Bizarro Fire Miles Talk (Not BS)

jimmykc

I am starting this thread so that people can weigh in without looking at the old thread which has become a bad luck anchor to this site. There are legitimate reasons for letting Tim go and i would encourage those who feel that way to chime in. I would start this thread with the premise that he deserves one more year with the players and assistants he has assembled. With a different schedule and no unexpected departures like AWIII, he just might pull a Pitino Jr. next year with a little luck. I agree that the team looks totally gassed and I do not expect this year to end well.

I agree Miles should get one more year.  I can understand reasons not to bring him back.  Four out of 5 losing seasons.  We have won 3 of our last 11 this year.  Last year, we won 2 of our last 11.  Two years ago, we won 1 of our last 11, including losing 8 straight.  The offense has struggled throughout his 5 years.  Shooting has been rough for most of his tenure.  Our defense has been getting worse throughout his tenure.  Craig Smith is looking like the straw that stirred the drink.

4 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I agree Miles should get one more year.  I can understand reasons not to bring him back.  Four out of 5 losing seasons.  We have won 3 of our last 11 this year.  Last year, we won 2 of our last 11.  Two years ago, we won 1 of our last 11, including losing 8 straight.  The offense has struggled throughout his 5 years.  Shooting has been rough for most of his tenure.  Our defense has been getting worse throughout his tenure.  Craig Smith is looking like the straw that stirred the drink.

So we've improved our record in the last 11 games every year for the last 3 seasons?  Cool.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

I am in your camp Jimmy.  The last three games have been ugly and unacceptable.  But Coach Miles and this group deserves one more year to get this thing right.  But the schedule next year may be difficult as well.  We shall see.

If Miles survives, I would bet the staff will work overtime to lighten the non-conference schedule.  Somehow, someway, next year's team needs to be 9-3 or 10-2 going into the conference season.  If we walk into conference at 6-6 again (regardless of the competition) there will be a lame-duck feel to the season, not unlike Danny and Doc's final year.  Not good.

Edited by HuskerCager

32 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Craig Smith is looking like the straw that stirred the drink.

I know that this is a popular theory that has been out there for some time, but I don't think that's the issue.  Fact of the matter is, we got hot for 8 weeks in February/March 2014.  Smith was around for the prior year and a half that looks much like the the 3 years we have gone thru since. 

7 minutes ago, HuskerCager said:

If Miles survives, I would bet the staff will work overtime to lighten the non-conference schedule.  Somehow, someway, next year's team needs to be 9-3 or 10-2 going into the conference season.  If we walk into conference at 6-6 again (regardless of the competition) there will be a lame-duck feel to the season, not unlike Danny and Doc's final year.  Not good.

It'll be interesting to see what we do....

We know we have:

3 games at the Advocare tourney in Florida

Big 10/ACC game at home

at Creighton

Kansas

There's 6 should be solid games right there.   3-3 vs that stretch is a win.   Go 6-0 against non P5 teams and you are in a good spot heading into conference play

I said three weeks ago that I would be fine either way and I still believe that.  I think the overwhelming reason why people say he should be back is we are young. Well, the teams that we need to be competing with and better than are Minnesota, Northwestern, and Iowa to get into the top half on a regular basis are just as young.  Finish top 7 or 8 in the league  and you are going to be right there for a NCAA bid.

Northwestern returns top 6 scorers and loses two seniors ( Lumpkin is a pretty good role player) and has a 3 star coming in.

Minnesota returns top 5 scorers and loses Springs (24 mpg, 10 ppg) has a 4 star and 3 star coming in.

Iowa returns everybody but Jok (best player) has 2 4 star and 1 3 star coming in.

Penn State returns everybody.

I'm not sure what these teams have in transfers sitting out and there will attrition, but there probably will be for us too.  We are losing our most consistent (and best I think) player in Tai.  So while we are young and should be better next year, so will everybody else, and right now Northwestern and Minnesota are tourney teams this year, Iowa is a NIT in a rebuilding year for them after making 3 straight dances, and right now we are tied with Penn State.  So, I don't think the young excuse should be the only reason to keep him.  There has been a lot of bad luck with this year with injuries and White transferring, but Northwestern and Iowa have dealt with that too.

As mad as I get after losses, I'm still in the keep Miles camp. I don't want to start over. I know this opinion seems like an outlier to the others on this board, but I also think if we went something like 18-14 or 19-13 next year and happened to miss the tourney as a bubble team but finally made the NIT I still wouldn't want Miles fired because that's at least showing progress. If you have a season like that you're definitely a tourney team in 2018-2019. 

I'm in the camp that says....you either close your eyes and give him 5 more years so he can learn how to win in the big ten...or you fire him now....

If next year is make or break it, then I don't think the person making that decision understands that building a winner at a program with a tough history gets it. There will be ups and downs and no guarantees that next year will be an up...couple of injuries and next year could be ugly.

You either see Miles' vision or you don't.

21 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I've heard this one on here before and I'd second that:

"Because here’s the truth: After five years, if you believe your coach is the right person for the job, you should keep him. If not, you shouldn’t. And that decision should have nothing to do with whether he guides a team within a game or two of the right or wrong side of the NCAA Tournament bubble, which is what Groce and Weber will spend the next 10 days doing, one way or another."

1 hour ago, cozrulz said:

Keep him.  Don't renew the contract.  Save some money.  Then you'll either look for a new coach next year or give an extension because of results.

Actually I think that is the worst thing we could do.  If you don't give him the extension/renewal now you are really tying his hand with recruiting.    That is what SE will do if he truly wants to get rid of Miles but doesn't think he has the political power to do it right now - keep him but don't extend the contract so that you set him up for failure down the road.   If SE wants to fire Miles he should do it now.  Otherwise you give him the extension and see what happens next year.  You can't fail to renew a coaches contract two years in a row and expect him to succeed long term. 

I want Tim to stay because I think we have made progress during his tenure overall and I don't think this is a good time to start over.  But I would rather see us fire him now than keep him and not renew/extend his contract after this season.

Edited by HuskerBB

41 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

While I agree with Parrish's premise - who wouldn't agree with it? - he doesn't lay out any criteria upon which a coach should or should not earn "belief" from an AD. So, basically, the piece is meant to say Weber and Groce shouldn't be fired.

Some of these national guys are just coach whisperers. You can gaze at the headlines and subheadlines of recent articles written by Parrish and derive that: 

This should temper wild expectations for NC State: 'I wouldn't touch that job'

Dear haters: You're dead wrong about Gonzaga, whether you realize it or not

A bubble, a double standard, and a Wichita State team on the wrong side of both

Roy Williams has never quite gotten his due, but he's outdoing even himself at UNC

Parrish saves his strongest criticism, each week, for the AP voters he thinks are bad voters. (And he ripped Kim Mulkey, as everyone did.) 

i don't see the rush in firing miles. the current team is about 90% underclassmen and we're adding 3 top 150 guys next year.

i like all the assistants, and i like our roster. attendance is still high.

we just need a strong offseason and add in some new offensive and defensive schemes.

this doesn't seem like the time to blow things up. we're closer than our record would indicate.