State of the Program

Fastbreaker

So in today's Lincoln paper there is a article about the women's basketball program in which our esteemed AD states that the program is in fine shape. So I went and checked the roster on huskers.com We have a forward who has not played in almost a year and a half, another forward who seems to be lazy and really does care whether she plays or not and a forward-guard who was a guard until arriving on campus. The other eight on the team are guards. We are not winning a lot with that roster. Mr Eichorst you have ruined the once proud program and I don't see anything from the current staff that tells me they know how to repair it. With our post needs I was hoping to see something on the recruiting front by now. Tim Miles had holes to fill and has signed two in the last week. But crickets chirping on the ladies side.

10 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

So in today's Lincoln paper there is a article about the women's basketball program in which our esteemed AD states that the program is in fine shape. So I went and checked the roster on huskers.com We have a forward who has not played in almost a year and a half, another forward who seems to be lazy and really does care whether she plays or not and a forward-guard who was a guard until arriving on campus. The other eight on the team are guards. We are not winning a lot with that roster. Mr Eichorst you have ruined the once proud program and I don't see anything from the current staff that tells me they know how to repair it. With our post needs I was hoping to see something on the recruiting front by now. Tim Miles had holes to fill and has signed two in the last week. But crickets chirping on the ladies side.

If we are in the same boat in a year from now I might start having doubts about Williams.  However, if will take her a couple years to fix what Eichorst damaged badly.

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

If we are in the same boat in a year from now I might start having doubts about Williams.  However, if will take her a couple years to fix what Eichorst damaged badly.

That's pretty much it ...for now anyway. Except don't think this program can be fixed in a couple of years. It was trashed too badly....in many ways.

Coach Williams got what she got when taking over the program...after Eichorst got done doing the AD thing. It got so dragged down, another top player has left now.

If Coach W. can get this program turned around....I always give a new coach 4 years to get her/his own players in place....then that's when I'll be ready to say yea or nay.

No thanks to Eichorst of course.

But....even I as a low life forum poster, can see we're desperitly in need of bigs...preferably a rebounder...if we don't bring in now, at least one, or a couple of transfers..... from where ever...that will show me what we're doing, and where we're going.

Edited by redsteve

Have been following the state of the program. However, I'm not following how Eichorst is the cause? Apologies in advance if I'm asking for some sort of inside info. 

To be fair, I'm kind of interested in why Eichorst catches so much shade overall. Obviously I realize he's the AD and there hasn't been much to cheer about on the basketball side for either squad, It seems to me he's been supportive of coaches and made a great hire on the football side. He was evidently essential in pushing through those recruiting changes which benefit Nebraska greatly in recruiting as well. Would take time to link that stuff but just a quick lunch post here. Mainly was reading about the changes that allow schools to pay the way for parents on official visits, and what a game changer that could be going forward. 

Well I'll go on record and probably upset many of you following this forum.  Due to the fact that I wasn't privy to all the information on coach Yori's firing I am still standing by our athletic director.  Even though I was a big coach Yori fan for many years I believe he must of had justification for doing so.  I do believe coach Williams inherited a mess and will need time to clean it up.  All i'm looking at is reasonable progress each year.

51 minutes ago, hoop_head said:

Have been following the state of the program. However, I'm not following how Eichorst is the cause? Apologies in advance if I'm asking for some sort of inside info. 

To be fair, I'm kind of interested in why Eichorst catches so much shade overall. Obviously I realize he's the AD and there hasn't been much to cheer about on the basketball side for either squad, It seems to me he's been supportive of coaches and made a great hire on the football side. He was evidently essential in pushing through those recruiting changes which benefit Nebraska greatly in recruiting as well. Would take time to link that stuff but just a quick lunch post here. Mainly was reading about the changes that allow schools to pay the way for parents on official visits, and what a game changer that could be going forward. 

That whole thing has been hash over endlessly.  There were already some real issues going on in several places when the AD got involved. Some not of Eichorst doing.

But...what occurred and how it occurred....after.... has left many unsettled/baffled in what all happened. Again all up for debate. But I've heard debating enough to last a life time.

But the program....crumbled so to speak. So here we are now....most of us hopeful we will survive and Coach Williams will get us over the hump.

The state of the program is very much in flux.....where will we go? We fans are along for the ride.

4 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

well, i read it twice and couldn't find where Shawn Eichorst is quoted as saying the program is in "fine shape". 

4 hours ago, redsteve said:

That whole thing has been hash over endlessly.  There were already some real issues going on in several places when the AD got involved. Some not of Eichorst doing.

But...what occurred and how it occurred....after.... has left many unsettled/baffled in what all happened. Again all up for debate. But I've heard debating enough to last a life time.

But the program....crumbled so to speak. So here we are now....most of us hopeful we will survive and Coach Williams will get us over the hump.

The state of the program is very much in flux.....where will we go? We fans are along for the ride.

If that whole thing in question is Coach Yori's resignation, and I'm a super big fan of what she built, I think blame is misplaced. 

As for the article in The Star, I see a vote of confidence in his hire, and a nod to her past success in building a roster that plays a fun brand of ball. 

I know that the Juco and transfers that we have offered seem to be choosing other places. Time will tell if it's because of the state of the program or some other reason. Coach was successful at USD but those kids were recruited in by the previous coach.  

We don't only need bigs, we really need bodies. So I'm not sure why we let RCJ get away.  She was a pretty solid off the bench kid. Im disappointed that Coach used her all year and then did not put her on scholarship. She played a lot of minutes this year. If she wasn't planning on putting her on scholarship then she shouldn't have used her so much. 

18 hours ago, Canadian4NU said:

I know that the Juco and transfers that we have offered seem to be choosing other places. Time will tell if it's because of the state of the program or some other reason. Coach was successful at USD but those kids were recruited in by the previous coach.  

We don't only need bigs, we really need bodies. So I'm not sure why we let RCJ get away.  She was a pretty solid off the bench kid. Im disappointed that Coach used her all year and then did not put her on scholarship. She played a lot of minutes this year. If she wasn't planning on putting her on scholarship then she shouldn't have used her so much. 

ummm, didn't coach williams try and talk RCJ into honoring her commitment to USD in the first place? i think RCJ and coach williams somewhat come from the same background as far as playing for the huskers, so, coach knew where RCJ was coming from. walk ons---trying to live out a dream. for amy, it worked out a little better. i would be willing to bet coach williams and RCJ had a "heart to heart" discussion and both agreed it would be best for RCJ to find that schollie at another institution. as the season wore on, i think it was a bit obvious that playing at this level was a struggle for RCJ. with the two transfers eligible this upcoming season, most likely, RCJ wasn't going to see the floor much------if at all. RCJ gave it a shot-----nothing to hang her head about. time to move on and i wish her nothing but the best. heck, i wish it would have worked out for her, but, like i stated, playing consistently in the Big Ten was going to be tough step.

3 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

ummm, didn't coach williams try and talk RCJ into honoring her commitment to USD in the first place? i think RCJ and coach williams somewhat come from the same background as far as playing for the huskers, so, coach knew where RCJ was coming from. walk ons---trying to live out a dream. for amy, it worked out a little better. i would be willing to bet coach williams and RCJ had a "heart to heart" discussion and both agreed it would be best for RCJ to find that schollie at another institution. as the season wore on, i think it was a bit obvious that playing at this level was a struggle for RCJ. with the two transfers eligible this upcoming season, most likely, RCJ wasn't going to see the floor much------if at all. RCJ gave it a shot-----nothing to hang her head about. time to move on and i wish her nothing but the best. heck, i wish it would have worked out for her, but, like i stated, playing consistently in the Big Ten was going to be tough step.

First off you can't compare Coach to RCJ. Coming out of High School RCJ was at a much higher level than Coach.  RCJ turned down a lot of Division 1 offers.  Though that is off topic and not my point.

How many walk ons do you know that a coach used as much as RCJ was used and not offered a scholarship the following year if not midway through the season.  Probably none because that's not how you treat players.  If Coach didn't think she was going to be good enough to make it as a Husker then she should not have used her, a walk on, all year and in some very crucial minutes of games. She was only 1 minute behind the 6th man for minutes played this year.  

"As the season wore on" .  Yes as the season wore on and the Huskers went into BIG10 play RCJs stats got even better.  Its not about whether or not she was going to make it or not because thats a matter of opinion. I am talking about the ETHICAL side of it.  It's disappointing that you would USE a kid like that and not give them a scholarship during the year that you are using them or offer them one the following year. 

Do you think that when Coach Yori offered Woody a scholarship that she thought she was going to be a big contributor someday?  I saw in the news that a player from Creighton, that will probably never play,  just got offered a scholarship this week.  There are 15 scholarships and they can't all be star players.

Look at it from a different angle.

When RCJ came to Nebraska she essentially had a contract.  She could get a chance to play but would not have a scholarship.  She chose to come.  At the end of the year they would re-evaluate.  Coach decided not to offer a scholarship. I'm not sure where you find an ethical dilemma.  Did Coach tell her she would get a scholarship her sophomore year?  I don't think so.  If you are saying it would be "nice" if it had worked out differently, I would agree.  But I also think it would be "nice" if liberals and conservatives could get along, if there was no world hunger and pay-per-view was free.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:45 PM, rand909 said:

When RCJ came to Nebraska she essentially had a contract.  She could get a chance to play but would not have a scholarship.  She chose to come.  At the end of the year they would re-evaluate.  Coach decided not to offer a scholarship. I'm not sure where you find an ethical dilemma.  Did Coach tell her she would get a scholarship her sophomore year?  I don't think so.  If you are saying it would be "nice" if it had worked out differently, I would agree.  But I also think it would be "nice" if liberals and conservatives could get along, if there was no world hunger and pay-per-view was free.

I was privy to information last year when RCJ decided to follow coach. Yes she "essentially had a contract" in which she was told if she worked her way into the rotation that she would receive a scholarship.  She definitely worked her way into the rotation this year and played in some very key minutes.

At this point it comes down to recruiting.  I am absolutely amazed that there seems to be no news on the spring 2017 signing period, when we desperately need bodies; particularly bigs.   Even if we didn't account for Shepherd leaving, we should have been targeting Jucos, graduate transfers, and high school players who didn't sign in November, for months.   Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it is already May.   If there were no stop gap measures being taken, it was simply a choice to tank another couple of seasons (the 2018 verbals so far aren't the type to immediately come in and get you a lot of wins; they will need experience).  So far we have signed zero 4/5 players who would be eligible in 2017-18, despite having a year to do so.  Very concerning.  

Edited by HB

6 minutes ago, HB said:

At this point it comes down to recruiting.  I am absolutely amazed that there seems to be no news on the spring 2017 signing period, when we desperately need bodies; particularly bigs.   Even if we didn't account for Shepherd leaving, we should have been targeting Jucos, graduate transfers, and high school players who didn't sign in November, for months.   Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it is already May.   If there were no stop gap measures being taken, it was simply a choice to tank another couple of seasons (the 2018 verbals so far aren't the type to immediately come in and get you a lot of wins; they will need experience).  So far we have signed zero 4/5 players who would be eligible in 20217-18, despite having a year to do so.  Very concerning.  

I am also very concerned by this lack of news.  Seems like I hear of JUCOS and transfers choosing other places but I hear very very little concerning the Huskers.  And with only one true freshman on the roster next season and a couple of people that have left, I have a very uneasy feeling.

59 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i was being a little sarcastic. it is a decision that coach williams came to. if RCJ and her family made the decision they no longer could trust coach-----well, that's too bad. coach williams has a job to do and evidently she feels this is the best decision and move forward.

I understood where you were coming from.  ;)