Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to say, despite all the turbulence we've encountered these past couple of weeks, that the starting lineup I projected a month ago will still be intact going into next season.  At least, nothing's happened yet to change anything.

The depth we have to put on the floor after our starters come out has been drastically thrown off kilter, though.  I think we would have been fine losing either Ed or Michael, but not both.  So, my top 8 at this point is a little in flux, but ...

Glynn

James (or maybe Nana)

Isaiah

Isaac

Jordy

Jack

Evan

Nana (or maybe James)

And the realistic 9th player off the bench right now is ... Tanner Borchardt.  Wow, did I really just type that?  Yes, I did.

All I can say is Jack is going to be important for us next year and he better take advantage of the off-season to eat like a sumo wrestler and really bulk the eff up.  Ideally, I'd like to see him put on another 15 pounds and come in at a good 230# next season.

But that, there, is still a pretty decent top 8.  I believe we can win some games with that lineup.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

But that, there, is still a pretty decent top 8.  I believe we can win some games with that lineup.

Can you let me know which ones in advance so I can place my bets? :rolleyes:

It's not a bad looking lineup, but I'm seeing 44 points from them based on their most recent D1 playing time. If we carryover Nana's HS average we hit 60 ppg. That's not going to cut it. Huge jump in production needed from a number of players to make this work. I'm all for it, but can we get it done?

13 Glynn

3 James (or maybe Nana)

3 Isaiah

5 Isaac

5 Jordy

7 Jack

5 Evan

- Nana (or maybe James)

3 Anton 

There will still be a couple additional pieces to this still confusing puzzle.  We shall continue to see what shakes out.  But the players listed by Norm can find success for the Huskers, they really can.  We absolutely need another big man (or two) and a sniper (or two) that can fill it up from outside. 

21 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

It's not a bad looking lineup, but I'm seeing 44 points from them based on their most recent D1 playing time. If we carryover Nana's HS average we hit 60 ppg. That's not going to cut it. Huge jump in production needed from a number of players to make this work. I'm all for it, but can we get it done?

13 Glynn (15)

3 James (5)

3 Isaiah (7)

5 Isaac (7)

5 Jordy (7)

7 Jack (10)

5 Evan (7)

Nana (5)

3 Anton (5)

That gets us close to 70 PPG which isn't bad and isn't all that out of the question.  I think we could be very balanced with that lineup.  I think Glynn needs to get 15 a game, but after than, any one of those players could go off for 10+ PPG.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

All I can say is Jack is going to be important for us next year and he better take advantage of the off-season to eat like a sumo wrestler and really bulk the eff up.  Ideally, I'd like to see him put on another 15 pounds and come in at a good 230# next season.

I don't expect Jack to put on much, if any weight, certainly not 15 lbs. He wants to stay a lean, mean, 3-point shooting machine. Or at least tune up the mechanism, since I don't think I'd call him a machine, yet. I do think we'll see him take a decent jump in his shooting percentage next year.

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't expect Jack to put on much, if any weight, certainly not 15 lbs. He wants to stay a lean, mean, 3-point shooting machine. Or at least tune up the mechanism, since I don't think I'd call him a machine, yet. I do think we'll see him take a decent jump in his shooting percentage next year.

Yup. The only 230 I want to see from Jack is hoisting 230 more threes every day until the season starts. 

2 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

Hope you all realize that Copeland may not be eligible until second semester. That means he misses all of non con and to make matters worse the big 10 moved the season up a week to start in mid December meaning he may miss 4 B10 games. That's brutal.

Bold the key word.  *MAY*

I have also heard he *MAY* be eligible.

My point is why hang onto miles when it's more than likely he wins less than 14 games than wins 15.....he's fired either way......meanwhile Dooley is available. Only reason I can think of that Eichorst hasn't canned him is that NANA is an NBA lottery pick and they didn't want to lose him....of course those odds are less than 1%. Greater odds are that Eichorst doesnt care about basketball winning

2 minutes ago, DOATHLON said:

My point is why hang onto miles when it's more than likely he wins less than 14 games than wins 15.....he's fired either way......meanwhile Dooley is available. Only reason I can think of that Eichorst hasn't canned him is that NANA is an NBA lottery pick and they didn't want to lose him....of course those odds are less than 1%. Greater odds are that Eichorst doesnt care about basketball winning

You are in total denial if you cannot see there are wins to be achieved next year.

2 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

Hope you all realize that Copeland may not be eligible until second semester. That means he misses all of non con and to make matters worse the big 10 moved the season up a week to start in mid December meaning he may miss 4 B10 games. That's brutal.

That's totally not correct.  At WORST he's eligible as soon as graduation occurs for the fall semester next year.  That's going to be on December 16.  He'll be eligible BEFORE the start of spring semester 2018.  And he'll probably be eligible right off the bat.

6 hours ago, hhcscott said:

13 Glynn

3 James (or maybe Nana)

3 Isaiah

5 Isaac

5 Jordy

7 Jack

5 Evan

- Nana (or maybe James)

3 Anton 

What did Tai average the year before last?

What did Glynn average the year before last?

I expect Jordy to make a substantial jump forward, as in double figure scoring and solid rebounding number.  I'd say 12/8 or somewhere in there.

You'll get 12-15 ppg from Copeland.  Isaiah's going to make a jump.  And whoever starts at the shooting guard spot is going to be knocking down some 3-balls, which I project will probably put them in the range of anywhere from 6-10 ppg.

I figure we'll get 40 ppg from just Isaac, Jordy and Glynn. I don't think that's a stretch at all.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

What did Tai average the year before last?

What did Glynn average the year before last?

I expect Jordy to make a substantial jump forward, as in double figure scoring and solid rebounding number.  I'd say 12/8 or somewhere in there.

You'll get 12-15 ppg from Copeland.  Isaiah's going to make a jump.  And whoever starts at the shooting guard spot is going to be knocking down some 3-balls, which I project will probably put them in the range of anywhere from 6-10 ppg.

I figure we'll get 40 ppg from just Isaac, Jordy and Glynn. I don't think that's a stretch at all.

Norm, you know me, I support the coaches and the program, have through thin and thin BUT Watson is our only returning 10+ scorer. Sure someone else will step up, but you saw how hard it was with 1-2 scorers the last two seasons. We need at least three players to be averaging 10-15 to get to 12-15 wins. I want to believe that 3-4 guys are going to more than double their scoring averages, but I can't put my money on it. Too many rusty/unproven players to be demanding an NCAA run to save an unextended coach. I want Miles to succeed because we have to stop this carousel but I sure haven't seen that kind of break fall Nebraska's way in 26 of the last 27 years. 

Predictions on averages:

Watson = 16

Jordy = 12

Copeland = 12

McVeigh = 10

Taylor = 8

Roby = 6

Akenten = 4

Palmer = 4

Gill = 3

-------

That's an optimistic 74 I guess, but I do see points being spread around on this squad beyond Watson, Jordy, and Copeland.  I think Akenten and Palmer are major wild cards from a scoring standpoint.  The rest of the jumps in scoring are pretty standard scoring jumps with the exception to Jordy.  Akenten shoots as well as AWIII, though, so I think there are going to be some games where he goes off and gets us 20.  

8 hours ago, hhcscott said:

We need at least three players to be averaging 10-15 to get to 12-15 wins

Copeland will score 10+ if he's healthy.  If he's out for the first semester and/or doesn't recover, we're probably screwed.

Roby and/or Palmer are capable of scoring 10+. I don't think Palmer will need much convincing though I question his efficiency. Gotta hope that the passiveness of Roby last year was due to the early injury/being a freshman.  I know he's a gifted passer but gotta get him thinking like a scorer. 

Jordy, man.  He might be the key to this all.

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Copeland will score 10+ if he's healthy.  If he's out for the first semester and/or doesn't recover, we're probably screwed.

Roby and/or Palmer are capable of scoring 10+. I don't think Palmer will need much convincing though I question his efficiency. Gotta hope that the passiveness of Roby last year was due to the early injury/being a freshman.  I know he's a gifted passer but gotta get him thinking like a scorer. 

Jordy, man.  He might be the key to this all.

Don't forget McVeigh.  He's on pace to average 11.  

I'm not convinced with Isaiah as a pure scorer.  I think he's more of a stat filler, but if we're going to utilize him offensively, I'd love to see some 2 man pick and roll sets for him with the ball in his hands.  He is a great passer, and at 6'8" and leaping ability, he can pass the ball over bigs either as a kick out or dumpoff.  This is my dream for Roby/Jordy or Roby/Copeland.  I agree that he was passive last year, and I think that's because he didn't have the ball in his hands enough as a distributor.  I'd like to see sets where Glynn is more of an Iverson roll and Roby runs the show.  A point forward totally screws with opponents defensive strategy: