2018 recruiting

TourneyBound

• 4 months later...

Boy things sure are quiet regarding the 2018 class.....  how many scholarships will be available?  it's looking like we are going to save 2 already from this year.   I see the sweater vests down the road have picked up a couple recruits for 2018 already!  Any idea on when some of our offers are going to decide?

5 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

Boy things sure are quiet regarding the 2018 class.....  how many scholarships will be available?  it's looking like we are going to save 2 already from this year.   I see the sweater vests down the road have picked up a couple recruits for 2018 already!  Any idea on when some of our offers are going to decide?

We've got time. Creighton has to fill something like 5 spots for the 2018 class so they've been pushing early. I'm not worried about our potential class, even tho yes it'd be nice if Embry came out and just chose us to create more positive momentum as it seems it's kind of stalling now in the dead of the offseason 

8 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

We've got time. Creighton has to fill something like 5 spots for the 2018 class so they've been pushing early. I'm not worried about our potential class, even tho yes it'd be nice if Embry came out and just chose us to create more positive momentum as it seems it's kind of stalling now in the dead of the offseason 

Creighton already has 2 commits for the 2018 class and both are solid players.  They also have three 4 star players signed for their 2017 class.  So it's OK to be a little worried as we have like 5 spots as well for our 2018 class and no commits yet.

7 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

We also have to fill 5 spots.  That doesn't include any future transfers that are likely to occur.  We've got time, but I'm also a tad worried that the past three years and Miles murky future is going to make it tough sledding on the recruiting trail.   

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/nebraska

5 scholarships, currently 14 known offers.

I'd question how valid/relevant some of those offers are currently as some of them are fairly old and things change.  For instance, I'm not sure how much we're pursuing Kezo Brown who we offered in 2014.

I look at our glut of scholarship slots like this

- Miles wins and that lands us some big names

- Miles loses and is replaced. This gives the new coach room to put together his type of team.

Also, Miles has been a lot better at recruiting than winning so I don't think landing guys will be a problem.

15 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I'm not paying attention to those other guys; I don't care about them.  I don't really care to know how many they've signed or who.

We've had a small amount of really good recruiting news after the dismal season we had this past year.  But I think it'll take some success on the floor to sustain recruiting momentum.

Miles needs to win this year not just to keep his job in the short term but also to build up some recruiting momentum so that he can bring in enough good players to hold on to his job in the longer term.

My guess is he gets it done and this is our year.

Edited by Norm Peterson

23 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Creighton already has 2 commits for the 2018 class and both are solid players.  They also have three 4 star players signed for their 2017 class.  So it's OK to be a little worried as we have like 5 spots as well for our 2018 class and no commits yet.

The signed 2017 class of the other B1G teams is much more concerning to me than the committed 2018 class for that team in Omaha.  A win against the bluejays is nice, but success in conference play gets us dancing.

I have zero worries about TM's recruiting capabilities at this point.  He's incredible in that realm.  I trust his process there 100%.

He needs to find it in his basketball philosophy and in-game coaching.  I'm optimistic though.  I think, in order for him to have a working system, he has to have several players capable of making threes.  His dribble-drive motion only works if the court is legitimately spread out, and I think it will be this year.  

If you think about the tournament squad, they obviously got hot, but you had 3-4 players in the lineup that were legitimate threats beyond the arc.  We haven't had a Gallegos since Gallegos--a quick guard who runs around and spots up--super annoying to guard for opposing teams.  With Allen, now he OR Watson can be that guy.  Throw in Nana (a great shooter), Jack (a good shooter), Copeland (a good shooter), and Palmer/Taylor/Gill (capable shooters).  Should be interesting, to say the least.  

Ideally how would you guys break down a basketball roster of 13 scholarships?

Obviously it will depend on the offense. But my crack at is the following

-six gaurds: 2 points, 2 shooters, 1 combo gaurd and then 1 more of the other three for depth purposes.

-seven forwards/centers: 2 big centers, 2 PF, a guy that can play both the 4/5, and 2 wings

This is what our roster look like after graduation this upcoming season.

GAURDS

-PG: Watson and Allen

-SG: Palmer and Nana

F/C

-C: Jordy

-PF: Copeland and Roby

-Wing: Jack McVeigh

To me i'd like to see another true center, a swing F/C that can play both (similiar to Jacobson), another wing, another SG, and preferably another combo G (similiar to ET who can play point if needed but is big enough to play the two without sacrificing size).

Now my breakdown isnt a perfect science bc you could count Nana/Palmer as a wing, Allen as one of your knock down shooters, and we've heard Copeland and Roby can both play on the wing. But those are my thoughts and how the 5 schollies should be filled. Who fills them i have no clue.

Edited by khoock

-Id like Embery and Hunter for gaurds this class

-We need another F with Jack, Copeland, and Roby all being upperclassmen by the time this class arrives. Wouldnt mind seeing how Wingett does in prep school. Plus with the aforementioned depth, he could RS.

-Brady Heiman. Give him a yr to RS.

-Some JUCO/Grad Transfer C to back up Jordy

So rn it looks like our best bet for our 5 scholarships (with a balance of realism and optimism) are:

-Embery and Hunter for gaurds

- I think we take Heiman

-An Agau or Wingett prospect (depending on how he does at prep school) interests me.

I know we have more offers out but im not sure what lvl of interest those kids hold. Plus theres still the JUCO, grad transfer, and redshirt transfer route

1 hour ago, khoock said:

So rn it looks like our best bet for our 5 scholarships (with a balance of realism and optimism) are:

-Embery and Hunter for gaurds

- I think we take Heiman

-An Agau or Wingett prospect (depending on how he does at prep school) interests me.

I know we have more offers out but im not sure what lvl of interest those kids hold. Plus theres still the JUCO, grad transfer, and redshirt transfer route

You're assuming that Miles will fill all of the ships, something he rarely has done.