Morrow leaving

Jacobson and Morrow would have both played.   Borchardt and Okeke wouldve never seen the floor.   Jordy wouldnt have played much at all.   Jack doesn't play much at all early on and think Gill and Allen may have lost some minutes with Palmer sliding down to the 2 with Roby's versatility giving him some time at the 3.

If Ed and Mike had stayed: Okeke would never have been here; Borchardt would never have been on scholarship; and Jordy was probably gone.  That’s a lot of minutes available at the 5.

But Ed’s feet probably wouldn’t have lasted more than a half-season.  

That means Jacobsen probably would have played a lot at the 5—shouldn’t have transferred, unless he really, really wants to be a 4.

Edited by Swan88

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

As our second leading scorer, Copeland was used completely differently on the offensive end of the court than MJ because his shots actually went in.  He's every bit the rebounder Jacobson is.  He also never played the 5 like MJ did.  When you've proven yourself to be a big who cannot score, you had better dirty it up inside.  

Additionally, our team shooting % was higher (2pt, 3pt, FT) this past season.  There literally weren't as many boards to be had, thank God.    

Rebound percentage is just that - a percentage of the rebounds available that a particular player grabs. It's not based on totals. We have three full years of Copeland and two of Jacobson to go off of. Isaac Copeland is unquestionably a better player than Michael Jacobson; it's OK to admit Jacobson is the better rebounder. 

6 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Rebound percentage is just that - a percentage of the rebounds available that a particular player grabs. It's not based on totals. We have three full years of Copeland and two of Jacobson to go off of. Isaac Copeland is unquestionably a better player than Michael Jacobson; it's OK to admit Jacobson is the better rebounder. 

Jacobson reminded me a lot of Greg Church who played for Missouri (for the old timers here).  Just a guy that brings his lunch pail to work and does his job.

6 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Sometimes those number are influenced by style of play. Ronnie Harrell playing for Creighton has a lot lower OR% numbers than you'd expect as the Jays punted on offensive rebounds. When he's playing for Denver and Rodney Billups  next year, that number is going to jump.

Jacobson has superior rebounding numbers to the point you can say his ability is greater than Copeland's. Rebounding is ability but it's also mindset. Jacobson spent the first couple of years with the mindset of cleaning the boards on both ends. Copeland spent parts of his seasons at Georgetown as the 3rd biggest guy on the court; rebounding was expected but there was always a superior option on the floor. I'd expect a second season at Nebraska will shift his mindset slightly more towards rebounding.

Really though as long as he mentally knows he's the man on the boards when Roby or Jordy aren't in the game we'll be ok.

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Sure, I can admit that Jacobson might be a better rebounder than Copeland.  Slightly.  Perhaps.  I think part of that is Jacobson following up on his own misses.  Copeland didn't have as many of those.  Part of that is the position they're playing.  Jacobson as a sophomore was 4 of  23 from 3 for 17.4%; Copeland last year was 41 of 111 for 37%.  Jacobson is getting more offensive boards because he's spending more time closer to the basket.

Bottom line, @Dean Smith is right.  Our starting lineup last year wouldn't have been different if Jacobson had stayed.  Roby eventually beats out Jacobson and so does Copeland.  Jacobson comes off the bench for us, just as he will for ISU.

13 hours ago, Swan88 said:

If Ed and Mike had stayed: Okeke would never have been here; Borchardt would never have been on scholarship; and Jordy was probably gone.  That’s a lot of minutes available at the 5.

But Ed’s feet probably wouldn’t have lasted more than a half-season.  

That means Jacobsen probably would have played a lot at the 5—shouldn’t have transferred, unless he really, really wants to be a 4.

I think Jacobson wanted to not be a 5 more than he wants to be a 4...getting your ass kicked by centers every game that outweighed you by 10+ lbs probably wasn't a ton of fun.  I think he would have stuck with it if we had been winning though....I don't think MJ believes he's going to the NBA. He would have been paired with Jordy again and probably got more minutes but when you remember all the bricks Jordy has shot in his career can you believe that MJ has never had a better eFG% than Jordy?!?!?? I didn't...I had to look at the numbers 3 times.

Ed Morrow with good feet and a good attitude is the superior option as a traditional center on this team because of his ability to score in the post, rebound, and generally defend the other team's center without picking up fouls.  How long were the feet or the attitude going to hold up this year?  Your guess is as good as mine.

BTW we're having quite the off season this year as we're re-hashing transfers from the year before.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Many examples in this thread about how statistics for basketball can be interpreted in different ways and there can be many different circumstances that can change how we look at them.  

"Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."

-Yogi Berra

6 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

"Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."

-Yogi Berra

On 5/23/2018 at 1:07 AM, Jacob Padilla said:

Fair enough on OR%, but that's not accounting for IC shooting/making midrange jumpers and threes.  MJ's only offense was the prayer of an offensive putback.  That doesn't make him a better rebounder.  The defensive rebounding stats are way more accurate as their roles on that end are much more similar.

9 hours ago, LK1 said:

Fair enough on OR%, but that's not accounting for IC shooting/making midrange jumpers and threes.  MJ's only offense was the prayer of an offensive putback.  That doesn't make him a better rebounder.  The defensive rebounding stats are way more accurate as their roles on that end are much more similar.

Simply going after offensive rebounds doesn't mean you're going to get them. You still have to actually be good at it. And it's not like all of Jacobson's offensive boards came on his own misses nor is it like he just planted himself near the rim all day waiting for boards. He still played away from the basket and shot jumpers as well. Jacobson has been significantly more productive on the offensive glass and a little more productive on the defensive glass. Overall, it seems like Jacobson has been a better rebounder. 

But dimes is right; this is a strange topic to have an extended debate about. 

12 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Which former Beatle had the best song after their 1970 breakup?   I vote George.

My top 5 favorites, in no particular order:

George Harrison - What is Life

George Harrison - Got My Mind Set On You

John Lennon - Watching the Wheels

Paul McCartney - Band on the Run

Paul McCartney - Let Me Roll It

But although it's not in my top 5, the answer to your question might be Imagine by John Lennon.

This thread has me confused now.  Do you want the top songs Morrow and Jacobson have had since they left NU?  Didn't know they were in a band. Being a Beatles fan I better give my list:

Lennon: Imagine (good call HuskerActuary) or Instant Karma

McCartney: To many for me to choose from (Junior's Farm, not his best but one of my favs)

Starr (Starkey): It don't come easy

Harrison: What is Life

Ed had a heck of time while at nebraska with his feet and shoes.  Does anyone definitely know whether or not a player has his choice of shoe manufacturer or does the player have to wear the school's contractual shoe.  I know our players appear to wear varying styles, but they all appear to adhere to our contractual tie.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:23 AM, Huskerpapa said:

Ed had a heck of time while at nebraska with his feet and shoes.  Does anyone definitely know whether or not a player has his choice of shoe manufacturer or does the player have to wear the school's contractual shoe.  I know our players appear to wear varying styles, but they all appear to adhere to our contractual tie.

They have to wear adidas. But we had molds of his feet made and sent to adidas for them to make special custom shoes. The shoes should not have been an issue

I was only casually referring to Morrow; my question was whether or not the student athlete was bound by the shoe contract that was negotiated and agreed upon by the shoe manufacturer and the school?  If the student athlete wears a shoe made by a different manufacturer in a practice or game, is it a breach of contract; and if so, what are the consequences for the school and the student athlete?

• 1 month later...

Do you think Morrow is regretting his decision to transfer to Marquette now that his old high school buddy, Jabari Parker, decided to move back to Chicago and sign with his hometown Bulls?

It will be interesting to see what his role is with Marquette.  Seems like they have a lot of talent.

He would have been a great sub for Roby and Copeland off the bench this year. Of course I don’t think he ever had any plans on coming off the bench for Nebraska...