Offseason Potpourri

Thanks. I try. Sometimes they smell great, and sometimes they're rank. 

Not that it matters, but didn't Brandon Ubel basically play center in Miles' first year?! Ubel made some threes in his Husker career (less than 30 total, IIRC)...wish Brandon had redshirted, he'd have been a great addition to Miles' 2nd year. Drat, that 'streak' continues while the prolific basketeers from Evanston broke theirs.

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Thanks. I try. Sometimes they smell great, and sometimes they're rank. 

Not that it matters, but didn't Brandon Ubel basically play center in Miles' first year?! Ubel made some threes in his Husker career (less than 30 total, IIRC)...wish Brandon had redshirted, he'd have been a great addition to Miles' 2nd year. Drat, that 'streak' continues while the prolific basketeers from Evanston broke theirs.

He is listed as a forward.

The five guys I named above are the only players listed as centers in Miles' tenure (according to Huskers.com).

Edited by atskooc

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

The unicorn in Miles' offense at Nebraska is clearly the back-to-the-basket center.

And Jordy is very much that unicorn (which is why he won't shoot very many [if any] threes in his career).

If he does hoist one, he'll be the first one to do so in six years.

11 hours ago, atskooc said:

So, your logic says that it's not a waste of time for Jordy to practice shooting threes because Pitchford and Jacobson (both listed as forwards, unlike Jordy, who is a center) shot threes.

And there's the ol' straw man argument.  Wondered when he'd surface.

No, I don't think it's a waste of time for Jordy to shoot threes.  He's obviously not doing it during any scrimmaging or group coach time.  If he wants to go to the gym and shoot some three balls, I'm all for it.  The better he gets shooting threes, the better he'll be shooting 10-15 footers.

And if he can develop that 3-point shot to where it's a usable weapon, there will be PLENTY of opportunities for him to use it.  One of Jordy's jobs in Miles' offense is to come out and set high ball screens.  From there, he can either roll to the basket or pop.  Like Jacobson used to try to do.  And you can try to differentiate between Jacobson's role as a "forward" and Jordy's role as a "center" but in reality they'd pretty much be doing the same thing.

Edited to state: I should have said "I don't think it's a waste of time for Jordy to PRACTICE shooting threes." 

Edited by Norm Peterson
for clarity

30 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

And there's the ol' straw man argument.  Wondered when he'd surface.

No, I don't think it's a waste of time for Jordy to shoot threes.  He's obviously not doing it during any scrimmaging or group coach time.  If he wants to go to the gym and shoot some three balls, I'm all for it.  The better he gets shooting threes, the better he'll be shooting 10-15 footers.

And if he can develop that 3-point shot to where it's a usable weapon, there will be PLENTY of opportunities for him to use it.  One of Jordy's jobs in Miles' offense is to come out and set high ball screens.  From there, he can either roll to the basket or pop.  Like Jacobson used to try to do.  And you can try to differentiate between Jacobson's role as a "forward" and Jordy's role as a "center" but in reality they'd pretty much be doing the same thing.

Apparently I misunderstood your mentioning of Jacobson and Pitchford having the opportunity to shoot threes as meaning they shot threes. Silly me. ;) 

If if nothing else, Norm, at least we helped get this thread back talking about basketball. Enough with the soccer chatter. 

But a team that runs a similar offense as Nebraska's had a center named Frank Kaminsky who shot 37% from three point land (103/279).  If Jordy could do that, and then be able to drop down, back to the basket, wouldn't that be grand?

Edited by huskercwg

37 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

But a team that runs a similar offense as Nebraska's had a center named Frank Kaminsky who shot 37% from three point land (103/279).  If Jordy could do that, and then be able to drop down, back to the basket, wouldn't that be grand?

A tweet about Wisconsin's Ethan Happ, a career FT shooting 57.3% center who hasn't taken a shot outside of the paint in his entire career as a Badger

9 hours ago, atskooc said:

Surge and Kye didn't play

Moses took 30 shots in his Nebraska career and struggled to shoot from 3 feet away

Andre had enough trouble getting up and down the court....we weren't going to ask him to pop up from 3.

I don't think Jordy will start hoisting up 50 3s a year or something like that.  

I do think it's realistic to expect about 10 from him and to surpass the during his career the 38 total that MJ put up.

9 hours ago, atskooc said:

Apparently I misunderstood your mentioning of Jacobson and Pitchford having the opportunity to shoot threes as meaning they shot threes. Silly me. ;) 

If if nothing else, Norm, at least we helped get this thread back talking about basketball. Enough with the soccer chatter.

Basketball?  I don't know, man.  Maybe that's what you've been talking about.  I've been rehashing Philosophy 110, Elements of Logic.  -_-

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Andre had enough trouble getting up and down the court....we weren't going to ask him to pop up from 3.

Although, from Andre's perspective, he probably would have liked to have gotten a green light to shoot threes because it would have reduced by about 25% the distance he had to run to get back on D.  That shaves off about 42 feet every round trip; that adds up.

A tweet about Wisconsin's Ethan Happ, a career FT shooting 57.3% center who hasn't taken a shot outside of the paint in his entire career as a Badger

"draining 3's"? Video or it didn't happen. I've seen this kid shoot free throws...

If Wisconsin makes the NCAA Tournament this year, then Greg Gard is the second coming of Mike Krzyewski.  If they'll ever have a down year, this is it.

20 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If Wisconsin makes the NCAA Tournament this year, then Greg Gard is the second coming of Mike Krzyewski.  If they'll ever have a down year, this is it.

There are three things in this life that are guaranteed.  Death, taxes and Wisconsin finishing in the top 4 of the B1G.

You see that last dunk by Duby?  He was still going up when he threw that thing down.  That's some ups.  For those wondering how good touching 140 inches is, it means he could dunk on an 11 ft rim with a two-foot standing takeoff.  OK?

See that first shot by Glynn?  Textbook.  Absolute perfect balance going up off the dribble.  Guys can spend a career trying to develop that and never have it; Glynn comes by it naturally.

Isaiah?  They didn't even show his best highlights.  Maybe the video coordinator was too busy with his new DOBO responsibilities to cut tape from the Indiana game.  ;)

Evan Taylor can go left or right (look at the film).  Plays really solid D.  If he can get his shot to drop more consistently, there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the discussion to start.  I'm totally serious. 

We have two freshmen who can bust a zone.  Whoever was worried about Nana having a slow release should watch that film above.

I love Jordy, and he's shown he can drive to his left.  Ideally, he needs to be able to spin counter clockwise off that move and go to his right hand.  That's not a tough move to learn.  Nothing like Glynn shooting off the dribble.  And Jordy should be able to get the footwork down just by repetition and practice.

I'm geeked.  That's all.