Bizarro Fire Miles Talk (Not BS)

jimmykc

11 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

While I agree with Parrish's premise - who wouldn't agree with it? - he doesn't lay out any criteria upon which a coach should or should not earn "belief" from an AD. So, basically, the piece is meant to say Weber and Groce shouldn't be fired.

Some of these national guys are just coach whisperers. You can gaze at the headlines and subheadlines of recent articles written by Parrish and derive that: 

This should temper wild expectations for NC State: 'I wouldn't touch that job'

Dear haters: You're dead wrong about Gonzaga, whether you realize it or not

A bubble, a double standard, and a Wichita State team on the wrong side of both

Roy Williams has never quite gotten his due, but he's outdoing even himself at UNC

Parrish saves his strongest criticism, each week, for the AP voters he thinks are bad voters. (And he ripped Kim Mulkey, as everyone did.) 

There's no doubt that Gary Parrish is a friend to coaches.

33 minutes ago, HuskerBB said:

Actually I think that is the worst thing we could do.  If you don't give him the extension/renewal now you are really tying his hand with recruiting.    That is what SE will do if he truly wants to get rid of Miles but doesn't think he has the political power to do it right now - keep him but don't extend the contract so that you set him up for failure down the road.   If SE wants to fire Miles he should do it now.  Otherwise you give him the extension and see what happens next year.  You can't fail to renew a coaches contract two years in a row and expect him to succeed long term. 

I want Tim to stay because I think we have made progress during his tenure overall and I don't think this is a good time to start over.  But I would rather see us fire him now than keep him and not renew/extend his contract after this season.

How much more recruiting for 2017 does Tim have left to do?

This has really turned into a tough position.  I can see both sides, we have everybody coming back next year minus Webster plus our two transfers.  But then again I understand the other side of thinking that even with talent you can't see Miles being able to coach them to a good season.

I really wonder how much of Mile's success was due to Craig Smith, Smith was with him at all the successful stops and Mile's only successful year at Nebraska and now has coached South Dakota to one of the best seasons they've had in years.

Regaardless the decision made Eichorst is going to unfairly catch grief either way.  If he fires Miles then he didn't give him a chance to coach the best roster he would have had.  If he keeps him then he's keeping the coach after three failed seasons and it doesn't matter how much talent he had.

in the end, I'll accept either decision made because I can't really fault whichever way they go on this.  I will say this though, if you do fire him then open up the checkbook and make a big boy hire, no more mid major coaches.  Been there, done that.

I think Miles is gone after this season. I don't want it to happen but I don't trust SE and think he makes the move to get his own guy. SE has to know this is the perfect time to get his own guy in here. With the core of our roster being FR. and SO. the next two seasons, hypothetically, are gonna be better. And you can't fire a coach when he's showing improvement  (you can, but you guys know what I mean).

But you can fire a coach who is on his third straight losing season, all three of which have ended with long losing streaks.

Don't want it to happen at all but my guess is SE pulls the trigger.

For those who think Craig Smith would be the man, do you really want someone who would agree to take the job his long time friend and mentor just got pushed out of?? And why would we want to go after a coach who has basically only followed and learned from a coach that we just had fired??

21 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

You're recruiting for 2018 in 2017

If everybody comes back in '17 and '18 (I know, maybe a little optimistic, but bear with me) you're only going to be looking for a few warm bodies to fill in around the core guys there already anyway.

'18 isn't going to be that big of a priority, and if you don't win you aren't coming back so it *really* isn't going to be a priority because that's it.  The new guy is gonna just #BurnItDown anyway, so what does it matter whether you get a juco guy or 4* guy in the '18 class?

If you *do* win next year, guys are going to come for the '19 class which is your next big cycle.  So, IMO, of the things to be worried about with not extending Tim now, recruiting is pretty low on the list.

IMO.

7 hours ago, brfrad said:

I agree Miles should get one more year.  I can understand reasons not to bring him back.  Four out of 5 losing seasons.  We have won 3 of our last 11 this year.  Last year, we won 2 of our last 11.  Two years ago, we won 1 of our last 11, including losing 8 straight.  The offense has struggled throughout his 5 years.  Shooting has been rough for most of his tenure.  Our defense has been getting worse throughout his tenure.  Craig Smith is looking like the straw that stirred the drink.

You think Miles should be back but yet you seemed to list many reason why Miles shouldn't be back next year.

43 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

You think Miles should be back but yet you seemed to list many reason why Miles shouldn't be back next year.

He should be back because I feel this team has talent it hasn't had in quite some time.  I think up until 3 games ago, this team was tough minded.  They would lose a heartbreaker, and the next game, they would comeback and play hard, and take a talented opponent to the last few minutes.  I think his team's seem to have high character kids, who work hard.  We gave Doc and Barry a 6th year, after a lackluster 5 years.  He made the NCAA tournament in his 2nd year.

I could go either way on this. After the past three games, I'm not feeling nearly as favorable toward Miles as I was before, and I guess I place a lot of value on whether or not the team has quit on him. Are we just watching a bunch of tired players who are ready for a failed season to be over with, or are there legitimate problems between Tim and the team that are contributing to what appears to be a lack of motivation? If it's the latter, then he needs to go. If they still believe in their coach, I'd be more willing to give him another year. Eichorst needs to get that figured out and act accordingly.

I will say that I'm more ready for a change right now than I ever have been during Miles' tenure.

3 hours ago, Daledangdarn said:

This has really turned into a tough position.  I can see both sides, we have everybody coming back next year minus Webster plus our two transfers.  But then again I understand the other side of thinking that even with talent you can't see Miles being able to coach them to a good season.

I really wonder how much of Mile's success was due to Craig Smith, Smith was with him at all the successful stops and Mile's only successful year at Nebraska and now has coached South Dakota to one of the best seasons they've had in years.

Regaardless the decision made Eichorst is going to unfairly catch grief either way.  If he fires Miles then he didn't give him a chance to coach the best roster he would have had.  If he keeps him then he's keeping the coach after three failed seasons and it doesn't matter how much talent he had.

in the end, I'll accept either decision made because I can't really fault whichever way they go on this.  I will say this though, if you do fire him then open up the checkbook and make a big boy hire, no more mid major coaches.  Been there, done that.

Craig has used the same plan that Tim used when he first came to NU--relying heavily on transfers. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

What we can't have this offseason is any bad breaks or defections.  We need each player to grow exponentially and let me repeat, no defections or bad breaks.

I hear you, but there's gonna be a transfer. As long as there isn't a second player to leave, we'll be fine. And if one of the coaches gets a chance to be a head coach, I'm not gonna fault them if they take it. And we don't need exponential growth. We need incremetal growth across the board. If a couple of them grow more than that (like Roby or Jordy), that would be ideal.

I'm nervous, and i don't want Tim to be fired, because basically all of our top underclassmen have their redshirt year so the threat of talen exodus is real in my eyes. And I really like miles and I think he is on the verge, and to be honest I'm tired of change, I'm more on the boat on erstad being let go than miles but that's a whole mother conversation...

that being said I wouldn't be surprised at all if we let him go and we start the merry go round again, and I have zero confidence that SE would open up the books and pay for a big time coach, mid major for the 4th time here we come 

4 hours ago, Jugular said:

Craig has used the same plan that Tim used when he first came to NU--relying heavily on transfers. 

You are referring to their recruiting methods, I am referring to their coaching ability and intellect.

Also, just to make it clear I am not endorsing or stating Craig Smith should be Nebraska's new coach.  That would be unwise for Nebraska and Smith.

1 hour ago, Daledangdarn said:

You are referring to their recruiting methods, I am referring to their coaching ability and intellect.

Also, just to make it clear I am not endorsing or stating Craig Smith should be Nebraska's new coach.  That would be unwise for Nebraska and Smith.

For people to infer that the trip to the NCAA's was due to Smith's coaching, I think you have mistaken correlation with causation. 

It seems this discussion will continue to go on until something happens. It is sad in my book that the enthusiasm that was created by the Miles hire has gone mostly away. I can remember going to games in the past when Danny Nee was coach and the Nebraska team I see now isn't even close. The coach gets called out on this board and others after each game for his poor in game player management. I personally don't see a whole lot of difference in Miles or Doc. Both teams play poorly for long stretches and both are sub par at shooting free throws. No amount of talent will fix these things. I liked Doc and I like Tim both are losers. Get a real coach no matter where you have to go. Big money will not necessarily fix this mess. We can go into detail about the Miles era and we can find many good high lights. Maybe we can agree to disagree that he is not the one. A good coach coaches to the strengths of his teams and recruits to the strength of his coaching ability, Tim does neither. I like what the assistants have brought to Nebrasketball and think Craig Smith was a good balancing factor to Miles. I feel he knew the players better. I believe Miles is gone. Then again maybe he will get retained and super things will happen. Thankfully we have a bunch of loyal fans that fill the arena and Lincoln is getting large enough to fill it almost by itself. I believe we can do a lot better. tux

I was squarely in TM's corner two weeks ago. I'm not anymore. 

I'm fairly certain we will finish the season with 12 wins. I didn't expect a good year with the schedule and loss of White, but 12 wins is 100% unacceptable. This is his 5th year and even with all of the issues we have had this season, there is enough talent on this roster to finish with more than 12 wins. 

Yeah, we gave Collier and Doc more time. Expectations have changed though due to facility upgrades and Collier and Doc are not some sort of threshold. I like Miles, but we really don't owe him anything outside of what's left on his contract. 

A lot of people think that our roster will blow up if we make a change. It might. There will probably be players leaving this year anyway even if he is retained though. If we brought him back, Miles would virtually be on the hot seat after every loss. If we had another poor or even average season, he's gone. That sophomore class would be about finished with their junior years and some could grad transfer out. 

If Miles comes back next year, I will support the heck out of him. I'm really thinking we should move on though. We won 12 games in year 5 and consistently play poor basketball. 

46 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Mass transfers even if he stays you think?

A.   I don't think there are mass transfers if we opt to fire and make a good hire to replace him.

B.   I'm not saying that there is a mutiny a foot or that the team as a whole dislikes him, but I don't believe things are as close knit as they seem to want to be portrayed.