Huskers in the Pros Thread

hhcmatt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Played with many teams, I even seem to remember he had a cup of coffee with the Timberwolves. 

Most definitely, he was an interesting guy and became a fan favorite at every stop because of his hard play and eccentricities.  Would love to read something recent on him and hear how both him and his pets are doing.  He used to have several snakes, alligators, and other exotic animals.  He was definitely a South Carolina country boy, I'm sure he enjoying the slower pace of his retirement.

I'm a long-time Clippers fan (thanks, Piatkowski 😐) and I hate to admit it, but one of my favorite Nebraska-Clippers anecdotes is actually a Nebraska-Lakers anecdote.  I was watching a Clippers-Lakers game a couple season's ago after Lue took over as HC.  Stu Lantz was doing color commentary and told a story about Lue...shortly after he was drafted/traded to the Lakers, Lantz had a chance to meet him and remarked that he was the second Nebraska player in the history of the Lakers and that Lantz was the first.  From that moment on, they would start referring to each other as, "Number One" and "Number Two" when they would encounter each other at the Lakers facilities.  Flashing forward many years to Lue coaching the Clippers, Lantz ran into Lue before the game and said something along the lines of, "Congratulations, Number Two!" and Lue stopped to chat and thank Number One.

I admire the brotherhood shared by former players, but also really cool to see that shared between two guys with a 30-year age difference because of their experiences as Huskers.

14 hours ago, MichHusker said:

Roby gets waived today and it seems everybody on Twitter wants their team to go after him. Has a chance to be in the leaegue for a long time

I found this a bit odd.  Perhaps there is a great explanation out there.  Last week Oklahoma City picked up his option.  This week they waived him (which is good for Isaiah as he should secure a better contract with a team of his choice). 

Does Oklahoma City somehow profit by making this move rather than not picking up his option?   Just wondering...