Taylor

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

Bench:

Allen

Palmer

Jack 

I guess that's my guess.   It would mean that Roby and Copeland get huge minutes and swing the 3-4-5 and would fill for Jordy rather than bring in Okeke or Tanner.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that we didn't have any transfers off of last year's team.  Let's also assume there still would have been room for Thomas Allen in the recruiting class.  And let's further assume we really do cut to an 8-man rotation.

Of the guys who left, who would have made the top 8?

Would any of them have started?

My guess, FWIW, is that one or the other of Ed or Michael would have made the top 8 and maybe started, but not both.

I honestly think 3 of those transfers would have been outside our current top 8.

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

I don't see how Duby Okeke could NOT be included in the rotation. Any rotation (8-man, 10-man, whatever) HAS to include Okeke. We didn't sign him to NOT play him.

If we misjudged his ability(not saying this is the case) then you shouldn't play him just because you took him.

17 minutes ago, royalfan said:

If we misjudged his ability(not saying this is the case) then you shouldn't play him just because you took him.

And maybe not even this.  He didn't log big minutes at Winthrop.  I view him more as a luxury.  His role is entirely spark-plays:  block shots and dunk the ball.  He's an offensive liability.  I'm sure he'd be the first to admit this.  When considering he's shorter than Copeland and only outweighs Copeland and Roby by 20lbs, I can definitely see the rationale for not having in the top 8.  

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that we didn't have any transfers off of last year's team.  Let's also assume there still would have been room for Thomas Allen in the recruiting class.  And let's further assume we really do cut to an 8-man rotation.

Of the guys who left, who would have made the top 8?

Would any of them have started?

My guess, FWIW, is that one or the other of Ed or Michael would have made the top 8 and maybe started, but not both.

I honestly think 3 of those transfers would have been outside our current top 8.

Jacobson shouldn't have been getting Roby's minutes last year, so I totally agree with this assessment.  Ed was too good on the glass to hurt us offensively with his lack of ballskills, and he's an underrated finisher around the rim.  There would've been plenty of games this year where he was our best player.  

I have heard that our starting 5 will look like this at the beginning of the year.

Watson

Taylor

Copeland

Palmer

Jordy

Which to me is a good sign if they didn't have Roby in the starting as I'm a HUGE fan of Roby. 

Then bench is anybody's guess.  Will have more to do with match ups and who's playing well.  One thing is for sure, with our added depth, practices should be very competitive this year for playing time which is awesome!

He'll probably play more than 8. It just depends how much PT those other players get.

Hard to believe Okeke won't play at all because its hard to believe Tshimanga will suddenly be able to stay out of foul trouble completely and play 30 minutes every game. As far as Okeke having 20 pounds on Copeland and Roby, that 20 pounds matters a lot.

Nana won't redshirt but he's not going to be a regular rotation player either. The Horne comparison is a decent one as far as what his role might be.

I'd imagine Watson, Taylor, Palmer and Allen is your core backcourt. Roby, Copeland and McVeigh are your forwards and Tshimanga and Okeke are your bigs. That's 9, which I'm guessing is the most likely way things shake out.

Akenten and Borchardt may see the floor as the situation calls for it but won't be part of the regular rotation. Gill is probably in this group as well. The thing is that on top of recovering from his injury, he would actually have to beat out Taylor, Palmer and Allen for minutes. To this point, his high school accolades and I guess that scrimmage performance I see referenced here are the biggest things he has going for him. His play to this point certainly wouldn't necessitate that he gets minutes. 

1 hour ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He'll probably play more than 8. It just depends how much PT those other players get.

Hard to believe Okeke won't play at all because its hard to believe Tshimanga will suddenly be able to stay out of foul trouble completely and play 30 minutes every game. As far as Okeke having 20 pounds on Copeland and Roby, that 20 pounds matters a lot.

Nana won't redshirt but he's not going to be a regular rotation player either. The Horne comparison is a decent one as far as what his role might be.

I'd imagine Watson, Taylor, Palmer and Allen is your core backcourt. Roby, Copeland and McVeigh are your forwards and Tshimanga and Okeke are your bigs. That's 9, which I'm guessing is the most likely way things shake out.

Akenten and Borchardt may see the floor as the situation calls for it but won't be part of the regular rotation. Gill is probably in this group as well. The thing is that on top of recovering from his injury, he would actually have to beat out Taylor, Palmer and Allen for minutes. To this point, his high school accolades and I guess that scrimmage performance I see referenced here are the biggest things he has going for him. His play to this point certainly wouldn't necessitate that he gets minutes. 

That makes sense, I could see him going with a small line up with Copeland and Roby at the 4/5 for a few minutes a game as well. Taking some more Duby minutes. Nana seems to me like someone who could make a jump once he gets comfortable with playing at this level, so PT here and there would be a good thing early if we need him down the stretch.

What I appreciate is the rotation has a number of possibilities and likely is not yet set in stone.  Let's see how the next few weeks shake out before we declare a definitive line up.  I will still be shocked if Isaiah is not in the starting line up.  If he isn't, then that sincerely tells me that we are going to be exponentially better this season.

I don’t think Roby and Taylor both start. Both are glue guys that do a lot of things well but are not great scoring options. Roby never looked confident taking a shot and Taylor could make outside shots only occasionally. As for Nana, he seems to have the athleticism, height, and allegedly great three point shooting to start playing right away. Hard to believe he would come here to get only rare minutes as a freshman, I bet he was promised more. 

8 hours ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

I don’t think Roby and Taylor both start. Both are glue guys that do a lot of things well but are not great scoring options. Roby never looked confident taking a shot and Taylor could make outside shots only occasionally. As for Nana, he seems to have the athleticism, height, and allegedly great three point shooting to start playing right away. Hard to believe he would come here to get only rare minutes as a freshman, I bet he was promised more. 

Welcome to the board, but I have to disagree. 

Well, there may have been a reason Roby "never looked confident taking a shot"--he was a FRESHMAN.   And one who was sidelined by injury for months before the season.   Just because he appeared that way as a true freshman, and one who got a late start at that, doesn't mean he'll be a permanent glue guy.   Look at the steady, albeit gradual improvement of Tai.  Now, some guys are that way, Benny was always going to be challenged offensively, as was Rivers.  But I'll take a chance that categorizing Roby this way ends up being wrong.     

As for Nana, guess what, he's a freshmen also.  Every single year in the history of message boards, posters anoint FNGs to be better out of the gate than the returning guys.   And every year they underestimate the adjustment to this level.  

9 hours ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

Personally I look for Roby to have a big impact this year and I think Nana gets more minutes as the season progresses. I think it will be hard to keep him off of the floor if he is making shots and can defend well. I think he replaces Jack by mid season.  

2 hours ago, BigTate said:

Personally I look for Roby to have a big impact this year and I think Nana gets more minutes as the season progresses. I think it will be hard to keep him off of the floor if he is making shots and can defend well. I think he replaces Jack by mid season.  

I wouldn't put any money on that.

15 hours ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

If Roby is healthy and with another year he has a tremendous upside

6 hours ago, HB said:

Welcome to the board, but I have to disagree. 

Well, there may have been a reason Roby "never looked confident taking a shot"--he was a FRESHMAN.   And one who was sidelined by injury for months before the season.   Just because he appeared that way as a true freshman, and one who got a late start at that, doesn't mean he'll be a permanent glue guy.   Look at the steady, albeit gradual improvement of Tai.  Now, some guys are that way, Benny was always going to be challenged offensively, as was Rivers.  But I'll take a chance that categorizing Roby this way ends up being wrong.     

As for Nana, guess what, he's a freshmen also.  Every single year in the history of message boards, posters anoint FNGs to be better out of the gate than the returning guys.   And every year they underestimate the adjustment to this level.  

HB I want bonus points for knowing what FNG means!  Heck I was the FNG one sampling trip for work.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:09 PM, LNKtrnsplnt said:

I see this is your 1st post, please stop posting any further!  Roby is not a Glue guy and you are completely clueless by stating that.  

Edited by big red22

4 hours ago, big red22 said:

I see this is your 1st post, please stop posting any further!  Roby is not a Glue guy and you are completely clueless by stating that.  

That's a little harsh. It's fair to project Roby as being more than that, but last year he showed potential as a defender and rebounder and his offense looked very unrefined. That sounds like a glue guy. Some of that had to do with the injury before the season, sure, but he needs to make major improvement from last year in order to be more than a glue guy or solid rotation player this year. It's certainly possible that he does that, but we have't seen it happen yet.