Next Years Starting 5

Handy Johnson

Yesterday's win sent my mind whirling ahead as to what might be, and of course that always brings us to: what might the starting line-up look like next year? I'll take a crack.

Watson

Horne

Jordy

Jacobson

Morrow

That's some quick gaurds with some range, a bruising front line, and Evan, Jack, Isiah and the newcomers off the bench. I haven't even pulled the cork yet today and I'd say that looks pretty formidable.

Edited by Handy Johnson

what I would like to see is

Watson

Palmer (if he is as good as advertised)

Roby or Horne

Copeland (assuming he is healthy back in action)

Morrow

I think that gives you some nice fire power. Very nice having bigs off the bench in Jordy/Jake along with shooters Jake/gill and defender in Taylor. Whatever happens we should have lots of depth and hopefully the competition will make us better. That is not even counting NaNa who could surprise a lot of folks.

Practices are going to be a war for minutes.

Guards- Watson is set for 30 - 35 minutes a game is really only set minutes.  Gill, Taylor, and Palmer battle for the other 45 - 50 minutes

Wings-  Roby, Jack, Horne, Nana battle for 40 minutes

Frontcourt- Morrow, Jake, Copeland, and Jordy battle for 80 minutes

We are a legitimate 12 deep next year.

13 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Practices are going to be a war for minutes.

Guards- Watson is set for 30 - 35 minutes a game is really only set minutes.  Gill, Taylor, and Palmer battle for the other 45 - 50 minutes

Wings-  Roby, Jack, Horne, Nana battle for 40 minutes

Frontcourt- Morrow, Jake, Copeland, and Jordy battle for 80 minutes

We are a legitimate 12 deep next year.

Nick Fuller says "hello.":D

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

it's a little early for this thread, isn't it?

Of course it is, but after what saw yesterday, and have seen most of this year, the days of Bo Spencer and a handful of Weslyan players are OVER. And to all these yahoos around town who thought Miles was on the hot seat or should even be fired,ask yourself, did Doc (God Bless him) or Barry ever bring in any talent like this? Certainly not this many at once.

First, let me just say that I LOVE these sorts of threads.  It's never too early to idly speculate on what will happen next year.  

The only guy that appears to be a lock to start is Glynn, and I'm going to assume the other four spots are up for gabs.  Morrow is close to a lock, but the pessimist in me wonders if he will see reduced minutes simply to keep him healthy.  Jacobson and Taylor would be returning starters, but will see serious competition from guys with a better offensive arsenal/higher ceiling.  

The things that Miles apparently prioritizes when penciling in a starting lineup are:

1. Ball-handling.  Likes to at a minimum have two guys out there that can break a press, preferably three.  This would seemingly benefit Taylor the most, but may also benefit Roby and Palmer.  Gill seemed to struggle handling the ball under pressure prior to his injury.

2. Trust.  Guys that rebound, play D, and don't turn the ball over seem to get starts under Miles.  Again, this appears to favor Evan the most.  Also, Michael and Ed.

3. Practice.  All coaches love guys who bring their lunch pail to practice every day.  This can be frustrating for fans, since all we see is who plays well when the bright lights come on.  Seems as though Horne and Copeland may have an uphill battle in this department based on prior comments.

All things considered, here's my WAG at next year's opening day starters:

Watson

Taylor

Roby

Jacobson

Morrow

I really wanted to pencil in Copeland, but my gut says that a Jacobson/Copeland combo isn't going to be one of our better post duos.  And I highly doubt that Miles benchs Michael (who is set to return the most starting experience on our lineup) in favor of a transfer.  So since I can't see Jacobson/Copeland or Morrow/Copeland, I guess it's Jacobson/Morrow once again.  Theoretically Copeland could start at the 3 in lieu of Roby, but I'm guessing that Miles sees him as more of a stretch 4 than a true 3.  

8 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

Since none of you bright boys could come close to predicting this year's starting lineup a couple of months ago, it's funny you are trying to predict next years.

It was Watson-Webster-McVeigh-Jacobson-Morrow. People might have thrown in Gill or Roby or Jordy but most everyone minimally had 3 out of the 5 to start the year.

16 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Taylor will start, he will help with ball handling.

I like what Taylor brings to the table for this team but if he's starting next year I'd be disappointed that we didn't have anyone beat him out for the spot. Until we bring in another ball handler/develop someone else on the team you really need to put him on a straight platoon with Watson. 

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

It was Watson-Webster-McVeigh-Jacobson-Morrow. People might have thrown in Gill or Roby or Jordy but most everyone minimally had 3 out of the 5 to start the year.

I totally threw in Gill.

But I never in a million years would have had Taylor in the lineup to start conference play.

Edited by uneblinstu

18 hours ago, 49r said:

it's a little early for this thread, isn't it?

I agree, but then I never really like the who's the starting lineup/rotation/minutes break down threads. We're not coaches, we don't know what's going on. But the waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early ones are the worst of the lot. Not only is the body not cold before these threads start, the body in this case is still very much alive and kicking. Can't we just enjoy what's happening in front of our very eyes before we worry about what's going to happen next year?

1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

I like what Taylor brings to the table for this team but if he's starting next year I'd be disappointed that we didn't have anyone beat him out for the spot. Until we bring in another ball handler/develop someone else on the team you really need to put him on a straight platoon with Watson. 

I mostly disagree.  Taylor has proven to me night in and night out that he's our glue guy.  He's an outstanding defender, extremely tough, and a good sized guard with sneaky scoring ability and decent handles.  Is he a star?  No, but he's proven to be pretty reliable on both ends of the court.  He's totally won me over.  

That said, I think Akenten has the best shot of ousting him at the 2.  I think that kid is going to give us major bench minutes right away, and he may end up being a starter before long.  He's an SG prototype--6'6", great shooter, freak athlete.  Based on what I've seen from Palmer, he may end up getting logjammed at the 3.  I'm not sure he has the lateral quickness to guard the 2, but he's very long.  I look forward to seeing how the staff uses both of these guys.  

It could end up being something like:

Watson/Taylor/Gill

Taylor/Akenten/Palmer/Gill

Copeland/McVeigh/Roby/Palmer

Jacobson/Copeland/Roby/McVeigh

Morrow/Tshimanga

Regardless, what a killer looking roster.  Crazy depth.  We're finally going to have to worry about actual good players leaving due to attrition.  Well done TM.  

We could seriously roll out a roster of:

Taylor -- 6'5"

Akenten -- 6'6"

Copeland -- 6'9"

Roby -- 6'8"

Morrow -- 6'8"

We could literally switch on everything.  What an annoying team that would be to score on if you were a guard-oriented team.  

We are so making the tournament next season (and I still have hope for this season).  

38 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Not only is the body not cold before these threads start, the body in this case is still very much alive and kicking. Can't we just enjoy what's happening in front of our very eyes before we worry about what's going to happen next year?

Yes.  We can.

Having said that, I'm thinking if Glynn gets a second first-half foul in a game next year, we could potentially see ...

6'8" Isaiah Roby at point

6'6" James Palmer at shooting guard

6'9" Isaac Copeland at the wing

6'9" Michael Jacobson at the PF

6'11" Jordy Tschimanga at center

In fact, I'd like to see Miles do that just because he can.