2018 recruiting

TourneyBound

45 minutes ago, colhusker said:

As was pointed out elsewhere, if Tanner keeps getting minutes like he has and keeps contributing you almost have to assume that ship is his until he is gone.

We just have to mentally assume as a staff that he isn't getting a scholarship so that he gets the scholarship we never use so we end up at 13 scholarships

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Is there any recruiting buzz at all right now?  Are there any players that we seem tied to, or that we have at least a 50/50 shot at getting (in addition to the two in hand)?

Florent Thamba is the only known 2018 pending offer ATM. With Borchardt grabbing a schollie we minimally have 1 available schollie for next year ATM.

I'm not sure how much of the thought that there is a pending NCAA shitstorm that will put some guys back onto the market is a thing.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

Coach Hunter mentioned on Sports Nightly last night they're most actively recruiting the 2019 and 2020 classes at the moment.

Must have a decent feeling about attrition then I would assume. Way too early to start talking about that stuff, but the couple of players that arent getting alot of time, have a whole lot of minutes opening up for em to grab next season.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:42 AM, hhcdimes said:

Florent Thamba is the only known 2018 pending offer ATM. With Borchardt grabbing a schollie we minimally have 1 available schollie for next year ATM.

I'm not sure how much of the thought that there is a pending NCAA shitstorm that will put some guys back onto the market is a thing.

Is Borchardt's scholarship permanent?  I assumed that it was a semester-by-semester thing.  Kinda figured that tossing Tanner the scholarship for second semester was the backup plan to landing a mid-season transfer.

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Is Borchardt's scholarship permanent?  I assumed that it was a semester-by-semester thing.  Kinda figured that tossing Tanner the scholarship for second semester was the backup plan to landing a mid-season transfer.

I really don't know which is why i added minimally. I suspect that it's just for this semester ATM but if TB is playing 10-15 mpg the rest of conference doesn't he deserve one?

3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I really don't know which is why i added minimally. I suspect that it's just for this semester ATM but if TB is playing 10-15 mpg the rest of conference doesn't he deserve one?

Well yeah, if he ends up consistently getting double digit minutes then he should be on scholarship.  I just inferred from your wording that Tanner's scholarship was already permanent, which was news to me.  Obviously he has an opportunity to earn a permanent schollie based on how he plays.

• 2 weeks later...

So we lose Anton, Taylor, and Duby and are bringing in Xavier Johnson and Brady Hieman.

As of right now I am going to say that Tanner keeps his scholarship. So that leaves us with 1 scholarship available. Typically teams lose 2 players to attrition per offseason. So lets say we have 3 spots to fill. Without taking stabs at which players are transferring (way too soon for that), how would you want us to fill our imaginary 2-3 spots. Feel free to include position, type of player (FR, RS transfer, JUCO, Grad transfer), certain tendencies or skills you are looking for, etc.

Ready, set, go.

My friend and I have been discussing next year's depth chart to figure out what we need in terms of recruiting.

Guards:

Glynn Watson

Thomas Allen

Xavier Johnson

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Wing:

James Palmer

Jack McVeigh

Nana Akenten

Forward:

Isaac Copeland

Isaiah Roby

Center:
Jordy Tshimanga

Tanner Borchardt

Brady Heiman

I honestly believe that Thor could play 5 minutes a half at guard, if need be. Hopefully Nana can improve in the offseason and crack the rotation. As discussed previously, Heiman would greatly benefit from a redshirt season.

We may be in a position to just sign the best player we can, regardless of position. However, given our track record with bigs, I would prefer to sign a player that can play F/C. If an additional scholarship opens up, then we sign a guard. I have no preference whether the player(s) is a signed out of high school, JUCO, or is a graduate transfer, I just want them to be able to play right away.

Edited by dustystehl

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

My friend and I have been discussing next year's depth chart to figure out what we need in terms of recruiting.

Guards:

Glynn Watson

Thomas Allen

Xavier Johnson

Thorir Thorbjarnarson

Wing:

James Palmer

Jack McVeigh

Nana Akenten

Forward:

Isaac Copeland

Isaiah Roby

Center:
Jordy Tshimanga

Tanner Borchardt

Brady Heiman

I honestly believe that Thor could play 5 minutes a half at guard, if need be. Hopefully Nana can improve in the offseason and crack the rotation. As discussed previously, Heiman would greatly benefit from a redshirt season.

We may be in a position to just sign the best player we can, regardless of position. However, given our track record with bigs, I would prefer to sign a player that can play F/C. If an additional scholarship opens up, then we sign a guard. I have no preference whether the player(s) is a signed out of high school, JUCO, or is a graduate transfer, I just want them to be able to play right away.

Brady Heiman HAS to redshirt and when he plays he won't be a traditional center.

Say Brady skips track and doesnt high jump this spring. Instead he just focuses on bball and adding strength and weight. So from late february until he joins the team in the middle of summer hes all about transforming his body. Throw in a couple months of a collegiate strength program and a couple more months of preseason bball before the 2018-19 season starts. Is it realistic for him to be at 225-230 by then?? At 6'10 and 225-230 he could definetly play the 4, which is where Miles plans to use him.

That being said he should RS bc we have Roby, Copeland, Jordy, Jack, and Tanner all returning at the moment. Plus not to mention what an entire year of strength and conditioning could do for his body.

Edited by khoock

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see a true PF (6'7" to 6'8" range), beefy but fairly athletic.  Need help on the boards and guarding the other big guys around the league.  Love Copeland and Roby, but without embracing the rebounding mentality, and it is a mentality more than anything, they are not thick enough to consistently avoid being shoved around underneath.

3 hours ago, NUtball said:

I'd like to see a true PF (6'7" to 6'8" range), beefy but fairly athletic.  Need help on the boards and guarding the other big guys around the league.  Love Copeland and Roby, but without embracing the rebounding mentality, and it is a mentality more than anything, they are not thick enough to consistently avoid being shoved around underneath.

OK, I apologize for this, but a recent transfer popped into my head when I read this. So I looked to see if anything was up with him at Marquette and found this story from last week. 

Feel free to ignore, this is for anyone else who had the same thought:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2018/01/20/morrow-waits-chance-contribute-marquette-after-transferring-nebraska/1041404001/

19 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

OK, I apologize for this, but a recent transfer popped into my head when I read this. So I looked to see if anything was up with him at Marquette and found this story from last week. 

Feel free to ignore, this is for anyone else who had the same thought:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2018/01/20/morrow-waits-chance-contribute-marquette-after-transferring-nebraska/1041404001/

Morrow was the first thing that came to my mind as well when reading NUtball's post.