2017 Grad Transfer (Winthrop), C, Duby Okeke -- LOI

With a name like Chukwudebem, he's got to be good.

He did have better stats as a freshman and sophomore - 5 ppg and 5 rpg as a soph @ 64 % from the field and 50% from the line - so was there an injury problem last year?  He did have 9 points in 20 minutes against the biggest team they faced last year in Florida State.  Also he did have 16 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks against Gardner Webb - but that was his total for the 3 games they played them.  He didn't do much in a conference that doesn't have much for size, meaning that he probably didn't create any matchup problems when Winthrop was on offense.  So how much of the shot blocking translates to playing against better competition?  Who knows.

Grad transfers are generally looking for someplace where they will (a) get more playing time, (b) where they will get more exposure during the season, or (c) where they will be in the NCAA Tournament.  Since Winthrop was in the tournament last year, and he won't play any more minutes here than there, if he comes here it's because of (b).

With Nebraska's constant turnover, it's hard to build a program. It's one thing to lose bench players, but losing starters as a power five team is tough. It would be nice to take a freshman big who can work on development both in practice and in the weight room for a year. We could have been in a position where we grab a guy like Isiah Chandler. Instead we are scrambling last minute to get a grad transfer who played 14 minutes a game at Winthrop.

This is reality though and this is the position we find ourselves in. This offer makes sense and I hope we can convince him to come here. Having that kind of athlete will make us better in practice even if he never plays a minute. In games where Jordy picks up two early fouls, he  would log some minutes. If Jordy stays out of trouble, I don't see him getting a lot of minutes. 

On 4/8/2017 at 3:51 PM, Norm Peterson said:

My only question is why wasn't he able to start for Winthrop?  Only playing 14 mpg or so?

He started over half the games last year.  Winthrop plays at a very uptempo pace...their most popular lineup for the last 5 games didn't have a guy over 6'8" or over 185# on the court!  Between the pace and fouls and his offensive limitations the minutes were limited.

On 4/8/2017 at 4:00 PM, nustudent said:

Maybe he's not very good 

He's not a guy who should be anything but Jordy's backup...so he's Bakary Konate with at least a post move on offense.  When you google "Duby Okeke injury" all you get is a fractured wrist from 2 years ago that he recovered from in 3 weeks.  We don't specifically need to land Okeke but if we want to land a grad transfer big man this is probably about as good as a get that we can expect.  Look at it this way....it's an open scholarship for whomever is coaching here next year.

14 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Congrats!  You just joined a really special elite club of posters who have more down arrows than posts.

I dont care. This program has been dog shit the past few years any now were going to add a guy who wil average 4 points and 2 boards a game? Woohoo.

On 4/12/2017 at 0:39 PM, huskerbill85 said:

I dont care. This program has been dog shit the past few years any now were going to add a guy who wil average 4 points and 2 boards a game? Woohoo.

You seem like you are just a boat load of fun... Real life of the party.

Last time I checked, 4 pts and 2 boards a game is more than we currently have from our backup center.