Morrow leaving

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Now, I don't profess to know a ton about Marquette basketball, but I question how well Ed scouted out his options before choosing them as his transfer destination.

This year, when Ed will be eligible as a junior, Marquette returns 7 of its top 8 players.  These include the following players potentially competing against him for minutes:

Jr Sam Hauser, G/F, 6'8", 220 (returning starter)

Jr Sacar Anim, G/F, 6'5", 210 (returning starter)

Sr Matt Heldt, C, 6'10", 240 (22 min/game)

So Jamal Cain, F, 6'7", 195 (17 min/game)

So Theo John, PF, 6'9", 240 (49 min, 18 pts, 13 bds as a true frosh in 3 NIT games to end the season)

(plus two guards who combined to average nearly 60 minutes and 26 points/game on the season)

In addition, besides Ed, they add the following:

RFr Joey Hauser, 4-star PF, 6'9", 230

RFr Ike Eke, 3-star PF, 6'9", 220

Fr Brendan Bailey, 4-star (Rivals #54) G/F, 6'8", 190

So, if Ed sees himself as more of a big (PF/C), he has plenty of competition; if he sees himself as a wing, he has even more competition.

If he wants to start, I don't see it happening.  Not at Marquette.

They lose 3 players 44 minutes a game, 33 minutes at guard, 7 minutes at center, and 4 minutes at SF.  (The 4 minutes at SF was a guy who transferred after the first semester.)  They add three redshirts including the highly regarded Joey Hauser, the four star wing player, and a grad transfer SG/PG from Fordham.

Some of the guard minutes will be made up by the grad transfer, some will be from increased minutes from the sophomore backup guard who averaged 18 minutes, some could be from Anim playing some at SG and not just at SF.

It appears that Cain's 17 min/game was exclusively at the 4 last year (at 6'7" and 195), and Hauser played 23 min/game at the 4 and 9 min/game at the 3.  Theo John played exclusively at C.  So, they never played with a big lineup.  They've got enough perimeter players that Sam Hauser will probably still get quite a few minutes at the 4 and Joey Hauser will get a lot of the rest.  So if Ed is playing much at the 4, mark me down as surprised.

Ed was never healthy while at Nebraska in terms of his feet. Since leaving Nebraska Ed had another health scare that at the time put his future of ever playing basketball again in question. I haven’t heard the resolution to that so I will certainly be interested to see what he can do this year if anything 

On 5/18/2018 at 4:36 PM, LK1 said:

He should've been a 4 the entire time he was here, and he would've been a great one.  I thought he was justified in leaving and I still wish we had him.  MJ?  Meh.  

I have heard from Iowa State fans that they are excited to see jacobsen play... 

My guess is that Jacobsen will have a bigger impact for Iowa State than Morrow will have for Marquette.

3 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

I have heard from Iowa State fans that they are excited to see jacobsen play... 

My guess is that Jacobsen will have a bigger impact for Iowa State than Morrow will have for Marquette.

I won't go as far as comparing the two, but I fully expect Jake will play a key role for ISU.  He is a good player, and was a good player for us.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I won't go as far as comparing the two, but I fully expect Jake will play a key role for ISU.  He is a good player, and was a good player for us.

I'll gladly compare the two.  They weren't even close to being equal players.  Morrow was clearly better and often the best player on the court for us when healthy.  I always liked MJ, too, but it's pretty crazy how much more he seems to be missed than Morrow around here.  MJ had below average numbers for his age and position in the B1G when he played for us.  I think he'll be a decent upperclassman if his shots ever go in, though.  But as a Husker, Morrow was better on both ends of the court, and a way better rebounder.  

MJ will definitely play a key role for ISU.  They went 4-14 in conference last year, 13-18 overall.  Marquette went 21-14 and will have a better squad returning.  

I wish them both the best because knowing how good Roby was becoming and Copeland was going to be, the writing was on the wall for both guys.  They both made the right decision.  

10 hours ago, LK1 said:

I'll gladly compare the two.  They weren't even close to being equal players.  Morrow was clearly better and often the best player on the court for us when healthy.  I always liked MJ, too, but it's pretty crazy how much more he seems to be missed than Morrow around here.  MJ had below average numbers for his age and position in the B1G when he played for us.  I think he'll be a decent upperclassman if his shots ever go in, though.  But as a Husker, Morrow was better on both ends of the court, and a way better rebounder.  

MJ will definitely play a key role for ISU.  They went 4-14 in conference last year, 13-18 overall.  Marquette went 21-14 and will have a better squad returning.  

I wish them both the best because knowing how good Roby was becoming and Copeland was going to be, the writing was on the wall for both guys.  They both made the right decision.  

It is interesting watching players as they develop from freshman year through senior year.  For MJ he came in and put on a lot of muscle and was asked to play the 5 while still recovering from injury.  The kid had good form, but simply could not get his outside shots to fall consistently.   He worked his ass off rebounding and doing the little crap that many others don't like doing.  From all accounts he was unselfish and was a well liked teammate.

He will play well this coming season....I will be surprised if he doesn't. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

Really liked ED, but.........He is not better than Copeland or Roby. Jacobson is not better than them either, in fact, Jordy is a better fit with Roby and Copeland than Jocobson and Morrow ever were. The truth is that those two knew they would get limited minutes. IF Marquette and Iowa State are NCAA caliber teams than both Morrow and Jacobsen will be bench players with the same roles they would have had at Nebraska had they stayed. 

Edited by DOATHLON

I think Both Ed and MJ are the type of players that coaches end up playing a lot...They both do a lot of the dirty work and those type of players just get minutes....

I think both would have played significant minutes if they had stayed and both will play significant minutes at their new school.

Coaches love guys that box out and get rebounds...

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

I think Both Ed and MJ are the type of players that coaches end up playing a lot...They both do a lot of the dirty work and those type of players just get minutes....

I think both would have played significant minutes if they had stayed and both will play significant minutes at their new school.

Coaches love guys that box out and get rebounds...

Whose minutes would they have taken? Ed was better than MJ so I see Jacobson sitting nest to Jack by the end of the season. Ed takes Jordy's minutes, Jordy transfers and Ed is still not happy with playing time so he probably transfers after this season if Copeland comes back.   Maybe the more likely scenario would have been MJ is still sitting on the end of the bench so either way Michael transfers at the end of this last season but Ed also takes minutes from Roby, thus delaying his development and Ed is still not happy because he is still playing the  5. Ed's ceiling is nowhere near Roby's so that hurts us in the long run. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think the two of them leaving was what was best for them and the NU program. 

3 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Whose minutes would they have taken? Ed was better than MJ so I see Jacobson sitting nest to Jack by the end of the season. Ed takes Jordy's minutes, Jordy transfers and Ed is still not happy with playing time so he probably transfers after this season if Copeland comes back.   Maybe the more likely scenario would have been MJ is still sitting on the end of the bench so either way Michael transfers at the end of this last season but Ed also takes minutes from Roby, thus delaying his development and Ed is still not happy because he is still playing the  5. Ed's ceiling is nowhere near Roby's so that hurts us in the long run. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think the two of them leaving was what was best for them and the NU program. 

While Copeland's stats aren't mindblowing, he has quietly doubled MJ's offensive production while shooting almost 50% from the floor and managing the same rebounds.  He's also a WAY better on-ball defender and moves laterally extremely well, stretches the floor from 3, etc.  MJ shot 38%.  The difference between those two guys is the difference between several wins and losses.  No way MJ plays significant minutes here his junior or senior years with an upgrade as excellent as Copeland has been and a future draft pick in Roby.  I think your assessment is spot on with Ed, as well, though I think he would've been a really fun piece to have with this level of athleticism on the roster.  

Both kids made the right decision to leave.  I'm not sure if Ed picked the right school, but I wish both of them the best.  They played hard for us and hit the weights in the offseason.  I thought they both represented Nebraska basketball well.   

26 minutes ago, LK1 said:

While Copeland's stats aren't mindblowing, he has quietly doubled MJ's offensive production while shooting almost 50% from the floor and managing the same rebounds.  He's also a WAY better on-ball defender and moves laterally extremely well, stretches the floor from 3, etc.  MJ shot 38%.  The difference between those two guys is the difference between several wins and losses.  No way MJ plays significant minutes here his junior or senior years with an upgrade as excellent as Copeland has been and a future draft pick in Roby.  I think your assessment is spot on with Ed, as well, though I think he would've been a really fun piece to have with this level of athleticism on the roster.  

Both kids made the right decision to leave.  I'm not sure if Ed picked the right school, but I wish both of them the best.  They played hard for us and hit the weights in the offseason.  I thought they both represented Nebraska basketball well.   

It's funny because I don't remember how many times last year people were bashing on Copeland for his "lack" of rebounding.  Then to see some on here saying that MJ does "the dirty work" and he is a guy who can get rebounds.  When all in all, Cope was getting as many rebounds as MJ.  

I agree with Dean.  MJ was going to lose playing time.  There is no if's and's or but's about that.  Ed would have played.  However, I have and always will stick to the statement that Ed only helps us if he does what we want him to do.  That is play down low, bang around in the post, be a man gone wild, get boards, and score easy put-backs.  If Ed wants to be more of a 4, he hurts us this year because we had Roby and Copeland for that.  I will 100% take those two at the 4 over Ed.  

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

It's funny because I don't remember how many times last year people were bashing on Copeland for his "lack" of rebounding.  Then to see some on here saying that MJ does "the dirty work" and he is a guy who can get rebounds.  When all in all, Cope was getting as many rebounds as MJ.  

I agree with Dean.  MJ was going to lose playing time.  There is no if's and's or but's about that.  Ed would have played.  However, I have and always will stick to the statement that Ed only helps us if he does what we want him to do.  That is play down low, bang around in the post, be a man gone wild, get boards, and score easy put-backs.  If Ed wants to be more of a 4, he hurts us this year because we had Roby and Copeland for that.  I will 100% take those two at the 4 over Ed.  

Using Ed to his best ability helped with rebounding but hurt us in two ways. He was almost always a black hole when the ball was passed to him in the post. Even when double teamed. And his skill set was suited to play post but he was too small to play defense against traditional posts. The first issue can be corrected with coaching but the second can't be corrected unless he plays another position. I don't know if his handles will ever be good enough to play the 3, or even the 4. In any case, best of luck to him.

Edited by MandRHusker

4 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Just getting the rebound isn't what MJ did...often he put a body on someone which allowed another player to get the rebound...Both Morrow and MJ were very good at blocking out their guy...doesn't mean they always get rewarded with the board....in fact that is how some guards get 8 boards in some games is because their big guys are so effective at keeping the other teams bigs from getting position.

Minutes...I think Jacobsen (assuming only he stayed) would have probably gotten about 18 minutes a game...maybe more depending on how the chemsitry of the team would have gone.

coming from Okeke probably would not have come here 7 minutes a game

i think Evan taylor  and Anton Gill's minutes would have lessened and guys like Palmer copeland and roby would have taken some of those minutes...not a direct replacement, but minutes would have shifted because i think good things would have happened when MJ was on floor and Miles would have found a way to play him....heck he was giving about 8 minutes a game to Jack before he finally realized jack couldn't get his shot to groove and I think MJ did a lot more for the team than jack in the previous year.

59 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Minutes...I think Jacobsen (assuming only he stayed) would have probably gotten about 18 minutes a game...maybe more depending on how the chemsitry of the team would have gone.

coming from Okeke probably would not have come here 7 minutes a game

i think Evan taylor  and Anton Gill's minutes would have lessened and guys like Palmer copeland and roby would have taken some of those minutes...not a direct replacement, but minutes would have shifted because i think good things would have happened when MJ was on floor and Miles would have found a way to play him....heck he was giving about 8 minutes a game to Jack before he finally realized jack couldn't get his shot to groove and I think MJ did a lot more for the team than jack in the previous year.

Jack was vital this past year to bench skits after a made 3

I’ve said many times Copeland is a bad rebounder and it’s more to do w him not willing to do the little things like mixing it up in the post and boxing out.  What he brings to the offense far out Ways what he lacks In rebounding however. If he comes back and miles doesn’t have some set plays in the offense for him around the elbow I might lose the rest of my hair this season. 

5 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Jacobson and Copeland were fairly comparable as defensive rebounders (slight edge to MJ) but Jacbson's offensive rebounding rate was twice what Copeland's was this year. Jacobson averaged 3 more boards per 40 minutes than Copeland did. 

As our second leading scorer, Copeland was used completely differently on the offensive end of the court than MJ because his shots actually went in.  He's every bit the rebounder Jacobson is.  He also never played the 5 like MJ did.  When you've proven yourself to be a big who cannot score, you had better dirty it up inside.  

Additionally, our team shooting % was higher (2pt, 3pt, FT) this past season.  There literally weren't as many boards to be had, thank God.    

Edited by LK1