Recruiting Misses

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Interesting. I'm guessing the promise went out the window when Jackman got the Duke offer, although it was just on the cusp of Coach K's illustrious career.

Idk - Trotter made it sound like they really wanted to play together but Moe was out and there wasn't anywhere else they all could have gone together. 

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

All I have is Kerry Trotter's word (and I'm sure he would never remember me so this isn't holding up in a court of law), but this is what he told me at one of Tom Brosnihan's practices. He said that he (Marquette), Vic Lazzaretti (Marquette & Loyola Marymount), Dave Hoppen, Bill Jackman, and Ron Kellogg all played on the first Bison team together and agreed to all play together at Creighton and Cedric Hunter promised to follow Kellogg the next year if Creighton had given the head coaching job to Broz. Most of them did not want to play for Moe and they assumed Broz would get the job when Apke moved to Colorado. They weren't happy when Reed got the job which is at least part of the reason Alex Stivrins left as well. Trotter "thought" Alex would have stayed and played for Broz. 

Now I know this is the "wrong" Nebraska team but boy would have that changed the basketball landscape around here. And how did Nebraska have so many D-1 players back then? Five in one year and that would have been 7 all together in four years and I'm sure I'm missing someone just because I always do. 

Omits James Moore and Mike Martz , but it wouldn't have surprised me if they weren't in the club ( I really believe Dana Janssen was better than both of them).  

• 7 years later...
On 3/2/2017 at 10:58 AM, atskooc said:

Lest we forget about our favorite basement, we missed on Mike Gesell.

Looking for Husker games and randomly ran across this

1. Mike's house and likely his basement was full of Nebraska stuff

2. The sportswriters around that time will tell you that Doc wasn't recruiting Gesell hard enough when it would seem he chose Iowa over Nebraska and Stanford because Fran McCaffery was going to play fast.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:20 PM, hhcmatt said:

Looking for Husker games and randomly ran across this

1. Mike's house and likely his basement was full of Nebraska stuff

2. The sportswriters around that time will tell you that Doc wasn't recruiting Gesell hard enough when it would seem he chose Iowa over Nebraska and Stanford because Fran McCaffery was going to play fast.

Doc Sadler not swinging and ultimately missing out on Gessell is a huge problem for dear ol' Nebraska U, as the Huskers needed to prioritize local talent who could take it to the top. Hopefully Freddy & Co. are not repeating the sins of the past. . .