2018 C Brady Heiman - LOI -> South Dakota

16 minutes ago, royalfan said:

just hope his touch doesn't become lost with the strength.  We have had issues with that over the years.  

Who? There is a reason professionals lift and no one is worried about them losing their touch. I can attest for myself personally, more strength means increased range and more consistency. You can get a lot stronger and not turn into Arnold. Strength improves quickness, speed, agility, explosiveness and conditioning. At the risk of being redundant, form determines how well you shoot and added strength only increases range and consistency. 

Edited by Dean Smith

Markowski the most obvious example.  Fuller, Jacobsen other obvious examples off the top of my head.  All great high school shooters.  All dreadful shooters after weight room.  You are assuming that proper weight training is done.  I am certainly a proponent of lifting properly, in a way that does not hinder our shooting.  Given our lack of shooting over the years, this has been a small concern of mine.  These are a few of the more obvious examples of guys that put on a lot of pounds and their shooting took a huge plunge.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  

Edited by royalfan

37 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Markowski the most obvious example.  Fuller, Jacobsen other obvious examples off the top of my head.  All great high school shooters.  All dreadful shooters after weight room.  You are assuming that proper weight training is done.  I am certainly a proponent of lifting properly, in a way that does not hinder our shooting.  Given our lack of shooting over the years, this has been a small concern of mine.  These are a few of the more obvious examples of guys that put on a lot of pounds and their shooting took a huge plunge.  Coincidence?  I don't think so.  

Correlation isn't causation. Fuller lit it up every warm up I saw and was brick city in games. My guess is his was all in his head and had nothing to do with the weight room. I never saw Jacobson shoot in high school but he didn’t get enough arch on his shot to be consistent. Again from my personal experience as a player and coach, the most common cause of good shooters going bad is a mental confidence thing. 

Edited by Dean Smith

3 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Correlation isn't causation. Fuller lit it up every warm up I saw and was brick city in games. My guess is his was all in his head and had nothing to do with the weight room. I never saw Jacobson shoot in high school but he didn’t get enough arch on his shot to be consistent. Again from my personal experience as a player and coach, the most common cause of good shooters going bad is a mental confidence thing. 

Correlation absolutely can be causation.  I suppose you don't think that NFL backs that put on muscle that end up struggling didn't lose burst because of adding muscle either.  You would be wrong on that as well.  

20 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Correlation absolutely can be causation.  I suppose you don't think that NFL backs that put on muscle that end up struggling didn't lose burst because of adding muscle either.  You would be wrong on that as well.  

I’m not going to go back and forth on this much longer because I’m not an expert but I have attended SAQ clinics and talked to people that are experts. You can do the Google search yourself. Every NBA team, every college team, all the kinesiology experts, pretty much everybody who makes their living doing that kind of thing thinks your wrong. Here is something from the USA Basketball page:

“Myth No. 3: Lifting Will Affect my Shooting Ability and My Shot 

Look, I've never seen a person's shot get worse from lifting. Shooting is a basketball skill (a fine motor skill at that) which requires thousands of hours and repetitions of practice to develop; and it doesn't just go away from a few weeks of lifting. 

If you're a serious basketball player you should be shooting regularly anyway. As long as you continue to shoot regularly, the extra strength will do nothing but help your shot improve by making it easier and more effortless.”

And by scientific definition, correlation does not equal causation. You have to determine which comes first and then eliminate all other possible variables. The experts feel you aren’t eliminating enough variables when you come to the conclusion lifting can hurt your shot. 

Edited by Dean Smith

LOL, they think I am wrong about what?  Do you read posts?  Did you miss where I said that I am a certainly a proponent of lifting properly, in a way that does not hinder shooting?  There are correct ways of doing it and incorrect ways.  You absolutely must keep shooting while you are gaining the strength so you are adjusting with your strength.  I may be a little pessimistic in relation to our shooting as it has rarely been a strength of our team and I would like to see that change, so we need to be doing everything correctly.  I don't have extreme confidence that our weight training program is the best one for developing shooting.  

Golfers that have bulked up have lost their games as well.  Weight training is a tricky animal.  

Edited by royalfan

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2018 at 2:52 PM, royalfan said:

royal could it be not necessarily the weights but that their shot was quick enough at the high school level but they had to change at college to get their shot off quick and that was why they got worse?

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

If done correctly, no doubt weights are a good thing though.  I just find it interesting all the examples in sports where it went horribly wrong.  David duval an interesting one.  Was best around when chubby and ate bad.  Lost his game when decided to lift and get fit.

But then it doesn't appear to hurt Dustin Johnson,  Brooks Kopeka, Tiger, Justin Thomas...but it has hurt Rory.  I guess  it  matters if it is not done correctly. 

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

But then it doesn't appear to hurt Dustin Johnson,  Brooks Kopeka, Tiger, Justin Thomas...but it has hurt Rory.  I guess  it  matters if it is not done correctly. 

I don't think any of those guys re-shaped their bodies the way Duval and Rory did/has.

Edited by atskooc

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

Man, I think it hurt Tiger. Pretty sure his back injuries started after he started getting really jacked but maybe did not hurt his actual swing.

I suspect Tiger was using gear. His struggles started round about the time the tour started testing. 

22 hours ago, royalfan said:

If done correctly, no doubt weights are a good thing though.  I just find it interesting all the examples in sports where it went horribly wrong.  David duval an interesting one.  Was best around when chubby and ate bad.  Lost his game when decided to lift and get fit.

Duval’s problem was vertigo. 

On 9/1/2018 at 7:29 AM, Jugular said:

Duval’s problem was vertigo. 

That coincidently happened right after all of the physical changes.  I know he went through a rough break up as well.  

Back to Heiman.  Hopefully he is doing it the right way, gets much stronger while maintaining his skill.  He can be pretty darn good.  

• 3 weeks later...