Ed Chang -> SDSU -> CC -> Mizzou -> Jax St.->Idaho St

2 hours ago, jason2486 said:

I still lean that he's a must get, if he wants to be here and we want him here that is. And, obviously, if grades and attitude are in order.

Why do you think he is a "must get"?  It would be nice to have him but not sure I'd label him as a must have.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Please remind me again why we would want this young man instead of a post or power forward stud?

We wouldn't.  I think sometimes people get caught up in the "we don't get enough local kids" mindset that they forget that you just need "dudes" to play basketball.  We have those "dudes" right now.  None of them are really from Nebraska.  That's ok.  We can make it to where we want to be without Nebraska kids.

I do want to point out that this is no knock on Nebraska kids either.  If one is good enough, and there is a need, go grab him!

My feelings on him being a must get are along the parameters that we take chances so many times on kids outside of the state. Let's give this kid a chance if he wants to be here. You can't teach his length. I would hate to see a Khyri Thomas-type situation where a local kid becomes NBA material and we let him get away. I agree that we can be a successful winning program without kids from this state. However, we have yet to sustain that success. So we have no evidence that leads us to say that we are going to get sustained success without some local talent. And having local talent is just another thing for our fan base to rally around. I don't like to compare our football program with the basketball program, but when you look at how much pride there is in the walk-on program, I think we need to have some of that same pride with local talent on our basketball team. There is probably no way we are ever a successful team with a bunch of home-grown basketball players. However, we should always be trying to get the top one or two prospects in our state on a consistent basis.

Edited by jason2486

48 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

My feelings on him being a must get are along the parameters that we take chances so many times on kids outside of the state. Let's give this kid a chance if he wants to be here. You can't teach his length. I would hate to see a Khyri Thomas-type situation where a local kid becomes NBA material and we let him get away. I agree that we can be a successful winning program without kids from this state. However, we have yet to sustain that success. So we have no evidence that leads us to say that we are going to get sustained success without some local talent. And having local talent is just another thing for our fan base to rally around. I don't like to compare our football program with the basketball program, but when you look at how much pride there is in the walk-on program, I think we need to have some of that same pride with local talent on our basketball team. There is probably no way we are ever a successful team with a bunch of home-grown basketball players. However, we should always be trying to get the top one or two prospects in our state on a consistent basis.

Basketball is a little more fickle.  You are only allowed so many scholarships, so you can't take a LOT of chances.  I would say that we already took a chance for the next 4 years on Brady.  Do we have the ability to take TWO chances on in-state kids?  Similar, it is going to be tough to get a strong walk on program for the basketball team vs football.  I get what you are saying, but it is a little tougher to take a leap on in-state kids in basketball than in football.  In football, you only lose 1.2% of your scholarship availability if you lose out on a kid for 4 years, and that number only jumps to 2.5% if you take a chance on two.  In basketball, that number jumps to near 8% if you take a chance on one player, and over 15% if you take a chance on two.  This is with a perfectly healthy roster as well.

I agree if an instate guy is a fringe prospect we should offer him over other fringe prospects based on them being more likely to stay and develop rather than transfer. But Chang is an exception to that in my mind since he was already the biggest thing in Nebraska high school basketball and decided to transfer out and resulted in sitting out his senior year( very dumb decision looking back on it )

15 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Does he actually hold a Nebrasketball offer?

Unless he is counting his original offer, (which was for the class of 2018 I guess), then I don't think he does. Will be pretty surprised if he isn't at SDSU. The Mountain West is about to be full of Nebraska kids and Nebraska connections next season. 

Chang could absolutely help us-- gotta remember last time we all saw him he was the best player in the state as a Jr playing on one leg in the state tournament. 24 months from that date is when he'd start playing for the huskers. I envision him being really really good (Much more upside than say Aguek or even Wingett) as a 21-22 year old

What about how this guy has handled his business makes anyone think they're looking at the next Khyri Thomas? There is a reason that Creighton, now with 2 scholarships,  is talking to Sam Griesel and not Chang. In my opinion, Wingett was the in-state 6'7" guy we should have added if adding local 6'7" wings was a part of our plan this year. Karrington Davis is our pick for that roster spot. Should we have taken WIngett or Chang instead? Time will tell.

26 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

What about how this guy has handled his business makes anyone think they're looking at the next Khyri Thomas? There is a reason that Creighton, now with 2 scholarships,  is talking to Sam Griesel and not Chang. In my opinion, Wingett was the in-state 6'7" guy we should have added if adding local 6'7" wings was a part of our plan this year. Karrington Davis is our pick for that roster spot. Should we have taken WIngett or Chang instead? Time will tell.

Griesel is athletic and a smart kid with a high BB IQ - the kind of guy Wisconsin has historically molded into a quality contributor. Not saying that Griesel will end up that way, but I have a sense whoever lands him will, a few years down the road, be happy they did. 

7 hours ago, Section_316 said:

Chang could absolutely help us-- gotta remember last time we all saw him he was the best player in the state as a Jr playing on one leg in the state tournament. 24 months from that date is when he'd start playing for the huskers. I envision him being really really good (Much more upside than say Aguek or even Wingett) as a 21-22 year old

He was not the best player in the state. He played on one leg in the final after getting hurt in the semi. He was a 6'8" kid playing high school basketball in Nebraska yet settling for taking 6 3s  (many of them just awful shots) a game while shooting 31% (he was 94-336, or 28%, for is career at Papio). He was rated as the top player in the 2018 class because of his upside and offers, but upside only gets you so far. I'll take Shereef Mitchell and his trajectory over Ed without a second thought. Ed's been the same player the whole time I've known him and doesn't seem very interested in changing the way he plays. That's a red flag for whoever ends up taking him.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, Swan88 said:

Does he actually hold a Nebrasketball offer?

From my understanding, the answer is "no".  Robin even reported this the other day that he has NU listed in his top 3 but doesn't even hold an offer yet from NU at this point.

Sounds like Ed would be a quality walk-on candidate if he were willing to take that opportunity.  Maybe he could even earn his way into a scholarship.  Interesting to hear that he has us in his top 3 and doesn't hold an offer.  If he wants to be here that bad, walking on might not be a bad thing.  However, I really doubt that he will do that.

5 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

He now has a legit jersey he can put on the very important top 3 photo edit

Well, unless Misery has a few folks step up big time, without the Porter brothers they will struggle.  Not saying it won't happen but they lost a lot of talent from last year.