Jess Shepard

Bugeaters1

• 1 month later...

Notre Dame thinking about applying for a hardship waiver for Shepard?

http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/notebook-ogunbowale-continues-to-set-the-gold-standard-for-notre/article_d71b471c-7951-11e7-8a05-73bf252335ee.html

Glimpses this summer by McGraw of her own team’s future were muddled a bit by uncertainty in the present.

Specifically when it comes to senior post player Brianna Turner.

The rehab on her surgically repaired left knee has gone smoothly with no setbacks, but the decision on whether the two-time All-American will play at all in the coming season won’t likely be made until September

If Turner is not available this season, repeating and refining the small-ball approach is one option.

Another might be plugging the 6-foot-4, Jessica Shepard into the lineup. Maybe.

McGraw said the Irish are exploring whether applying for a hardship waiver for immediate eligibility for Shepard makes sense. As it stands, the former national Freshman of the Year and All-Big Ten selection as a sophomore at Nebraska must sit out the coming season to satisfy NCAA transfer rules.

“I think we have to plan on not having Jessica this season,” McGraw said, “but we’re going to put the paperwork together and see what happens.”

To be blunt, here's hoping the NCAA doesn't grant her the waiver should Notre Dame apply for it, for the crap she pulled on her teammates the past two years!!!

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't imagine UCONN needing to.  My suspicions would be towards usual suspects, such as Mississippi State, South Carolina, Louisville, or maybe even Baylor.  By "usual suspects",  I mean schools that have been investigated before, not necessarily for WBB (but are successful in WBB).  

Edited by 12dozen
typo

No..... UConn doesn't need to cheat. 

Some of the other schools mentioned...it wouldn't surprise me to much. Some school comes out of nowhere, and in a couple of years has top 10 team.. ???

But there is some real women talent coming out of high school.....still not as many as the mens players, so the good ones may get special "invitations".

There's an interesting article in today's OWH about Cooks latest recruit commitment, (a HS sophomore I think, and has been on varisty since 7th grade) and talks about some of the other of his commits that are still in HS. He's getting them young. ...as has been the pattern for a while in women's vollyeball.

54 minutes ago, redsteve said:

a HS sophomore I think

I think she's a freshman as are the other two commits she was talking about. All three 2021 commits.   A big plus for Cook in recruiting top talent is his ability to coach them to become top international players and Olympians.  No present women's college volleyball coach can compare in this area.

• 1 month later...

Disgusting!    They may as well just get rid of the transfer rule.    She quit on her team last year since they weren't up to her "lofty" standards and then gets rewarded by not having to sit out the required year.     There was no injury involved, no coaching changes took place, she just quit.    Go Lady Huskers!!!        

Edited by milawatts12

While the special treatment she is getting is unjustified to say the least, it is a stupid rule for transfers to have to sit out.  The rule was originally to discourage transferring, but now with the cost of Grad School that 5th year helps the players get their masters degree while still under scholarship......so it is no longer a real deterrent anyway. If coaches can jump ship without sitting out, players should be able to also. 

28 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

While the special treatment she is getting is unjustified to say the least, it is a stupid rule for transfers to have to sit out.  The rule was originally to discourage transferring, but now with the cost of Grad School that 5th year helps the players get their masters degree while still under scholarship......so it is no longer a real deterrent anyway. If coaches can jump ship without sitting out, players should be able to also. 

I'm split on this.  On one hand, I can kind of see what you are saying.  However, I feel like there is a transfer epidemic.  I don't feel like making them sit out a year is too much of a punishment.  There is already shady dealings going on right now in College athletics.  This would give coaches the ability to poach kids away from other Universities without penalty.  Could you imagine giving coaches the ability to say "Hey, great year!  Why don't you transfer down to XXX University and play for us?"  I just feel like there is already an epidemic and we shouldn't add to the situation.

Allowing a free transfer market would add so much uncertainty to College basketball.  If this is something we moved towards, I feel like there would have to be rules and limits placed on the transfer.  For example, you get a free 1st time transfer.  Any additional transfer would result in losing a year of eligibility even if you have a red-shirt year.  You are not allowed to transfer within the same conference.  That type of thing.