so what's next?

khoock

Might be redundant so feel free to delete this thread if it is, but I kinda wanted to tie all these recruiting possibilities together.

So now that we have two open scholarships are possibilities have expanded quiet a bit.

Scholarship #1 is almost certain to go to Mark Smith, Tywhon Pickford, or yet to be determined grad transfer PG. That has to get done bc we need a PG or combo guard badly.

But where is scholarship #2 best used?

-We could definitely use another big bodied C like Jordy. I'm assuming that will come via RS transfer or grad transfer. Don't think there are good high school C prospects left at this point in the year that we would be able to get in on.

-Some of us, including myself, wouldn't mind taking a chance on an instate prospect since we don't have any other glaring needs. But at this moment I don't think there is any legs to that thought.

-Or we could just nab a talented RS of any position just for talent acquisition purposes. Some of you think that's what Miles does anyway.

-Lastly we could keep the scholarship and save it for later

Any other possibilities that I'm missing? Feel free to share opinions, information, and thoughts. Or if this is too repetitive feel free to get rid of the thread.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Miles has been known to keep an open schollie, generally for an open slot for potential mid-year Div. 1 transfer possibilities being better than many of the late-year H.S. prospects.

While true, I'd argue that he doesn't have the time/security to hold one back for 18-19.    He needs all the help he can get now 

10 minutes ago, jdw said:

Had we not had so called self imposed sanctions Copeland would not be here.

While possibly true....a couple of points...

A.  Copeland has yet to play 1 minute here.  Im super excited for him and think his ceiling is through the roof...but lets keep things in check until he produces here.

B.  To play devil's advocate, couldn't we say that had we done better at filling needs and holes earlier, maybe the need for Copeland wouldn't be as much?

C.  Or maybe we wouldn't have taken Taylor and had an opening for Copeland.   Point being...a lot of what ifs in this area.

Edited by nustudent

13 hours ago, nustudent said:

Backup point guard

Shooting off guard 

in no order but both are equal needs 

This. With Palmer an academic risk and Gill's recovery uncertain, we need to back fill guards. I am no medical expert but have read that recovery from a patella rupture is very difficult and those that do play again often never regain their former athleticism. Regarding Palmer, I have heard nothing recently but as of a month or two ago the margin of error for him to make it was razor thin. I hope they both make it and contribute next season but HCTM better cover their spots anyway.

I would love just a knockdown shooter that we can all get behind.. who is our last one that could take games with his shooting? I'm talking a whole new level from Mcveigh, even though i can like Mcveigh at times.. Paul Velander? Ray Gallegos Junior season? Bo Spencer :lol:???

Tired of hearing the self imposed sanctions thing and people whining about not being able to get 13 scholarship players. A rotation is 8, 9, 10 players at the very most. Say what you want about competition in practice blah blah blah. We want the most firepower we can possibly have within that playing rotation. Miles has made clear his strategy on optimizing potential to add firepower to the rotation. That is to leave a spot open for a mid season transfer because guys in the spring who haven't signed yet are overvalued and recruited by everyone who needs a guy. In other words, they usually aren't as good as advertised and odds of landing them are small. Adding a 13th just to add a 13th does no good. It's not like we are turning 5 star recruits away and saying sorry we have to leave a spot open in case there's a mid season transfer we want. We usually have reeled in the best of the recruits available who want to come here and are scratching and clawing for guy number 12. So it's not like adding a 13th guy who is questionable at this level does us any good.

25 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

Tired of hearing the self imposed sanctions thing and people whining about not being able to get 13 scholarship players. A rotation is 8, 9, 10 players at the very most. Say what you want about competition in practice blah blah blah. We want the most firepower we can possibly have within that playing rotation. Miles has made clear his strategy on optimizing potential to add firepower to the rotation. That is to leave a spot open for a mid season transfer because guys in the spring who haven't signed yet are overvalued and recruited by everyone who needs a guy. In other words, they usually aren't as good as advertised and odds of landing them are small. Adding a 13th just to add a 13th does no good. It's not like we are turning 5 star recruits away and saying sorry we have to leave a spot open in case there's a mid season transfer we want. We usually have reeled in the best of the recruits available who want to come here and are scratching and clawing for guy number 12. So it's not like adding a 13th guy who is questionable at this level does us any good.

Yeah, but you rarely have a season where you need as few as 8, 9 or 10 players. We've seen the need for more depth each of the past 3 seasons. Whether it be injury or a player not living up to his end of the bargain. Downplay the competition factor if you want, but you need it for a number of reasons. Iron sharpens iron. The more of that you can provide, the better. And when you don't have cupboards stocked full of dudes that can fill it up, having someone who can threaten to take playing time is a powerful motivator.

I think we've carried an extra scholarship into the season every year under Miles. Only once have we filled it with a mid-season transfer. I'm excited for his potential, but I'd love it if at least occasionally that scholarship had been filled. Someone like a Tre'Shawn Thurman would have been a perfect use of that open scholie. There are plenty of in-state guys that could have been the 13th guy on the roster. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Edited by uneblinstu

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Yeah, but you rarely have a season where you need as few as 8, 9 or 10 players. We've seen the need for more depth each of the past 3 seasons. Whether it be injury or a player not living up to his end of the bargain. Downplay the competition factor if you want, but you need it for a number of reasons. Iron sharpens iron. The more of that you can provide, the better. And when you don't have cupboards stocked full of dudes that can fill it up, having someone who can threaten to take playing time is a powerful motivator.

I think we've carried an extra scholarship into the season every year under Miles. Only once have we filled it with a mid-season transfer. I'm excited for his potential, but I'd love it if at least occasionally that scholarship had been filled. Someone like a Tre'Shawn Thurman would have been a perfect use of that open scholie. There are plenty of in-state guys that could have been the 13th guy on the roster. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Agreed.   And why are we reserved to the idea that the 13th guy has to be a guy to fill a spot or a stretch.   Why can't he be a talented guy?   AJB is right in that the rotation is usually 8-9, maybe 10 guys.   But personnel never goes as expected here.   1 guy flakes, 1 guy transfers unexpectedly, 1 guy gets hurt...now those 12th and 13th spots become relevant.  No such thing as too much depth