Huskers in the Pros Thread

hhcmatt

40 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I found this a bit odd.  Perhaps there is a great explanation out there.  Last week Oklahoma City picked up his option.  This week they waived him (which is good for Isaiah as he should secure a better contract with a team of his choice). 

Does Oklahoma City somehow profit by making this move rather than not picking up his option?   Just wondering...

From what i can gather picking up his option allowed OKC extra time to figure out what they wanted to do. The extra year was non-guarenteed if was waived by yesterday. I would think he will end up somewhere where his minutes get cut but he actually gets to play for a winning team

12 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I found this a bit odd.  Perhaps there is a great explanation out there.  Last week Oklahoma City picked up his option.  This week they waived him (which is good for Isaiah as he should secure a better contract with a team of his choice). 

Does Oklahoma City somehow profit by making this move rather than not picking up his option?   Just wondering...

Roby's $1.9MM team option for 2022-2023 would've become fully guaranteed on July 3rd, so the team picking up the option on July 29th didn't really seem out of the ordinary.  But then waiving him before July 3rd is some really petty crap...hardly any money in the grand scheme of things.

In addition to robbing Roby of cash, it really screwed him by tying him up with OKC during the first few days of free agency when all the big money moves are happening.

So yeah, f*** Sam Presti

13 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Just watched some Chet Holmgren highlights and thought I saw a familiar face out there.

JPJ was playing for the Jazz 👀

https://www.espn.com/nba-summer-league/boxscore?gameId=401445223&league=nba-summer-utah

image.png

For anyone that's interested...JPJ Watch @ 8PM tonight (6-July) on ESPN2

Not sure how much run he'll get given that he played so many minutes in the first game

image.png

19 hours ago, 49r said:

Hope he sticks with the Spurs

I really hope that he does not.  I'm sure Zay got tired of being one of the few bright spots on a dumpster fire squad last year.  He's walking into the same situation.

The Spurs are in terrible shape and are in full-on tank mode for the next few seasons.   And a lot of teams are going to be taking the L-train next season, praying they hit the Victor Wembanyama lottery.

What the Spurs received for Dejounte Murray was not impressive.  Heavily-protected first round pick from Charlotte and (2) unprotected first round picks from Atlanta.  But by the time they get control of Atlanta's picks, Atlanta should be a solid squad in the East.

9 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

For anyone that's interested...JPJ Watch @ 8PM tonight (6-July) on ESPN2

Not sure how much run he'll get given that he played so many minutes in the first game

image.png

Palmer has gotten starter’s minutes thus far. Performance has been…mixed. Shooting with more touch from deep than I remember him having in a Husker uniform, but he has turned the ball over a few times and showed some loose handles on other possessions. 

18 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Palmer has gotten starter’s minutes thus far. Performance has been…mixed. Shooting with more touch from deep than I remember him having in a Husker uniform, but he has turned the ball over a few times and showed some loose handles on other possessions. 

Highlights up on YouTube:

1:32 - First JPJ sighting (near corner)

1:53 - JPJ initiates offense at far elbow, gets fouled (no call), then notices terrible defensive rotation and dumps ball off to teammate for 3FG

2:12 - JPJ setup in near corner, ball rotates to JPJ for open 3FG

2:44 - JPJ drives into paint and gets stuck, kicks out to teammate who drives in for tough layup

3:06 - JPJ comes off screen, drives under the basket, and kicks out to open teammate for 3FG

5:55 - JPJ seals off his man as he works into the paint, attempts a floater, ball tips back out to the Jazz who dish back to JPJ for a layup and foul

6:21 - JPJ tries to shift over to provide some help defense in the post, attempts to strip and I think gets called for the foul.  Understandably pissed.

6:31 - Ball gets poked-out, JPJ chases down and collects loose ball before it is stolen, then quickly turns and drills 3FG.  Holds the follow-through and stares at his bench afterward.

7:39 - JPJ trails play and spots up at elbow for 3FG, misses short but grabs own rebound off a tip and works inside for layup

6 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Didnt realize until today that Banton averaged 26 ppg for Toronto's g-league team. Closer to 30 in the playoffs

And if you look at the transaction history, most the time he was getting assigned to the G League the day of their game and then getting recalled back to the NBA the very next day.  Gotta be difficult -- especially for a guard -- to build chemistry with the team when doing that.

Bryce v. Bennedict thumbnail!

Our guy looking a lot better than the Duke guy at this point🙃  Was good to see Bryce hit some early 3FGs because the team was coooold.

Footnote:  Thursday during practice, the Hornets watched one of their young players (Scottie Lewis) go down with a very gruesome leg injury that required surgery today.  They discussed a couple times during the broadcast how the Hornets  were likely looking a little timid because of it.

4 hours ago, fred1212 said:

He traveled. 

Is there so much traveling allowed these days because of so many refs that didn't actually play the game?  I see so much uncalled traveling and I don't even have to count the steps.  It just looks awkward and unnatural.

He catches with his left foot down, takes 2 steps, no travel.

4 hours ago, fred1212 said:

He traveled. 

Is there so much traveling allowed these days because of so many refs that didn't actually play the game?  I see so much uncalled traveling and I don't even have to count the steps.  It just looks awkward and unnatural.

He catches the ball off the screen.  From the triple-threat position, his left foot is established as his pivot foot:

image.png