2018 C Brady Heiman - LOI -> South Dakota

22 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Here are a few comparisons, these are the weights as freshmen:
Ubel 6'10" 220lbs

Kye 6'10" 212 lbs

Hammond 6'10" 215 lbs

Turek 6'9" 230lbs

Conklin 6'11" 215 lbs.

Me thinks the listings may have not been terribly accurate.   Just looking at Kye and Hammond, for example, I would say there was way more than a 3 pound difference.  And Conk may have generously added a few pounds on that listing.  

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Nick Bahe on 1620 The Zone said his prediction is that Creighton doesnt offer, Heiman will collect some more lower tier P5 bball offers but none that will hold any advantage over Nebraska, and he expects him to become a Husker.

Also he said he is 6'10 and only 196lbs. Hopefully as soon as his senior bball season is over he wont leave the weight room for the next 6 months.

Have heard Creighton doesn't exactly see a "need" for him at that position now, so yes maybe he ends up at Nebraska ... agree with Bahe ... can't see him getting a better offer than Nebraska. I still think it's not a good idea to recruit this one, but the coaches have to do what they have to do.

I keep coming back to my own personal theories that we should recruit PGs and Centers from this state and when it comes to people of great height we should check out the athletic level of their parents.  He's no guarantee but to me the odds are that he will be a contributor.

I don't think Brady is there yet but to me I think I can see an Elliott Eliasonc or Michael Jacobson type of contributing impact from him.  Also, it finally puts a Nebraska scholarship out of high school kid on the roster. For a team that has trouble filling scholarships and taking shit about not recruiting Nebraska kids, he's a pretty good package.

And there it is

“I grew up a Creighton fan and to receive any type of offer to play for Creighton is exciting," Heiman said. "Creighton has the whole package ... the new Championship Center, a great coaching staff and great fans.”

It seems like Creighton is seeing the same sort of potential that we are but they aren't willing to offer him this year because he's not there to the point they can overlook other needs.  Maybe this is the time where our roster makeup gets us a player.

39 minutes ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Have heard Creighton doesn't exactly see a "need" for him at that position now, so yes maybe he ends up at Nebraska ... agree with Bahe ... can't see him getting a better offer than Nebraska. I still think it's not a good idea to recruit this one, but the coaches have to do what they have to do.

Why is it not a good idea to recruit? Is he not good enough? or is he not high on NU?

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Nick Bahe on 1620 The Zone said his prediction is that Creighton doesnt offer, Heiman will collect some more lower tier P5 bball offers but none that will hold any advantage over Nebraska, and he expects him to become a Husker.

Also he said he is 6'10 and only 196lbs. Hopefully as soon as his senior bball season is over he wont leave the weight room for the next 6 months.

How long after Nick Bahe said Creighton wouldn't offer was it before Creighton offered?

That's in Thor recruitment/offer/commit speed range.

5 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Not always true.  The coaches have to have a "pecking order" on who they want first.  Look how many offers get made and you obviously can't accept them all if every kid decides to accept the NU offer.  If you only had one scholarship open and offered this kid and a 5 star kid, NU would hold out to see if they can get the 5 star kid before they would accept Heiman if he decided to commit.  He might just be lower on the priority list before NU would accept his commitment.  He might be high on their list as I don't know but just because they made the offer don't mean they will accept it unless other kids fall off the radar first.

Sure, conditional offers go out all the time. There's no indication this is the case here.

I think he can contribute here eventually, but it'll take a redshirt season and probably another year or 2 beyond that. Going to have to be patient.

I like his instincts as a shot blocker. Am curious to see how his 3-pt shot has developed, along with his overall offensive game during the summer. 

He has improved a lot over the past couple of years, but still a ways to go to be Big Ten caliber. Still, with big guys, their development seems to come in bunches and it comes late, so I think it's worth taking a chance here. Hopefully he picks the right school.

Edited by throwback

9 hours ago, gobigredbrah said:

Why is it not a good idea to recruit? Is he not good enough? or is he not high on NU?

I just don't think he's good enough and won't be good enough. I'm not sure he has the work ethic to improve ENOUGH to play at a Power 5 level. He's not the greatest teammate and seems to have a bit of a me first attitude ... that isn't fair to say I guess ... I should say he seems to allow his fear to get in the way of competing at the highest level he could. He tends to get in foul trouble because he tries to block EVERYTHING. And he has received a lot of technical fouls, often at inopportune times. It's almost like he takes himself out of games because he fears his best isn't good enough.

His post up game is a bit non-existent. He tends to roam around the floor a bit too much for someone his size, but that may be because he was trying to prove he has range to recruiters. I just don't see any level of dominance at his level of play currently, especially on offense. Don't get me wrong, I can see all the potential. He can get up and down the floor well for his size and has great length and height and there's a lot of room for improvement ... which are all good things.

His lack of weight has led him to be a bit passive on offense and he really laid an egg last year in the state tourney. He looked disengaged from the game and a bit scared of the moment. The team seemed to play better when he was off the floor during that state game. I hope I'm wrong if he ends up coming here, but it seems like a bad choice to offer him imho.

Maybe he's really improved since I saw him during the year? Word is he held one of the top big man recruits in Vegas to a reasonable number of points and that's what helped lead to getting more offers of late.

Basically Creighton isn't sure they have space for him next year as of right now, so they want him to go to a Prep School or the like. Let's see how he responds to that because Creighton is his school of choice all things being equal. He's a bright kid, so academics aren't going to be an issue.

15 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Sure, conditional offers go out all the time. There's no indication this is the case here.

I agree and there is no indication that it's not the case either.  That's why I said I don't know how much of a priority this recruit is the staff.

12 minutes ago, Nafreksuh said:

According to Robin Washut, Brady might make his decision on a commitment as early as today, and things are looking good for Nebraska. 

21 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I grew up a Creighton fan and to receive any type of offer to play for Creighton is exciting," Heiman said. "Creighton has the whole package ... the new Championship Center, a great coaching staff and great fans.”

I know it's only one game a year, but is this someone we really want on our team, competing for us against Creighton?

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

I know it's only one game a year, but is this someone we really want on our team, competing for us against Creighton?

If Darth Vader taught us anything, it's that one can spend years on the dark side and then in a moment of clarity can come back to the light to save the day. 

I mean, if in a person's heart of hearts he really loves Creighton, and he has an offer to go play for them, then I don't see why he wouldn't pursue what would appear to be a lifelong dream.

If that's where he really wants to be, then that's where I want him to be.  Really...and no hard feelings either.

With his early commitment, he will have the whole year to develop his body. Maybe he will need a redshirt year. Let Miles and Brady decide that when a decision is needed.   Enjoy your last year of high school. Maybe by the start of his freshmen year he will be 6'11 and 220 lbs and be a stretch 4/5.

An extra inch is never a bad thing. Im hoping when he arrives he'll be at about 215. Thats something we can work in the offseason to get him to a respectable weight. 

I always feel like centers are kinda like offensive linemen in football... need a year or two to get bigger and stronger.

This site says at the NebHSRecruiting Top 50 showcase on Aug. 1.he had a standing reach of 105.5 inches and a vertical of 31.5

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/platteview-big-man-brady-heiman-moves-quickly-commits-to-nebraska/article_40a373d2-7cb6-11e7-82eb-0bea119a29d6.html

They list the stats for the top 50 from Nebraska under the above article including height/weight, wingspan, standing reach, no-step vertical jump and handsize for each player.