketball Association (NBA) the arc is 23 feet 9 inches (7.24 m) from the basket; in FIBA and the WNBA (the latter uses FIBA's three-point line standard) the arc is 6.75 metres or 22 feet 1 34 inches from the basket; and in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) the arc is 20 feet 9 inches (6.32 m) from the basket. In the NBA and FIBA/WNBA, the three-point line becomes parallel to each sideline at the points where the arc is 3 feet (0.91 m) from each sideline; as a result the distance from the basket gradually decreases to a minimum of 22 feet (6.71 m). In the NCAA the arc is continuous for 180° around the basket.

See i think his potential playing time is more dependant on Antons rehab. If Copeland is ineligible to start, you've got:

PG: Watson and Allen

SG: ET and Gill

SF: Palmer and Nana

PF: Roby and Jack

C: Jordy and Duby

Now add in if Copeland isnt eligible and Anton is a non factor then Thor slides in to the "two deep". If Gill bounces back, Thor could be a strong RS candidate. If Gill bounces back AND Copeland is eligible from the start he almost certainly would RS imo. Bc with IC eligible, either Jack or Roby take more minutes from the SF spot which then cause Palmer/Nana to take more minutes from SG.

43 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Speaking of which, is this about the quickest we've ever gone from start of a recruiting thread to offer to commit?

I was just starting to type "Looks like we're interested in some Icelandic basketball player."  Before I could submit, news of the offer came.

By the time I had a chance to edit it to "Looks like we're interested in we've offered some Icelandic basketball player" the news of the commit came through and I just said to hell with it and posted a video.

It looks like Duby was close, his commitment is on page 3 of his thread.  Thor's commitment came on page 2.

20 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

His chance of red shirting will be heavily affected by Isaac Copelands eligibility in my opinion. Unless he's just ready to contribute either way which is hopefully the case.

Highly doubtful he's going to redshirt regardless of Copeland's eligibility 

I could have sworn i read somewhere the phrase "inconsistent shooter"

That sort of feels right here from seeing some of his international numbers

Seems like he's the sort of combo guard we look for...maybe a shorter McVeigh with some handles?

19 hours ago, rwhiston said:

But the kid has got some swagger in his game.

This stood out to me. A lot of his highlights are punctuated by gestures and yelling. I think our team could use a little bit of this type of passion.

23 minutes ago, khoock said:

Looks like Ali was the connection before he left. NU had been scouting Thor for a couple months.

He also had interest from Utah, Umass, and Drake

Did Ali take the scouting and interest with him to Drake?  Or were they already interested I wonder?

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Anybody know who the lead recruiter was for him?  And because I am too lazy to look it up today, can anyone tell me the distance of the three point line in international play in comparison to American college?

Good point about 3 pt distance in international play.  Remember our Spain trip and Andrew White was clanking them in at a rate of 22%?  That certainly changed when he got to move closer in for shots in the regular season, huh?

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Toney McCray

Wow that's pretty crazy and I think it may be time for us to end talking about red shirting once and for all.

2 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Ray Gallegos had the unconventional mid-career redshirt

Interesting even that was 3 years ago right?

1 hour ago, khoock said:

See i think his potential playing time is more dependant on Antons rehab. If Copeland is ineligible to start, you've got:

PG: Watson and Allen

SG: ET and Gill

SF: Palmer and Nana

PF: Roby and Jack

C: Jordy and Duby

I kind of see it a little differently.  I don't think Miles really has five sharply defined positions.  I think Allen and Watson will very likely play alongside each other at various times during the season.  Both can shoot; both can handle the ball; it's not beyond Miles to have two guys like that in the game at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I kind of see it a little differently.  I don't think Miles really has five sharply defined positions.  I think Allen and Watson will very likely play alongside each other at various times during the season.  Both can shoot; both can handle the ball; it's not beyond Miles to have two guys like that in the game at the same time.

Agreed. When i did my statistical predictions i think i had Glynn at 32 min and Allen at 17. So even tho i see Allen as getting the PG min when Glynn is resting, there is still some overlap in minutes where i think they will play together.

For me, its easier to process by assigning "positions" and depth charts. FWIW, i have Allen getting more minutes than ET and Gill (bold i know, based off Miles liking for upperclassmen).