WBB: Game #28 vs Michigan State

Row6Seat10

Just a shout out to the ladies for continuing to play hard after falling behind in the 1st Q and getting it done on Senior Day!  A little too close for comfort in the last seconds there.  You hit your free throws and you don't have to be concerned about losing on a 2/3 of the court shot.  But overall proud of the effort and most of the execution.

Fans give yourself a pat on the back!!

MSU head coach Suzy Merchant said she was disappointed that her veteran players on the team didn't response and step up to the tough environment you get when playing at places like PBA. Thought NU played with a lot more effort and energy than her Spartans. 

10 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I wonder why coach didn't switch jas and Maddie in guarding jankoska, when Nicea was Guarding jankoska she had 7 pts.. so when has had the duty jankoska had 22. With added length I think it would have cut her pts down but maybe not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

To guard a scorer like Jankoska you have to real quick reactions, speed, and be in her face all the time. Nicea had Jankoska really frustrated, and she went after Nicea a few times. Nicea is the best defender on the team ...period. I still maintain she was the difference maker yesterday....no points or not.

No one else can defend like Nicea...no one.  Easily seen in the 7 pt VS 22 points difference. We need a couple more like her. Maybe the two red shirt guards are good defenders...we'll see.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

To guard a scorer like Jankoska you have to real quick reactions, speed, and be in her face all the time. Nicea had Jankoska really frustrated, and she went after Nicea a few times. Nicea is the best defender on the team ...period. I still maintain she was the difference maker yesterday....no points or not.

No one else can defend like Nicea...no one.  Easily seen in the 7 pt VS 22 points difference. We need a couple more. Maybe the two red shirt guards are good defenders...we'll see.

if you look at the two bios, it appears both can score, but, Morton did win accolades as a defensive player earning a spot on the first Mac All Defensive Team. Her 223 steals earned her a spot in the top ten all time for Eastern Michigan. anyway, appears Morton may be a little more defensive minded while Stallworth may be more offense minded.

47 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So your saying Maddie couldn't guard her? Neither could jas. I was thinking about the length that Maddie has, over jas.

Just my opinion of course, but I guess the difference in points because of who was defending Jankoska..... is self evident. Takes tremendous focus, and preparation. let alone physical skills. Maybe Nicea knew she was going to be asked to be the stopper, and was pumped up and ready to do battle.

Just my opinion of course, but I guess the difference in points because of who was defending Jankoska..... is self evident. Takes tremendous focus, and preparation. let alone physical skills. Maybe Nicea knew she was going to be asked to be the stopper, and was pumped up and ready to do battle.

That is true what you are saying about the assignment, but I just think the length bothered jankoska and maybe Maddie might have been a better fit but I get paid to watch from my chair.

Just now, Bugeaters1 said:

That is true what you are saying about the assignment, but I just think the length bothered jankoska and maybe Maddie might have been a better fit but I get paid to watch from my chair.

We probably get paid about the same. But I'm watching my computer screen, so that probably means I get paid at bigger discount. To whom do I complain??....Row I need more money !!

Great game, and such a great win for the girls!! I know I'm late, but I always follow the comments. All the different input is great; no matter if it's positive or critical of the girls...Nicea had zero's in the last 2 games. She cut her hand in practice before the Michigan game and had to get 6 stitches. So she's been playing with her 2 fingers taped together - which obviously she hasn't figured out how to make a shot with lol (no excuses!). But after that Michigan debacle she said she wanted to show that she can still put her stamp on the game by playing tough defense...anyhoo proud of the girls bc even if we lose all I wanted to see was effort. I'm glad they're finally showing they want to win! Illinois is definitely beatable!!

1 hour ago, Actualfacts1 said:

Great game, and such a great win for the girls!! I know I'm late, but I always follow the comments. All the different input is great; no matter if it's positive or critical of the girls...Nicea had zero's in the last 2 games. She cut her hand in practice before the Michigan game and had to get 6 stitches. So she's been playing with her 2 fingers taped together - which obviously she hasn't figured out how to make a shot with lol (no excuses!). But after that Michigan debacle she said she wanted to show that she can still put her stamp on the game by playing tough defense...anyhoo proud of the girls bc even if we lose all I wanted to see was effort. I'm glad they're finally showing they want to win! Illinois is definitely beatable!!

I seen she had two fingers taped together, But I just figured that she had jammed one of them.

1 hour ago, Actualfacts1 said:

I have to ask you, did Nicea forget to look at the players bellybutton when she is D up on a girl? Jankoska gave her the ole head & shoulders a couple of times to get loose. You may have to remind of that.:D

Lol. Just bad freshman habits that I hope she grows out of. She has a habit of wanting to block everyone's shot bc in high school she spiked 5 shots a game. Definitely a different caliber of girls in the B1G lol. She's gotta learn to stay on the floor and just get her hands up. Sometimes a contested shot is just as good as a block..but I'll definitely remind her of that, Tony! ??

12 hours ago, Actualfacts1 said:

Lol. Just bad freshman habits that I hope she grows out of. She has a habit of wanting to block everyone's shot bc in high school she spiked 5 shots a game. Definitely a different caliber of girls in the B1G lol. She's gotta learn to stay on the floor and just get her hands up. Sometimes a contested shot is just as good as a block..but I'll definitely remind her of that, Tony! ??

Hey Actual....Nicea is off to a tremendous freshman start. She's doing way better than most freshman ever do, and all the fans have taken notice. Will she be even better next year? Sure....she's been kind of lucky in a way...because she has played so much this year. Got a first hand taste of the B!G. Nicea sure seems to a real nice kid, and works very hard to be the best. We're very thankful she's on the Husker roster. AWESOME!

Edited by redsteve

On 2/27/2017 at 10:24 AM, Bugeaters1 said:

I wonder why coach didn't switch jas and Maddie in guarding jankoska, when Nicea was Guarding jankoska she had 7 pts.. so when has had the duty jankoska had 22. With added length I think it would have cut her pts down but maybe not.

Maddie's little jump hook was a thing of beauty.  Perfectly executed, and they were surprised with the play. Nice job!  Under Coach Amy....Maddie's really beginning to gel, find her roll, and improve her skills. She simply athletic anyway. I expect to see a lot more from her next year...a lot more.

Edited by redsteve

6 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Maddie's little jump hook was a thing of beauty.  Perfectly executed, and they were surprised with the play. Nice job!  Under Coach Amy....Maddie's really beginning to gel, find her roll, and simply improve her skills. I expect to see a lot more from her next year...a lot more.

yes it was! no doubt, the potential is there to make a huge jump (no pun intended :))

Hey Actual....Nicea is off to a tremendous freshman start. She's doing way better than most freshman ever do, and all the fans have taken notice. Will she be even better next year? Sure....she's been kind of lucky in a way...because she has played so much this year. Got a first hand taste of the B!G. Nicea sure seems to a real nice kid, and works very hard to be the best. We're very thankful she's on the Husker roster. AWESOME!

I was giving Actual grief about not noticing things that Nicea does/doesn't do. Nicea is freshman that come in and make a difference on her team, not many freshman do that.

I hope the coaches and team read the following quote. I think it's was the whole league's presumed attitude about Nebraska this season.

Merchant is confident about her team’s body of work with the tough schedule they played during the regular season. She would feel even better if Sunday’s outcome against Nebraska was different, but said all her team can do is get back to work and keep moving forward.

And the Big Ten tournament provides that opportunity to make one final impression.

“We were the third team I think in our league behind Maryland and Ohio State RPI-wise, so we had played a confident and tough schedule,” Merchant said. “I felt good about it, but now when you lose a game like that against "Nebraska", you do have some work to make up. I don’t think we’re in a do or die (situation), but I think we have to go in there with a purpose for sure.”

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/womens-basketball/2017/03/02/reimer-msu-women-looking-extended-stay-indy/98555496/

26 minutes ago, Row6Seat10 said:

I hope the coaches and team read the following quote. I think it's was the whole league's presumed attitude about Nebraska this season.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/womens-basketball/2017/03/02/reimer-msu-women-looking-extended-stay-indy/98555496/

Hope we kick their butt's next year. :angry:

2 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Not surprised at the comment.  That is generally the attitude towards bottom-dwellers, regardless of any other circumstances.