O.T. The passing of an icon

cipsucks

To take a break from basketball, I want to mark the passing of the person who I think truly is  the "father" of rock and roll.  Chuck Berry.  He wrote all his songs, which were really, really good. He kicked ass on the guitar.  He had a great stage presence.  John Lennon once said, if you wanted to rename rock 'n' roll, you could call it Chuck Berry.

When I heard the news of his passing yesterday, I was really bummed even though he lived to be 90.  I'm sure Buddy Holly greeted him at the Pearly Gates and said "what took you so long?"  Chuck replies, "Me? Ask Keith Richards that in another 40 years."

So many Berry videos I could have posted, but I chose this classic to show what PBA ticketholders look like at a Husker game.  ;)  Check out the people behind Chuck.  RIP Mr. Berry!

50 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Great way to start my Monday, Cip. Now I'm ready to be up in the morning and off to school.By the way Jean Peck was actually at that performance. She was the one who gave three polite claps at the end.

Well played Jimmy!

Passing of an icon indeed.  One by one we are losing those that made the music of my youth.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be morbid but a Red Sox site (SOSH) used to have an annual thread  on the next icon to fall. Maybe we should start one if Cip's thread continues to survive. My own choices: 1. Bobby Doerr-baseball 2. Kirk Douglas-movies 3. Jerry Lewis-comedy 4. Fats Domino-music. No disrespect-all of these guys are pretty old/and- or decrepit.And no comments about the kettle calling the pot...