Kayla Mershon

Bugeaters1

53 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

so, how many stars?, who else recruited her?  is she athletic enough to keep up with the jets Maryland and Ohio State put on the floor? 

This site has her at 6'1" but she is a least 6'3" and maybe slightly taller than that.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/203535

49 minutes ago, HUD said:

I've watched a couple of her games and she does seem taller then 6'1".  Things I noticed is that she has excellent length and can really jump.  She is a very good and unselfish passer and can handle the ball well.  Excellent free throw shooter and seems in good condition to run the floor.

Like this girl....has excellent tools to develope.

Prospect Nation has Kayla Mershon at #86 in USA and a 4*.

https://prospectsnation.com/player/kayla-mershon

https://prospectsnation.com/players/all/2018

Most everything I've seen show's her at least 6-3.....nice height for the Huskers forwards lineup. Along with the other 2018 6-2 recruit,  Ashtyn Veerbeek. (3 1/2 star) There's lots of 6' plus girls in B1G...so have to pick up some size ASAP.  We lose Allie this year and Jess will be a Jr next season. :o

It looks like Coach Amy is looking for some size to go with all the guards we already have on roster. Kayla looks to need to add some strength, but she's young, has time to grow, and will have NU's strength training program to look forward to in the next few years.

Great recruit....nice job Coach !!!

Edited by redsteve

28 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Like this girl....has excellent tools to develope.

Prospect Nation has Kayla Mershon at #86 in USA and a 4*.

https://prospectsnation.com/player/kayla-mershon

https://prospectsnation.com/players/all/2018

Most everything I've seen show's her at least 6-3.....nice height for the Huskers forwards lineup. Along with the other 2018 6-2 recruit,  Ashtyn Veerbeek. (3 1/2 star) There's lots of 6' plus girls in B1G...so have to pick up some size ASAP.  We lose Allie this year and Jess will be a Jr next season. :o

It looks like Coach Amy is looking for some size to go with all the guards we already have on roster. She looks to need to add some strength, but she's young, has time to grow, and will have NU's strength training program to look forward to in the next few years.

Great recruit....nice job Coach !!!

Need forwards that can shoot from behind the arc, which we don't have .

9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

It will be interesting to see if Grace Mitchell stays at the forward position.  She has the desire and work ethic to improve into a valuable reserve.  She has the ability to hit threes from her position but needs to feel comfortable in the offense to do so.  Hopefully we can see some of that next year.

8 hours ago, HUD said:

It will be interesting to see if Grace Mitchell stays at the forward position.  She has the desire and work ethic to improve into a valuable reserve.  She has the ability to hit threes from her position but needs to feel comfortable in the offense to do so.  Hopefully we can see some of that next year.

Her issue on moving to the wing will be defense.  Right now really struggles to guard the ball.  

8 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

We got one coming in Kissinger, Bugeater.  I've watched her many times.  Of course, a higher level of play can make a difference, but, she can flat out light it up.

Can't wait to see her and Nicea together.  It's gonna be a fun number of years coming up!

Edited by Jurgey

after watching her videos, wouldn't surprise me to see Mershon move up the ladder in prospect nation rankings. 70's? maybe reach the 60's? like redsteve stated, nice tools to work with and if she puts in a good summer, ya never know.

maybe fans should give a big shoutout to her uncle who lives near lincoln!!!  ?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/huskers-get-surprise-commit-from-top--recruit/article_bcd1e56b-1f02-5b56-bc2a-f4774f41e963.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Her decision came down to between Nebraska & Iowa. Indiana was also recruiting her so she took her official visit here for the Indiana game since Iowa didn't play in Lincoln this season. She comes from a Minnesota powerhouse team, in Minnetonka High School,  She was a high school teammate of Wisconsin's freshman starter, Courtney Fredrickson, who by the way torched us in Wisconsin a week or so ago with 15 points and ten rebounds. Only rated as a 3 star but has potential to develop as she grows into the NU system. Should get ample playing time as a freshman here though. Hence one of the reasons to choose the Huskers over Iowa. 

I think she's been a Nebraska lean since she was down last fall for the Minnesota football game and witnessed the atmosphere surrounding it. The atmosphere at the Indiana game last Sunday at PBA helped trigger her to tell the coaches. Her older sister plays volleyball for St. Louis University. Has a younger sister to I believe still in jr high.  

11 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I believe Nicea was recruited as a wing but due to our lack of guards had to play more as a 2 guard with Hannah at point.  Next year with Bria Stallworth at the point and Hannah moving to the shooting 2 guard, Nicea will be able to play some at the wing(small forward).  With her defense, outside shooting, ability to drive to the hoop and rebounding it seems a natural fit to me.  That will give us time to work Taylor into that position as well.

Watching her highlight video reminds me of when Nicea was that age. Still really raw and unpolished. I thought it was amazing when Nicea could touch the rim. Her teammates were always telling her to dunk it lol.. Hope Kayla keeps improving; and always looking forward to any girl who can make us better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

after watching her videos, wouldn't surprise me to see Mershon move up the ladder in prospect nation rankings. 70's? maybe reach the 60's? like redsteve stated, nice tools to work with and if she puts in a good summer, ya never know.

maybe fans should give a big shoutout to her uncle who lives near lincoln!!!  

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/huskers-get-surprise-commit-from-top--recruit/article_bcd1e56b-1f02-5b56-bc2a-f4774f41e963.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I was told that her rating would low bec a use she hasn't played in any big aau tournaments. So she is flying under the radar so to speak. It may have been a good find by the coaches

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I was told that her rating would low bec a use she hasn't played in any big aau tournaments. So she is flying under the radar so to speak. It may have been a good find by the coaches

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Got to disagree with whoever told you that. She's played seven years now for the North Tartan Titans AAU team. Not everyone can send their kids there. To be on this team, it's an invite only and the only Nike club team in Minnesota. The exposure this team gets annually is phenomenal, they go all over the nation playing in big AAU tournaments attended by hundreds of college coaches. They also host a big Nike tournament in Minnesota every summer where something like 300 college coaches attend. Just this last year they went to Europe and played teams in France and the Netherlands. The Gophers usually get first pick as many of the team players have aspirations of playing for Minny.  The Gophers like to load up on North Tartan kids last season 4 of the 5 starters had played for North Tartan including Rachel Banham and Shane Mullaney.