Huskers in the Pros Thread

hhcmatt

15 minutes ago, busticket said:

In fairness great college players don’t translate into great pros at times.  For instance, I would take Luka Garza over all three of those players 100 out of 100 times.  Who wouldn’t?  I would also take Marcus Zigarowski (or however you spell it) over all three of those guys.  NBA talent can be overrated when you are talking college basketball.  I want great college basketball players.  

Roby was a great college player.

42 minutes ago, busticket said:

In fairness great college players don’t translate into great pros at times.  For instance, I would take Luka Garza over all three of those players 100 out of 100 times.  Who wouldn’t?  I would also take Marcus Zigarowski (or however you spell it) over all three of those guys.  NBA talent can be overrated when you are talking college basketball.  I want great college basketball players.  

That can certainly be true for system based teams that over achieve. But NBA rosters are full of former Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga etc. players.

3 hours ago, Vinny said:

That can certainly be true for system based teams that over achieve. But NBA rosters are full of former Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga etc. players.

NBA and college are just different games. 
Garza would have started anywhere in the country regardless of system…he was the college POY.  Kofi Cockburn would have too.  In wouldn’t say either guy overachieved at the college level at all.  But their games don’t translate to the modern NBA.  Banton, on the other hand, has tools that do translate. 

On 7/22/2022 at 7:12 AM, Vinny said:

That really makes it hurt, considering what we’ve done with that talent vs what they have done.

We need to kill off this sort of thinking.  The only people that care about the blue school's accomplishments are Nebraskans.  I realize a lot of Husker fans pine for any modicum of success, but on a national level no one cares about them.

They like to act like they are an elite basketball school.  They have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen one time since 1975.  They played UC Santa Barbara (who they beat by one damn point) and Ohio to get there.  The Sweet Sixteen is essentially the football equivalent of playing in the Citrus Bowl.

Marquette is a private Catholic-Jesuit institution of similar size in the same conference.  The pedigree isn't even close.

1 hour ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Marquette is a private Catholic-Jesuit institution of similar size in the same conference.  The pedigree isn't even close.

Marquette has a better pedigree but since Creighton joined the Big East 9 years ago Marquette has only finished ahead of them in the standings one time.

I am surprised how well they have competed in the Big East being a former mid major in Omaha.  I still believe we can be a very solid Big Ten program but the coaching and culture has to be strong for us to do it.

49 minutes ago, busticket said:

Marquette has a better pedigree but since Creighton joined the Big East 9 years ago Marquette has only finished ahead of them in the standings one time.

I am surprised how well they have competed in the Big East being a former mid major in Omaha.  I still believe we can be a very solid Big Ten program but the coaching and culture has to be strong for us to do it.

It'$ difficult for $ome people to acknowledge the $ucc$$ that team ha$ had in a $olid ba$ketball conference. Other$ can name 100,000 rea$on$.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:52 AM, busticket said:

Birdschool tends to get much more highly-touted recruits than Nebraska does as well.  Last year's class with four Top-100 guys was insane. Kaluma and Alexander probably get to the NBA, Nembhard is a G-Leaguer with his small stature. So really no surprise that they have had more on-court success.

They get predominantly 3 and 4-star talent.  Zegarowski was a Top-100 4-star.  Even Ty-Shon Alexander, their most recent NBA washout was a Top-100 4-star.

But they can't seem to get guys to the next level. They definitely did not prepare Justin Patton for success, physically or mentally.  The only players that really seemed to make development leaps were Khyri Thomas and the Coach's Kid.  Khyri was already incredibly efficient his freshman year, so I'm not really sure how much the staff is even responsible for his improvement? They essentially doubled his minutes his sophomore and junior years and his stats responded accordingly. Thus, it would appear that the only way to achieve proper instruction and development at C-word is to have once dripped from the shriveled ballsack of McDermott the elder.

I don't think it's any secret that McDermott is a massive douche bag. It's like having a micro-managing boss...maybe the current task at hand gets done a little better and more efficiently, but the employees' personal development is stunted in the long-run.

1 hour ago, busticket said:

They almost always won the Missouri Valley.  Their endowment was probably 3-7x larger than any other school in the conference the last decade.

Marquette cycles through head coaches pretty frequently.  If high standards don't result in a firing, then on-court success equates promotion to a bigger school.  Rick Majerus, Tom Crean, and Buzz Williams are recent examples of this.

Blue School's Big East involvement coincides perfectly with the replacement of Buzz Williams with Steve Wojciechowski.  Wojo was a Coach K disciple with lots of high hopes, but he flopped and is now unemployed.  I'm long on Shaka.

UNL will never be one of the large fish in the B1G fish bowl in terms of endowment size.  Long-term success for us will not be the same as it was in the Big 8/XII.

5 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

We need to kill off this sort of thinking.  The only people that care about the blue school's accomplishments are Nebraskans.  I realize a lot of Husker fans pine for any modicum of success, but on a national level no one cares about them.

They like to act like they are an elite basketball school.  They have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen one time since 1975.  They played UC Santa Barbara (who they beat by one damn point) and Ohio to get there.  The Sweet Sixteen is essentially the football equivalent of playing in the Citrus Bowl.

I was talking about Iowa as much as I was Creighton. Maybe that line of thinking is in your head more than it is in mine.

20 hours ago, Vinny said:

I was talking about Iowa as much as I was Creighton. Maybe that line of thinking is in your head more than it is in mine.

I'm definitely not sure what is going on in your head.  Iowa hasn't been a bastion of NCAA Tournament success either.  Alford at best had an NIT/First Round contender, Lickliter was a dumpster fire, and McCaffery hasn't ever advanced past the Second Round.  My point was that most fanbases don't consider this to be a high level of success.

My apologies for quoting your comment while making a generalized statement about Nebraskans.  In my defense, you had quoted my comment about the Huskers having more players in the NBA than East Omaha U and then responded to it making zero mention of Iowa🤔

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io

On 7/23/2022 at 4:41 PM, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

I realize a lot of Husker fans pine for any modicum of success, but on a national level no one cares about them.

You do realize we're the laughing stock of college basketball nationally, right? That doesn't really mean much to say no one cares about them in comparison to us. 

On 7/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

I'm definitely not sure what is going on in your head.  Iowa hasn't been a bastion of NCAA Tournament success either.  Alford at best had an NIT/First Round contender, Lickliter was a dumpster fire, and McCaffery hasn't ever advanced past the Second Round.  My point was that most fanbases don't consider this to be a high level of success.

My apologies for quoting your comment while making a generalized statement about Nebraskans.  In my defense, you had quoted my comment about the Huskers having more players in the NBA than East Omaha U and then responded to it making zero mention of Iowa🤔

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io

I mean, you did start this comparison of players on NBA rosters with Nebraska vs Creighton and Iowa, then I responded referencing “they” meaning both schools. Don’t know where that threw you for a loop, but I hope you can’t get out of it soon and rejoin us in the real world.

8 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

You do realize we're the laughing stock of college basketball nationally, right? That doesn't really mean much to say no one cares about them in comparison to us. 

My life experiences have taught me that 90% of Americans could not locate Nebraska on a map if their lives depended on it.  I work with highly educated folks on both coasts who could not possibly place a name to most Midwestern states.  The site I work at has existed in Nebraska for 70 years and many of my colleagues have worked with us for over a decade, yet they have no desire to learn anything about us.

You cannot be the laughingstock of college basketball when people don't even know or care who you are.

At the national level, most fans have no idea about our NCAA tournament failures.  Even most B1G fans that I've encountered aren't aware of it.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Not sure that's the argument a Nebrasketball fan wants to put forward.

The New Yorker's cover art "View of the World from 9th Avenue" is as accurate today as it was in 1976:

view-from-9th-ave.jpg

I just think we would benefit from dropping the "victim mentality" schtick, accept our reality, focus on what's working, and improve what's not.

It seems like our talent evaluation and player development is on par or better than our peers.  Maybe we have issues with pre-game preparation, in-game/situational coaching, training/recovery, sports psychology, etc. that need to be resolved so that we can make the next step forward.

To me this is such a Nebraskan/Midwestern conversation that I myself has been in many times 😁

"This is why we suck."

"No, this is why we suck."

"Noooo, THIS is why we suck."

"Well, this why THEY think we suck."

"That is definitely a reason they think we suck."

"Pffft. They just don't get it."

"Yup. Losers 😂"

Nebraska is not a laughing stock anywhere (beyond antagonists on local sports message boards).

Huskers are an excellent brand that draws and sells well everywhere.

Nebraska is usually associated positively (whether people can locate us on a map or not) with the likes of Warren Buffet.

And many people, from elsewhere, describe positive visits to our state.