2018 C Brady Heiman - LOI -> South Dakota

40 minutes ago, Jugular said:

They see that he's basically 7'0 and is fairly athletic. He'd be a great RS candidate.

I haven't been that impressed watching him in high school, but he's tall and can move. Everybody needs bigs who can move their feet with so much high screen and roll these days. He also can shoot.

I'm not sure how he fits into what we run. We seem to play a more traditional 5 both on offense and defense. Heiman might be more effective for a team that pressures out on the floor and likes to run, which might be why MInnesota's looking at him. He's already passed the threshold for Summit teams to offer. 

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Lots of people thought the same thing about Justin Patton. But then, when we didn't recruit him… 

I don't root against anyone and his high jump height shows he has some athletic ability. ...but. There is a huge difference between where Patton was and where this kid was at the beginning of last year. I'm sure he has to have improved since then because at that time he didn't have the strength to hold a position or even catch the ball. And if he did catch it, he had no post move at all. He always turned to his left shoulder. So I can root for him to succeed, it's just from last year to being a big 10 player would be quite a journey. 

1 minute ago, Silverbacked1 said:

All I remember about him was watching him collapse under the basket as the ball went in on the shot that become know as "The Miracle on Vine"

and then waking up and hearing on KFOR that he was found dead in his dorm room. 

Ahhh I remember "The miracle on vine" - Ball to Samelson, to Copple

3 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I don't root against anyone and his high jump height shows he has some athletic ability. ...but. There is a huge difference between where Patton was and where this kid was at the beginning of last year. I'm sure he has to have improved since then because at that time he didn't have the strength to hold a position or even catch the ball. And if he did catch it, he had no post move at all. He always turned to his left shoulder. So I can root for him to succeed, it's just from last year to being a big 10 player would be quite a journey. 

I'm not doubting your assessment at all.  You see what you've seen and I respect that your assessment is probably correct.  But if we don't recruit this kid and he goes somewhere else and blows up, the MMQA (Monday Morning Quarterbacks Ass'n) will issue a statement condemning whoever the coach is for failing to accurately forecast how good the kid would end up being.

To me, it's like this:  If Nick Fuller had been from Nebraska, we would still have offered him a spot.  And he'd still see spot duty for 3/4 of his career before transferring somewhere else for his senior year.  We CANNOT afford to offer every single Nick Fuller that comes out of Nebraska just so that we don't miss out on the one in fifty or so Nick Fullers who turns into a Mike Daum.  We especially cannot afford to offer the 100 or so kids in the next tier down from Nick Fuller ... just in case.

• 2 months later...
21 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Unofficial to Nebraska today

Don't want him.  I mean, look at that ring finger on his right hand.  It's broken in multiple places.  And he doesn't have a thumb either.  How in the world is he supposed have soft hands with only 3 1/2 fingers?!?  This makes post players with knees bending the wrong direction seem much more appealing.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, aphilso1 said:

Don't want him.  I mean, look at that ring finger on his right hand.  It's broken in multiple places.  And he doesn't have a thumb either.  How in the world is he supposed have soft hands with only 3 1/2 fingers?!?  This makes post players with knees bending the wrong direction seem much more appealing.

At least he has better hands than #32 in that pictures.  How does #32 shoot with conjoined hands like that?  Or dribble.  It'd be like double dribble every time, right?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/recruiting-report-colleges-taking-notice-as-platteview-s-brady-heiman/article_7e0b83e4-6cd1-11e7-ae3b-4f7eb766573e.html

Is it just me or with our philosophy of not using all of our roster spots because 'we're not going to need 13 guys'  does it seem like if Heiman has the potential to be a starter for you at some point in his career (even if it's only as a redshirt senior) isn't he a no-brainer offer?   Once again I'll bring up the fact that his father was a college athlete as pointing toward him being at least a Div 1 contributor vs a guy who never develops at this level.