2020 PG Ty Berry -> Northwestern

Yeah.  

These early bloomers are often just that.  Sometimes, I think it's a huge disservice to project collegiate success at such an early age.  How many of these early-offer types end up never panning out.  My unscientific impression is this:  lots of them don't pan out.  And the expectations, starting at such an early age, become high and unrealistic.  Early offers like this can become an albatross--and a terrible disservice to the youngster--in later years. 

• 2 months later...

We all know what you mean, HB. By the way, I am very familiar with Newton ,a very nice little town in central Kansas. My grand-uncle , who played pro football for the NY Giants in the 30s lived there for most of his life working for the Santa Fe railroad. He remains my only family member to have his own Wikipedia page.

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

We all know what you mean, HB. By the way, I am very familiar with Newton ,a very nice little town in central Kansas. My grand-uncle , who played pro football for the NY Giants in the 30s lived there for most of his life working for the Santa Fe railroad. He remains my only family member to have his own Wikipedia page.

I believe the current executive director of Major League Baseball, Tony Clark, is from Newton KS.  Maybe it was Newton IA, or maybe he knew Isaac Newton or likes fig newtons; whatever, he has something to do with a Newton.

Edited by huskercwg

https://kansas.247sports.com/Article/Ty-Berry-highlights-from-the-Jayhawk-Invitational-52680398

SON OF A COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER ALERT

Berry's father, Tony, played football for KU in the 80's. He also play JV basketball at Kansas back then and was coached by current Kentucky head Coach John Calipari. While at Kansas Tony also had a kind of famous roommate. His name is Danny Manning.

If you believe in genetics as part of a predictor for success the offer for a 2020 kid like this isn't premature

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've had my eye on this kid.  Like him a lot.  Probably the very big boys will get involved before long.  I think this kid will be very good.  And he kinda looks like another Tai we had.

And he is NOT on the small side.  Not for a PG in the class of 2020.

More than likely we lose out on him to Kansas or Kentucky than the Jays or the Shockers

• 9 months later...
On 10/15/2017 at 7:18 AM, jimmykc said:

Good point, Norm. Maybe we should consider scheduling a home and home series with KU--in football.

Both Moos & Frost have made mention that Nebraska's marquee non-conference game should be against former Big 8 or Big 12 foes like ISU & KSU. [And, KU & MIzzou are also among the group of "close trips for fans."]

• 1 month later...