Non Conference record

proudparent

As for having a much better record I know some people will say "I will have to see it to believe it".  My optimism stems from the following:  More depth and experience, 2nd year under a new coaching staff, one more year in the training room for all returning players & two highly rated recruits.  The biggest will be a big uptick in team chemistry which ties everything together.

Back when Dollar Bill Byrne let Paul Sanderford go back in 2002, word being spread around that the new coach would be one with a proven track record or a well-qualified assistant. Word going around in different circles was that Nebraska was looking at Southwest Missouri St’s Cheryl Burnett, Tennessee assistant now head coach Holly Warlock who at one time was an assistant here at Nebraska, and Theresa Becker who had been the head coach at Iowa St and a former NU assistant under Angela Beck.

Imagine my surprise when he announced the new coach as Connie Yori. I’ll be honest and say I absolutely hated that hire and didn’t expect much. She started her career at NU with an 8-20 record. If I remember right there were like 200 season ticket holders at the time and she always referred to us as her core group of fans from the get go which filled me with a sense of pride as she progressed the program to where she took it.  Needless to say, I eventually forgave “Dollar Bill” for the hire.

I was skeptical as to how her second year here would pan out just like fans are right now with Coach Williams. Coach Yori’s second year produced an 18-12 record and a berth in the WNIT tournament, she eventually turned that into the undefeated regular season in 2010 in which a lot of today’s fans jumped on the band wagon.  Which was fine by me on both accounts.

There honesty isn’t a week that goes by now that someone doesn’t ask me how this new coach will do in her second season. And comparing her to what Coach Yori did I don’t think is fair. I usually tell them we need to give her time.

Now, I’m not saying Coach Williams needs to equal what Coach Yori did or do better and I’m not ready and probably won’t be for a while to make a win-loss prediction. But as I look at the somewhat easy non-conference schedule and what I think will be a down year in the B1G I at least see her going 500 or better her second year. That all depends on one thing though, we must keep Rachel Blackburn healthy all season. She is the backbone and leader of this team and it does no good with her riding bench.  She in my belief is the key to making this upcoming season a success.

I live a couple hours away from Lincoln & don't have any program contacts, so the only way I get info on the NU WBB program is primarily through this website.  As noted in some of my past posts we just don't get the press coverage we should so I echo those who have thanked the posters that have given the rest of us accurate and timely posts here like Row6Seat10.

Anyone else?!.........just kidding!  :P

Thanks for the kind remarks above guys they're appreciated. I actually think we have one of the top collegiate wbb message boards out there. There are some teams with none even in the B1G. I love to read what HB or Hud or Norm Petersen or anyone else who writes here, whether you agree or disagree, whether they have 2 posts or 15,000 posts to this forum, in my opinion everyone who contributes to our corner of the  cyber-world make this place great.

Edited by Row6Seat10
spelling