What kind of offense will we run?

HUD

We are in a dead period for news for the next couple of months so I'm throwing out the question to anyone interested.  We pretty much know who our players will now be so how will the coach use them. 

To start the discussion I think the days of having two posts/forwards in the game together are waning.  I see a low post filled with Rachel and Kate.  The other forward position will become a stretch 4 with players able to hit the 3 and also drive the lane.  Filling that could be Maddie, Grace or even Taylor.  The wing will be Nicea and possibly Taylor.  Maybe even a few minutes for Jasmine there.  The 1 and 2 positions will be shared by Bria, Janay and Hannah pretty well getting most of the playing time there.  Sure hope that Emily can go out with a bang and get some quality minutes especially if we are more of a running team which she and Maddie look to be more comfortable with.  Don't know about Darrien maybe attitude will determine her contribution.

A guess of course, but I don't see us to much different ...scheme wise....than last year....but we may be a lot better at what we're trying to do.... than last season.

More experienced at pretty much all positions except the post...but faster guards.    ..and the kicker....we're going to be young, with about a third of the squad inexperienced, with one year at best for a couple ..... at the college game. 

The following year should be much the same pattern.

Edited by redsteve

I pretty much expect the following players to be the starters:

1 - Bria

2 - Hannah

3 - Nicea

4 - Rachel

5 - Kate

With that lineup, we will play a lot like we did last year, but I believe with a little more discipline.  I suspect Kate to play lower than Jessica did, which I know was something Coach was trying to get Jess to do. 

I suspect Janay, Taylor, and Maddie to be the first off the bench.  Maddie was really starting to get it at the end of last season and was gaining some confidence.  She's a very good athlete overall.  I believe that Grace will play some 4 again this season, although she really sees herself as a 3.  I think we will see her get some opportunities there.  It just depends on how her development progresses over the summer.  I think she too showed some improvement toward the end of the season. DW will play the same role she did last year.  Jazz and EW will get some playing time.  I suspect, like last season, Coach will design some plays to get her some open looks at 3s.  

I also suspect there may be times when we play pretty our fastest and most athletic players and run it up and down the court.   So I'm thinking Bria, Janay, Hannah, Maddie or Taylor, and Nicea -- but that sort of thing I think would be limited to pretty specific situations.  I doubt we try that at UConn, for example.

I'm really, really looking forward to the season.  I think Coach has done a pretty good job of starting to turn things in a different direction.  We'll see how far she can take us.

12 hours ago, chuck.bentjen said:

1 - Bria

2 - Hannah

3 - Nicea

4 - Rachel

5 - Kate

With that lineup, we will play a lot like we did last year, but I believe with a little more discipline.  I suspect Kate to play lower than Jessica did, which I know was something Coach was trying to get Jess to do. 

I suspect Janay, Taylor, and Maddie to be the first off the bench.  Maddie was really starting to get it at the end of last season and was gaining some confidence.  She's a very good athlete overall.  I believe that Grace will play some 4 again this season, although she really sees herself as a 3.  I think we will see her get some opportunities there.  It just depends on how her development progresses over the summer.  I think she too showed some improvement toward the end of the season. DW will play the same role she did last year.  Jazz and EW will get some playing time.  I suspect, like last season, Coach will design some plays to get her some open looks at 3s.  

I also suspect there may be times when we play pretty our fastest and most athletic players and run it up and down the court.   So I'm thinking Bria, Janay, Hannah, Maddie or Taylor, and Nicea -- but that sort of thing I think would be limited to pretty specific situations.  I doubt we try that at UConn, for example.

I'm really, really looking forward to the season.  I think Coach has done a pretty good job of starting to turn things in a different direction.  We'll see how far she can take us.

Not trying to down play Taylor, but is she that athletic?

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Not trying to down play Taylor, but is she that athletic?

I haven't seen her play in person but to be ranked a 5 star #38 player in the nation would mean to me that she is more then a 6' 1"deadly 3 pt scorer.  She must have faced a lot of double and triple team defense's.  For her to still maintain her scoring stats thru that I believe she must be athletic.  My only worry would be how will her wrists hold up in a 30 game schedule.

19 hours ago, HUD said:

I haven't seen her play in person but to be ranked a 5 star #38 player in the nation would mean to me that she is more then a 6' 1"deadly 3 pt scorer.  She must have faced a lot of double and triple team defense's.  For her to still maintain her scoring stats thru that I believe she must be athletic.  My only worry would be how will her wrists hold up in a 30 game schedule.

Pretty much right on HUD.....I just hope she's the shooter that we think she is. That being said, I suspect she won't be keyed on right away (by other defenses)  in the BIG, and used early as a sub to get her feet on the ground. It's the old get up to speed in the college game. Not many newbies can go toe to toe immediately...at this level.

Edited by redsteve

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 9:45 PM, chuck.bentjen said:

1 - Bria

2 - Hannah

3 - Nicea

4 - Rachel

5 - Kate

I think you are correct that the posts will be actually posting up, but I have my doubts that Kate will be starting.  Here's my reasoning and feel free to disagree.  Judging by the type of players being recruited, I think Coach Williams wants to run and pressure.  Running pressuring and posting up wears too much on the bigs, so I look for Rachel to start and platoon with Kate.  I look for the other starter to be a stretch 4, which says to me Grace or Maddie.

Someone else asked if Taylor was a good enough athlete.  Athleticism is good not great, but here's why she'll see the floor a lot.  Quick smooth release with outlandish accuracy well beyond the arc.  The release will be quicker than most close outs, so she will really stretch the opposing defences

With the addition of Kate we now have enough players for this fall.  Wouldn't it be great if everyone stayed healthy, worked hard and all given a chance to show what they can do.  Our schedule should afford us a little more opportunity to experiment a bit as well.  We will have a lot more flexibility going forward.  Can't wait to see if we can become a running and pressing team.  GBR

24 minutes ago, HUD said:

With the addition of Kate we now have enough players for this fall.  Wouldn't it be great if everyone stayed healthy, worked hard and all given a chance to show what they can do.  Our schedule should afford us a little more opportunity to experiment a bit as well.  We will have a lot more flexibility going forward.  Can't wait to see if we can become a running and pressing team.  GBR

After reading the article about Kate, I see us running about the same offense as last year.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/in-looking-for-a-program-the-second-time-top-/article_b53278de-5cdc-54c9-8eb4-4f4b92c74bf6.html

4 hours ago, HUD said:

Kind of think the key word for next years development is the freshly given flexibility......that is... flexibility we didn't have last year. We, out of necessity....just had little ability to substitute with any experienced players. We were so new, and short handed... it was tough to be competitive.  

The two new freshman I doubt will be bench warmers...we need rebounding and shooting immediately. The two new red shirt guards will really reinforce the position.

We'll still be young (and short on experience) but......Things are looking up ! :D

Edited by redsteve