Hans Brase -> Iowa St

hhcmatt

Blase > Jacobson

Morrow > Akeke

Blase > Morrow

It's about a wash, but if I'm looking at what Miles wants to do offensively, Blase/Akeke is an overall better fit than Morrow/Jacobson.  Blase would be excellent for us if healthy.  I like Akeke as a high energy sub for Jordy.  

Blase is a steal though, and he's capable of playing a stretch 5.  So, suddenly:

Watson

Nana

McVeigh

Copeland

Blase

is a possibility.  I don't ever recall seeing a Nebraska roster that could put 5 three point threats on the court at the same time.  Wow.  

11 hours ago, LK1 said:

Blase > Jacobson

Morrow > Akeke

Blase > Morrow

It's about a wash, but if I'm looking at what Miles wants to do offensively, Blase/Akeke is an overall better fit than Morrow/Jacobson.  Blase would be excellent for us if healthy.  I like Akeke as a high energy sub for Jordy.  

Blase is a steal though, and he's capable of playing a stretch 5.  So, suddenly:

Watson

Nana

McVeigh

Copeland

Blase

is a possibility.  I don't ever recall seeing a Nebraska roster that could put 5 three point threats on the court at the same time.  Wow.  

who is akeke?

nvm

Edited by bobcat402

Want this guy pretty bad.  He isn't a strong defender, but he does look like a very smart defender.  Knows what type of shot he is willing for the other guy to take and just goes straight up and makes them make that shot over him.  Looks like he can stroke it to spread the defense.  Watching the NBA games and all the good teams pretty much being deadly three point shooting teams, this is the style I want to play.  Michigan light, if you will.  He would help do this next year. 

17 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Want this guy pretty bad.  He isn't a strong defender, but he does look like a very smart defender.  Knows what type of shot he is willing for the other guy to take and just goes straight up and makes them make that shot over him.  Looks like he can stroke it to spread the defense.  Watching the NBA games and all the good teams pretty much being deadly three point shooting teams, this is the style I want to play.  Michigan light, if you will.  He would help do this next year. 

He came from an offense that shot an even higher percentage of 3pt shots than Michigan and he shot a lot of them. The only problem is that he's more likely to shoot 30% from 3 than 40%....especially when it comes to conference play. His two years of full play he started out strong and then shot 26% in conference play.

All that being said and if he's healthy I'd probably take him over Okeke if I needed to chose.

30 percent can be functional as long as it serves a dual purpose of bringing out their bigs to check him out there.  He needs to be closer to 40 if they are leaving him uncontested out there, which I doubt was the case much.  Obviously 35 would be better than 30 though if he is going to shoot quite a few. 

23 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The NBA's transformation to more transition/3-point shooting didn't happen overnight.  It was largely driven by analytics and its early adopters like the Mavs and Rockets.  You obviously have to have the correct personnel to make it work, and obtaining the right guys is much more difficult in the college game where you can't simply buy/trade for them and players have a short shelf life.  Even more difficult to do at an institution such as Nebraska where a freshman recruit has a half-life of ~1 season.

Can it be done?  Definitely.  Look at what Oregon is doing, or Florida State.  The Seminoles ranked in the top 40 in "adjusted tempo" this season after being as low as 202nd six years ago.  The number of teams that shoot 40% or more of their shots from outside the arc has also been trending upward lately:

2016-2017:  82 teams

2015-2016:  66 teams

2014-2015:  46 teams

2013-2014:  35 teams

2012-2013:  34 teams

I've got to ask...does anyone know what our sports analytics department is doing for Nebrasketball?  After making a big deal about creating the group a couple years ago, I have heard virtually nothing about it.  We haven't taken the lead from every single NBA team or every soccer team of significance and installed a SportVu player tracking system at the PBA.  Really makes me question if we have the right people in charge of this...

20 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

He came from an offense that shot an even higher percentage of 3pt shots than Michigan and he shot a lot of them. The only problem is that he's more likely to shoot 30% from 3 than 40%....especially when it comes to conference play. His two years of full play he started out strong and then shot 26% in conference play.

All that being said and if he's healthy I'd probably take him over Okeke if I needed to chose.

We only return two players that shot higher than 30% on 3FG last season:

Watson:  39.3%

McVeigh:  33.8%

And only one more guy that shot over 25% (Gill - 27.6%).  I'd have no problem giving the green light to a big that shot 30% from 3.  Chris Boucher shot 35.0% last year and it worked well for the Ducks.

2 minutes ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

We only return two players that shot higher than 30% on 3FG last season:

Watson:  39.3%

McVeigh:  33.8%

And only one more guy that shot over 25% (Gill - 27.6%).  I'd have no problem giving the green light to a big that shot 30% from 3.  Chris Boucher shot 35.0% last year and it worked well for the Ducks.

I'm not advocating that he shouldn't shoot if he ends up with us. I'm questioning how much a guy who wore down during Ivy League conference play coming off a ACL tear is going to give us. At 10-15 minutes a game, probably enough.

13 hours ago, LK1 said:

Blase > Jacobson

Morrow > Akeke

Blase > Morrow

Watson

Nana

McVeigh

Copeland

Blase

Guards

Watson

Allen

Gill

Taylor (Can play SF)

Palmer (Can play SF)

Nana

Wings

McVeigh

Copeland

Roby

+1

Tshimanga

+1

In my opinion we can win some games with one more serviceable Post player.  I really like the thought of the following line ups.  I REALLY like the Watson/Allen back court, and I really like our two wings in Copeland and Roby

Starting line up

Watson

Allen

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

AND our shooting...

Watson

Allen

Nana

McVeigh

Jordy