Omaha Central (a little OT)

• 2 weeks later...

Ik boosters were not happy with both the football and basketball coach, at Peru a lot of off the field/court drama that went on between football and basketball players, there was a stabbing or two, might be trying to get out while he can, ik the football coach is a bad season away from gettting canned 

31 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The situation at Peru State does not sound good and maybe Behrens saw a way out here.  I just wonder if it is coincidence or was Holling forced out with Behrens in mind as a replacement.  BTW love the avatar bobcat (Go Bucs!)

Yea people are a little upset down there both coaches brought in kids with a lot of character issues from FL, CA, Tx with talent level that didn't match and wins didn't follow, @Silverbacked1 knows as well as I some of the issues 

Yeah the one kid that got stabbed this year was my son's house mate.  Always been some rif between the two teams and it just got really bad one night.

The head football coach is also the athletic director, so if he stepped aside he would still have a job, a guess.

Never understood why that school didn't recruit the $h1t out of Omaha, Lincoln and Kansas City.  And then fill in with kids with in a 75 mile radius.  There are a bunch of really good high school football teams around there that I am sure guys would want to come play close to home.

Instead the football and basketball team's are filled with guys from all over the country, who show up.  See what it is like to live in a town of 600 people in Nebraska and are gone before the season is often over.

Oh well at least my son is getting a good education, is growing up and is enjoying himself.

48 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Yeah the one kid that got stabbed this year was my son's house mate.  Always been some rif between the two teams and it just got really bad one night.

The head football coach is also the athletic director, so if he stepped aside he would still have a job, a guess.

Never understood why that school didn't recruit the $h1t out of Omaha, Lincoln and Kansas City.  And then fill in with kids with in a 75 mile radius.  There are a bunch of really good high school football teams around there that I am sure guys would want to come play close to home.

Instead the football and basketball team's are filled with guys from all over the country, who show up.  See what it is like to live in a town of 600 people in Nebraska and are gone before the season is often over.

Oh well at least my son is getting a good education, is growing up and is enjoying himself.

Either they took away the football coach AD spot or they're going too, I can't remember but the guys ik (townies) that donate and do a lot are tired of the craziness 

18 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Kids from Omaha and Lincoln that can play competitively at the NAIA D1 Level DO NOT want to go to Peru, NE for the four best years of their lives. NAIA D1 is no joke. And the conference they play in is very competitive. Even though they play in a higher level, Peru is still competing for the best NAIA talent of Nebraska with Doane/Midland/Concordia/Hastings etc... - all better options than Peru State, especially since the kids we are talking about don't really care if it's NAIA D1 or D2, AND, especially if they can afford those other schools. 

It's tough sledding for Peru unfortunately... I've always thought it was a really cool place with a ton of potential. The type of guys Behrens brought in are the right types of guys he needed to be competitive in the conference he is in. If you don't believe me, look at his first two record there vs some of the record of the previous coach. 

I know 

7 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Kids from Omaha and Lincoln that can play competitively at the NAIA D1 Level DO NOT want to go to Peru, NE for the four best years of their lives. NAIA D1 is no joke. And the conference they play in is very competitive. Even though they play in a higher level, Peru is still competing for the best NAIA talent of Nebraska with Doane/Midland/Concordia/Hastings etc... - all better options than Peru State, especially since the kids we are talking about don't really care if it's NAIA D1 or D2, AND, especially if they can afford those other schools. 

It's tough sledding for Peru unfortunately... I've always thought it was a really cool place with a ton of potential. The type of guys Behrens brought in are the right types of guys he needed to be competitive in the conference he is in. If you don't believe me, look at his first two record there vs some of the record of the previous coach. 

I know but they also are bringing in some guys who might not be the best "neighbors" (The one basketball player Peru was going to be I think his fourth school in four years, and some didn't get to play this year because of the fight they were not allowed to be on campus) I am not saying just recuit locally, because they are in the toughest conference in the country.  Football alone this year had like 5 teams rated and Baker ended up runner up.  But the local kids  are the kids you could make the base with.  Most would stay all 4 years and then you could fill in wlth the other guys. If you look at some of the better team rosters for football in that conference that is what they do.  They have a senior class with like 25-30 players who are 4 year guys that are local.  When they won the national title at Peru they had a good mix of local and out of state players.  I watched about 75% of their basketball games last year. So yeah they did have the right mix then.  My son had a couple of classes with Corday and he followed the basketball team because of him.

It is the cheapest tuition in the state, and they have a really great on line program.  Is it the best around?  Hard to say, but my son has enjoyed it, except for a couple of weeks last fall.  He has made some good friends, hangs out with the football players and gets along with everybody.  Will hopefully graduate next year and be a Special Ed teacher and coach.

50 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I know 

I know but they also are bringing in some guys who might not be the best "neighbors" (The one basketball player Peru was going to be I think his fourth school in four years, and some didn't get to play this year because of the fight they were not allowed to be on campus) I am not saying just recuit locally, because they are in the toughest conference in the country.  Football alone this year had like 5 teams rated and Baker ended up runner up.  But the local kids  are the kids you could make the base with.  Most would stay all 4 years and then you could fill in wlth the other guys. If you look at some of the better team rosters for football in that conference that is what they do.  They have a senior class with like 25-30 players who are 4 year guys that are local.  When they won the national title at Peru they had a good mix of local and out of state players.  I watched about 75% of their basketball games last year. So yeah they did have the right mix then.  My son had a couple of classes with Corday and he followed the basketball team because of him.

It is the cheapest tuition in the state, and they have a really great on line program.  Is it the best around?  Hard to say, but my son has enjoyed it, except for a couple of weeks last fall.  He has made some good friends, hangs out with the football players and gets along with everybody.  and Will hopefully graduate next year and be a Special Ed teacher and coach.

A good combination to find a job.  Is he sure he wants to enter the coaching field?  (Does he read this board?) :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I know 

It is the cheapest tuition in the state, and they have a really great on line program.  Is it the best around?  Hard to say, but my son has enjoyed it, except for a couple of weeks last fall.  He has made some good friends, hangs out with the football players and gets along with everybody.  Will hopefully graduate next year and be a Special Ed teacher and coach.

Your last paragraph is why I think it has so much potential - yet arguably also the reason it struggles (in a way). Kind of an interesting dichotomy and study in college tuition and perception. 

Also - does Peru have JV basketball yet? When I was slumming it in the NAIA coaching ranks I remember Peru didn't have a JV team, and could not understand why you wouldn't want to do that (JV kids usually pay full tuition). 

15 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

A good combination to find a job.  Is he sure he wants to enter the coaching field?  (Does he read this board?) :rolleyes:

Yeah I have taught for 30 years, so I kid of guided him towards teaching. He has the personality and even temper to be a good teacher.  Kids seem to be drawn to him, in a good way.  And he is a very good coach.

He is also 6'2" 310 so he will have that going for him when it comes time to put him in a room with strong willed behavior type kids.

At a career fair the other day he was just walking through to get to class and a recuiter from a private Academy for troubled youth, kind of like BoysTown,  Came running over to him and asked what his major was.  When she found out she almost offered him a job on the spot.  He would quailfy for a dorm leader now without a degree.

So that kind of got him so that he maybe will work a bit harder to get somethings done so that he can get out in the real world.

Only thing he needs to do now is pass the math and written tests that all education majors need to take now He only has his Sped classes left, and Student Teaching

Is this the Haymarket Hardwood, or the Bobcat Den? I kid i kid, Peru non committal to recruiting, i always felt when i went there and even when i was in high school, was mostly a lack of trying, I played at Papio and i never heard from a coach from Peru nor did most of my teammates until like 3 months after the football season ended and they had made up their minds with what they were going to do, and in talking to other teammates from the metro (there were 7 of us i think) it was the same, they just dont recruit Metro football very hard. 

9 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

Is this the Haymarket Hardwood, or the Bobcat Den? I kid i kid, Peru non committal to recruiting, i always felt when i went there and even when i was in high school, was mostly a lack of trying, I played at Papio and i never heard from a coach from Peru nor did most of my teammates until like 3 months after the football season ended and they had made up their minds with what they were going to do, and in talking to other teammates from the metro (there were 7 of us i think) it was the same, they just dont recruit Metro football very hard. 

Or say yeah you can play for us, then in JUly send out a letter that says well we have too many Freshman coming in so you can come out in January.  While 14 of the guys that they do bring in later from all over the country leave, 5 of them before the first week is over.  And 2 never show up.  But mean while you have told 15 local kids thanks but wait until Jan. and they all say yeah....... no.  But are all still in school there, just not playing football.  Makes me go WTF? 

3 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Yeah I have taught for 30 years, so I kid of guided him towards teaching. He has the personality and even temper to be a good teacher.  Kids seem to be drawn to him, in a good way.  And he is a very good coach.

He is also 6'2" 310 so he will have that going for him when it comes time to put him in a room with strong willed behavior type kids.

At a career fair the other day he was just walking through to get to class and a recuiter from a private Academy for troubled youth, kind of like BoysTown,  Came running over to him and asked what his major was.  When she found out she almost offered him a job on the spot.  He would quailfy for a dorm leader now without a degree.

So that kind of got him so that he maybe will work a bit harder to get somethings done so that he can get out in the real world.

Only thing he needs to do now is pass the math and written tests that all education majors need to take now He only has his Sped classes left, and Student Teaching

Good luck to him. I have a daughter who is just starting her teaching career.

Napoleon returned from exile in Elba to take back control of France, Coach Behrens wants to return from exile in Peru, Nebraska to retake control of Omaha Central Basketball.If there is any coach in Nebraska who could call his old employer and say "I want my old job back," it'd be Coach Behrens. Part of it also might have to do with the fact his son is going into his senior year. Central Basketball hasn't won a state tourney game since he left, so we'll see what this comes to.

23 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I agree with all you are saying here.  But I also think that with some effort it could be turned around.  The price is the one that I would push the most.  When I went to NWU I could work part time as a waiter in the winter, spring, summer and play football and live at home.  Payed for my education.  Now,  I don't think it would even cover my books.  Basketball wise I think you have to go outside of the area.  There a ton more teams that play D1 NAIA basketball than football.  So I do agree with you there.  Football wise I think you could at least start to build something with the local base.  Guess after next year I will only be seeing what is going on in the paper and won't care as much as I do now.

Good talking with you guys about this.  Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I agree with all you are saying here.  But I also think that with some effort it could be turned around.  The price is the one that I would push the most.  When I went to NWU I could work part time as a waiter in the winter, spring, summer and play football and live at home.  Payed for my education.  Now,  I don't think it would even cover my books.  Basketball wise I think you have to go outside of the area.  There a ton more teams that play D1 NAIA basketball than football.  So I do agree with you there.  Football wise I think you could at least start to build something with the local base.  Guess after next year I will only be seeing what is going on in the paper and won't care as much as I do now.

Good talking with you guys about this.  Thanks.

I love small-college, Nebraska basketball so it's a favorite topic of mine.