Kate Cain

Row6Seat10

14 hours ago, rand909 said:

Well, how about that?  Just about the time so many of you had decided that Coach couldn't recruit a big - indeed, many said she wasn't trying to recruit a big - she signs a top 100 true post who can play immediately.  Maybe Coach does know what she is doing.

Yep.  If nothing else, it reminds us that coaches are working even if it appears that nothing is happening.  GBR!

16 hours ago, rand909 said:

Well, how about that?  Just about the time so many of you had decided that Coach couldn't recruit a big - indeed, many said she wasn't trying to recruit a big - she signs a top 100 true post who can play immediately.  Maybe Coach does know what she is doing.

I for one had no way to know what was going on behind the scenes recruit wise...but I (and others) did maintain there was a definite need for more bigs. 

And it was nice to see the staff listened to us!   ;) :D  

With the help of her AAU coach, John Reilly from Hudson Valley Elite, Cain got her name out in recruiting circles once again. Schools that were on her original list had already filled needs so Cain sought schools that still had scholarship spots available. She visited Nebraska, Dayton, Virginia and Minnesota, and also got calls from Indiana, UCLA, Oregon and others. Cain said she had the same “gut feeling” about Nebraska as she had for Delaware and made the confirmation phone call a week ago. She signed her final papers on Friday.

“She will fit in very nicely in the Big Ten,” said Nebraska coach Amy Williams. “There’s absolutely no reason she can’t come in and make an impact for our program.”

Williams likes Cain’s size, her good hands, her soft touch around the basket and ability to use either hand with her back to the basket.

“That low-post presence is something that will fit really nicely into our system and we’re very excited about that,” Williams said.

Cain reports to Nebraska on July 9 for summer prep and studies. She will major in some sort of business studies.

“I really am excited just to get everything started,” Cain said. “I am definitely a little nervous because everything changed so much within the past month ... so I’m definitely overwhelmed, but I am really excited to see what the future has in store for me.”

Pine Bush hoops star commits to Nebraska

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:44 AM, rand909 said:

Who said she wasn't trying to recruit a big?

I read this board a lot and I don't remember that.  I'd like to see the quote.  From anyone, let alone from "many of you," who said Coach wasn't trying,

And I don't think we should count any quotes from Kearney man.

I hope Burns will be healed, and just be able to play. It's obvious she loves the game. ...and ....she can work with Cain in learning some the Rachel's toughness and aggressiveness. That may be one of the important things to adapt to in the college game.

After all she'll be a freshman rookie, with ton's to learn.  Sounds like Cain has some good fundamentals....as well moves with the basketball, rebounds... and can shoot.

oh...and she's 6-5. That's height on the floor is a psychological boost to the team. Just hope she can learn fast and not be to overwhelmed. 

Good luck to her...sure glad she pulled the trigger for NU.  :D !!!  Welcome Kate !!

5 hours ago, redsteve said:

I hope Burns will be healed, and just be able to play. It's obvious she loves the game. ...and ....she can work with Cain in learning some the Rachel's toughness and aggressiveness. That may be one of the important things to adapt to in the college game.

After all she'll be a freshman rookie, with ton's to learn.  Sounds like Cain has some good fundamentals....as well moves with the basketball, rebounds... and can shoot.

oh...and she's 6-5. That's height on the floor is a psychological boost to the team. Just hope she can learn fast and not be to overwhelmed. 

Good luck to her...sure glad she pulled the trigger for NU.  :D !!!  Welcome Kate !!

If she is willing to play down where the coach wants her big to play, well.  Welcome Kate!

On 6/26/2017 at 0:06 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Who said she wasn't trying to recruit a big?

I read this board a lot and I don't remember that.  I'd like to see the quote.  From anyone, let alone from "many of you," who said Coach wasn't trying,

And I don't think we should count any quotes from Kearney man.

Yeah, Most of us were saying that to be successful that coach would need a big. I don't remember anyone saying that she wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 10:31 AM, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

Anyone see Nebraska Girls facebook page. There is a status that says who's next?? Are we getting another recruit??

No we're not getting another recruit just yet anyway. The coaches are starting to evaluate the 2019 class. The AAU circuit began last week and the coaches are scattered all across the nation watching for that next Husker. Saying "who's next" is their way of putting the 2019 class on alert that they'll be on the lookout nationwide for that next big commit.

Edited by Row6Seat10

7 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

With Kate committing to us. In the final ESPN Rankings we came in 20th for best 2017 recruiting class. Interesting

We will probably be higher next year with the class of 4 that we have coming in.  I guess coach Williams can recruit after all.  GBR

On 7/12/2017 at 1:53 PM, Row6Seat10 said:

No we're not getting another recruit just yet anyway. The coaches are starting to evaluate the 2019 class. The AAU circuit began last week and the coaches are scattered all across the nation watching for that next Husker. Saying "who's next" is their way of putting the 2019 class on alert that they'll be on the lookout nationwide for that next big commit.