WBB: 2017 B1G Women's Basketball Tournament vs Illinois

Row6Seat10

Huskers fight to the end, but come up empty in eight successive possessions, can't get points when they needed them; lose 79-70. :O O:

(I didn't see them wearing their winning Shoes :(:(; maybe might have clashed with their Red Uniforms! :Redface:)

Edited by Red Don

Great game by our two freshmen Hannah and Nicea. Absolutely no reason we should be on our way back home tonight.

It's hard win with the lack of hustle, costly turnovers and quite possibility the worst 3 point shot defense we've had in the past twenty years! I can't remember one of Illinois' 3 point shots that was contested by a Husker, just unbelievable. I thought for sure we'd come away with a win, we had the offensive output we needed to get the win,  but then I was expecting a lot more out of our defense, more like what we seen last Sunday against Michigan St.   

11 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Great game by our two freshmen Hannah and Nicea. Absolutely no reason we should be on our way back home tonight.

It's hard win with the lack of hustle, costly turnovers and quite possibility the worst 3 point shot defense we've had in the past twenty years! I can't remember one of Illinois' 3 point shots that was contested by a Husker, just unbelievable. I thought for sure we'd come away with a win, we had the offensive output we needed to get the win,  but then I was expecting a lot more out of our defense, more like what we seen last Sunday against Michigan St.   

Seems to be a theme of our "defense" this year.

I'm a defense guy......so this may be one the most disappointing things of the year.  Even if you can't dribble behind your back, or shoot for 75%...... anyone can play defense if taught how to play.  It ain't rocket science. Just want to do it and hustle....and coaching.

Edited by redsteve

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of hustle or want to but more one of a lack of experience and a lack of speed which is a deadly combination  on defending the outside shooting.

The turnovers are another story with a big percentage of them coming from our posts.  Many times they try to do too much and force something instead of kicking it back to our guards where we have 2 freshmen that were shooting pretty well by the years end.

Edited by HUD
grammar

52 minutes ago, HUD said:

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of hustle or want to but more one of a lack experience and a lack of speed which is a deadly combination  on defending the outside shooting.

The turnovers are another story with a big percentage of them coming from our posts.  Many times they try to do too much and force something instead of kicking it back to our guards where we have 2 freshmen that were shooting pretty well by the years end.

The team needs a couple of kids that have T like quickness.

1 hour ago, Row6Seat10 said:

I saw Emily Wood rush over to an Illinois player ready to shoot a 3 and shut that sh*t down.  Shortest player on the court did that.

2 hours ago, redsteve said:

Seems to be a theme of our "defense" this year.

I'm a defense guy......so this may be the most disappointing things of the year.  Even if you dribble behind your back, or shoot for 75%...... anyone can play defense if taught how to play.  It ain't rocket science. Just want to do it and hustle....and coaching.

I'm all about the defense too, I find myself more intently watching that than I do the offense during games. If you can play a good solid defense you can win a lot of games. The coaches had to play a lot of zone this year because we had to many players who couldn't stop the dribble drive, especially when they're were in the man to man. That's coincides with why we had too many players giving up open 3 point shots. They didn't want to get beat off the dribble so they guarded their opponent five feet off them so they might have a chance at stopping that drive, that and our help defense has been missing in a lot of games. 

I think it should be one of the big emphasis that the coaches need to address with all returning players all through-out this coming off season.

would have liked to see hannah get to the line more. actually, i thought that quite often, especially when we started to see hannah start to come into her own. against illinois, it was a little difficult because they clogged the lane pretty well, but, there were a handful of opportunities there for her to maybe draw some fouls going to the hoop. anyway, it has been great to watch hannah blossom as she adjusted to the college game. future looks bright for her.

i think the team "foot speed" was a sore spot that was pretty obvious all season. i am sure something coach williams will try to address during the off season and going forward. there were teams (players) that were able to exploit that area.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Huskers End Season at Big Ten Tournament

HLWIKWRFVALYKAY.20161118031729.JPG

Nicea Eliely hit a career-high four three-pointers on her way to 14 second-half points against Illinois

Indianapolis – Jessica Shepard and Hannah Whitish each scored 16 points to lead five Huskers in double figures, but the Nebraska women’s basketball team had its season end with a 79-70 loss to Illinois in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament.....

in a game of drastic scoring swings, the 12th-seeded Illini closed the game on a 10-2 surge to secure the win and advance to Thursday’s second round to face No. 5 seed Purdue.

I'm not so sure winning the chance to Play Purdue is a Prize anyone should really wish to win!  ;)

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=29&SPID=25&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211511393&DB_OEM_ID=100

Edited by Red Don