2018 recruiting

TourneyBound

What a game for these guys to come to.  The crowd must be about ready to come onto the field and start smacking some players around to wake them up.  Or they might get to see how the basketball fans leave early when the game is over before it is over.

How do we sell them on how cool this place is with this kind of day going on.  Man what a day to lay an egg.:(

7 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

What a game for these guys to come to.  The crowd must be about ready to come onto the field and start smacking some players around to wake them up.  Or they might get to see how the basketball fans leave early when the game is over before it is over.

How do we sell them on how cool this place is with this kind of day going on.  Man what a day to lay an egg.:(

the good thing is we aren't recruiting them to play football.

you sell them with the big 10 conference and top facilities.

and tell them they can learn as freshman behind glynn/copeland then start as sophomores.

13 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

the good thing is we aren't recruiting them to play football.

you sell them with the big 10 conference and top facilities.

and tell them they can learn as freshman behind glynn/copeland then start as sophomores.

Right, basketball is all that matters. Football just gives a recruit a chance to get his photo taken at the game and post it on Instagram. Ed Chang has a bunch of them. 

It also shows that Lincoln isn't a backwater town if the recruit is from a big city. Hey, football, girls, parrrrrrrrrties!

But we also use it to our advantage when we bring those guys here and they see what the circus is like when it is in town.

Yesterday's circus was not the normal Ringing Brothers top level.

I know it may not make that big of a deal but it does show like you said that we aren't just some little nothing place. 

But with the way that staduim emptied out and how the fans reacted last night might not have been too good either.

Edited by Silverbacked1

5 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

But with the way that staduim emptied out and how the fans reacted last night might not have been too good either.

I doubt these guys stay for a full game nor really care who wins...overall it's 90k+ at the stadium plus all the bustle that goes along with it. It just reallllllllly sucks if you're a Husker fan.

In my opinion the stadium really didn't empty out. At least not very noticeably. I was also actually surprised at how many people (especially students) there were. I don't think it was much different than any other game vs a bad non-con opponent even though we are having a bad year and obviously lost.

I understand it's early, but are we striking out too much with our top prospects this year. The guys we spent a lot of time with this summer are opting for more consistent programs. Is Miles future really hurting us on the recruiting trail. We didn't get an underclassman transfer this year. I think it's fixable but we need a quality season

1 hour ago, rwhiston said:

I understand it's early, but are we striking out too much with our top prospects this year. The guys we spent a lot of time with this summer are opting for more consistent programs. Is Miles future really hurting us on the recruiting trail. We didn't get an underclassman transfer this year. I think it's fixable but we need a quality season

I agree, Miles' status is an issue, and to be honest, Eichorst's status is in play now as well. But keep in mind we still pulled in Thomas Allen, despite the uncertainty surrounding the program. 

1 hour ago, rwhiston said:

Well, if you think about it like this:

- If we win we will land some guys

- If we lose and Miles gets fired the guys signed now have a high likelihood of asking out of their LOI

Then it's no biggie

Part of being around here so long is mastering the art of rationalizing our problems ;)

2 hours ago, rwhiston said:

It is frustrating, agreed! But on the flip side, we have recruited quite well for a team who has been under .500 four out of the last five years with one NCAA bid. This year is critical, and I think we have the ponies to make a run. That would help recruiting even more.

41 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

It is frustrating, agreed! But on the flip side, we have recruited quite well for a team who has been under .500 four out of the last five years with one NCAA bid. This year is critical, and I think we have the ponies to make a run. That would help recruiting even more.

At this rate we are going to have to have a couple kids blow up this season that decide they want to come to Lincoln.

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

Guard (Combo, shooting) and PF (Stretch 4) sound about right for filling up the class?

I think a stretch 4 for sure.  I am a little concerned if we miss out on Nate Roberts because he is just what we need.  I haven't heard of any other 4s we are in on now.  IF...If Copeland would have a good year and decide to turn pro, we need to replace him or get a back up for Roby.

Two points:

1.  Nate Roberts.  The absence of a quick commit from Roberts to Syracuse seems to be a good sign, as does the fact that Syracuse is actively recruiting a five-star power forward (6'10") for 2019, and as does the fact that we don't have any other official visits scheduled this fall (that I know of).  But that's all probably nothing more than "hope" looking for shreds of support from available circumstances.

2.  Last Scholarship.  In light of all the developments today on the criminal-recruiting front, this might be a good year to hold back a scholarship for turn-of-semester developments.   There might be a bunch of high-quality players out there looking for new homes.  

Edited by Swan88

Next up (fingers crossed) Nate Roberts.

If we strike out on him, i dont not see us adding another HS recruit. Unless one of the handful of Nebraska kids in prep schools catches our eye.

Plus this could be a good period for mid year, redshirt, and grad transfers. So having a couple schollies available wouldnt hurt.