Huskers in the Pros Thread

hhcmatt

I don't remember a ton about the Doc days and even less about the Collier, but I can't say that we ever had a lot of players get invited to do workouts with NBA teams.  Now it seems like we have 3-4 every year that declare, get invited to work out, etc.  Anton played a nice role this year, but he played just that... a role.  And here he is getting a workout with an NBA team.  Big kudos to Anton for that, but I think an even bigger kudos needs to go out to Miles for getting Nebraska basketball to this point.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

I don't remember a ton about the Doc days and even less about the Collier, but I can't say that we ever had a lot of players get invited to do workouts with NBA teams.  Now it seems like we have 3-4 every year that declare, get invited to work out, etc.  Anton played a nice role this year, but he played just that... a role.  And here he is getting a workout with an NBA team.  Big kudos to Anton for that, but I think an even bigger kudos needs to go out to Miles for getting Nebraska basketball to this point.

It was also a very different time between the NCAA and NBA during those years. The invites and emphasis on G-League has really exploded over the past 5 or so years.

48 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The Hornets are sort of in Anton's back yard, so hopefully this is more than a courtesy try-out.

It probably isn't anything more than that, but if he can earn himself a slot on a summer league team all the better for him!

2 hours ago, Red Don said:

I don't quite understand what's going on here.  Is Shavon going to the Summer League?  Euroleague??  One thing that is clear is he's opting out from Trento though.  Is Trento not in Euroleague?  Is Euroleague the Summer League?

So many questions.

Edited by 49r

2 hours ago, 49r said:

I don't quite understand what's going on here.  Is Shavon going to the Summer League?  Euroleague??  One thing that is clear is he's opting out from Trento though.  Is Trento not in Euroleague?  Is Euroleague the Summer League?

So many questions.

Shavon Shields is playing for the Pelicans in the Summer League. Apparently, he is kind of a big deal in Italia.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

So many questions.

My understanding is that he's turning down a deal in hopes to get a better deal in Euroleague. In the meantime, during the offseason, he's going to play in the Summer League.

1 minute ago, HuskerFever said:

My understanding is that he's turning down a deal in hopes to get a better deal in Euroleague. In the meantime, during the offseason, he's going to play in the Summer League.

Yeah, that's kind of how I read it.  But seems kind of risky, no?

52 minutes ago, 49r said:

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, but I suppose that even the prospect of getting into the NBA has much more value to some people than a stable career elsewhere.

Then again, maybe there's no faux pas in these situations if these leagues see it as a way to get free training out of a player?

39 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I wouldn't pretend to be an expert, but I suppose that even the prospect of getting into the NBA has much more value to some people than a stable career elsewhere.

Then again, maybe there's no faux pas in these situations if these leagues see it as a way to get free training out of a player?

Well if you're gonna gamble on your career, the mid-20's is the time to do it.  And really, worst case scenario for Shavon is he has to go to med school if this whole basketball thing fizzles out.  Not a bad fall back plan if you ask me!

On 6/18/2018 at 8:07 PM, 49r said:

Not really. There are a ton of levels on the European pyramid of basketball. While the top level of Italian basketball is pretty high up there his good showing means that even if he doesn't land with a nba or eurocup squad he will be plenty in demand for any high end country specific league. Eurocup is made up of the top teams of the various European leagues.