uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 21 - Purdue

hhcmatt

There is some "see and be seen" in there, especially in 100 level and suites. Less so in the 200 and 300 levels. I'd guess that's the case at most places, though. There's definately more than there was at Deveney, but not as much as there is in Omaha. I don't really take issue with what Tom said there. The last line was spot on, though.

Edited by uneblinstu

34 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen more love for Jordy in this thread. He wasn't the star of the show and he still had a few moments that weren't great, but overall I thought that was the best he has played all year. He held his own for the most part against one (or 2) of the best centers in the nation.

He earned every clap of the standing ovation he received after he fouled out.

39 minutes ago, nuhusker7 said:

I'm surprised I haven't seen more love for Jordy in this thread. He wasn't the star of the show and he still had a few moments that weren't great, but overall I thought that was the best he has played all year. He held his own for the most part against one (or 2) of the best centers in the nation.

The kid is a legit B1G center right now.  I've been saying this all year--he deserves solid minutes (around 20) every game.  Does he have a huge ceiling he needs to develop?  Sure.  But he's also a mobile enormous freshman who sets good screens, moves well without the ball, and is basically immovable in the post.  He's studious and works hard in practice.  He's also very physical, which doesn't show up in the stat sheet.  That gets old if you are an opposing player.  Swanigan (6'9" 250) was worn out trying to guard Jordy toward the end of the game.  If you don't think fatigue matters, just try having a 6'11" 270lb lean on you for 20 minutes.  I was THRILLED we finally let Jordy foul out for once.  It doesn't hurt anything with our depth when he is in foul trouble.  He's a luxury at this point, not a star.  He's a bruiser that dirties up the game--more loose balls on boards, and more opposing bigs hit the floor when he is in.  That's a good thing.  It's disruptive.  

The more I watch him, the more I think he's our next Maric.  Their numbers are almost identical per minutes played as freshmen.  Maric was a more efficient offensive player and Jordy is a better shotblocker (though he fouls more).  Maric averaged almost 21min per game to go along with 8pts, 6rb.  Jordy is averaging 10min, 4pts, 3rb.  

It's not too often where, late in a really close game, I think to myself, "win or lose, this is a fun game." Yesterday was one. It was just incredible to see both teams answer the bell so many times. It seemed like every push we made was answered by a dagger 3.

To withstand that down two key players and a hobbled Webster down the stretch was just incredible.

28 minutes ago, LK1 said:

The kid is a legit B1G center right now.  I've been saying this all year--he deserves solid minutes (around 20) every game.  Does he have a huge ceiling he needs to develop?  Sure.  But he's also a mobile enormous freshman who sets good screens, moves well without the ball, and is basically immovable in the post.  He's studious and works hard in practice.  He's also very physical, which doesn't show up in the stat sheet.  That gets old if you are an opposing player.  Swanigan (6'9" 250) was worn out trying to guard Jordy toward the end of the game.  If you don't think fatigue matters, just try having a 6'11" 270lb lean on you for 20 minutes.  I was THRILLED we finally let Jordy foul out for once.  It doesn't hurt anything with our depth when he is in foul trouble.  He's a luxury at this point, not a star.  He's a bruiser that dirties up the game--more loose balls on boards, and more opposing bigs hit the floor when he is in.  That's a good thing.  It's disruptive.  

The more I watch him, the more I think he's our next Maric.  Their numbers are almost identical per minutes played as freshmen.  Maric was a more efficient offensive player and Jordy is a better shotblocker (though he fouls more).  Maric averaged almost 21min per game to go along with 8pts, 6rb.  Jordy is averaging 10min, 4pts, 3rb.  

The problem is (among a few more) that he can't go 20 minutes without fouling out.

He looked much better on offense yesterday than I think he ever has.  He's getting there, for sure!

27 minutes ago, LK1 said:

even his mistakes on offense dont frustrate me, he dosnt travel much which is a good notion that his feet are in proper position and can pivot well, his mistakes on offense are something that will be addressed this offseason.. his strength, and summer in the weight-room, he is only going to get leaner and stronger, and the touch will stay, teams wont like him much next year, and im pretty confident will be cursing him his junior and senior year. My only request is on some of his fouls, he needs to foul slightly harder but that could be said about of lot of players, a slightly harder foul, and those and1 gifts dont happen. 

51 minutes ago, atskooc said:

The problem is (among a few more) that he can't go 20 minutes without fouling out.

He looked much better on offense yesterday than I think he ever has.  He's getting there, for sure!

He just got 20 minutes (19) before fouling out! :)  I hear you, though.  I think you leave him in there until he gets used to how crappy it feels to foul out.   

Just now, atskooc said:

When he went in with five minutes left, I said, "Coach is going to leave him in until he fouls out."  And he did just that.  Kid lasted longer than I thought he would (and I thought that last foul call was crap).

that last foul was trash, that missed bunny hop travel was egregious and something we always seem to get called for. 

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

There is some "see and be seen" in there, especially in 100 level and suites. Less so in the 200 and 300 levels. I'd guess that's the case at most places, though. There's definately more than there was at Deveney, but not as much as there is in Omaha. I don't really take issue with what Tom said there. The last line was spot on, though.

I think the reason CU games are "see and be seen" affairs more than at Nebraska (assuming that Nebraska's games are that way at all, which I don't) is that the luxury boxes at the Century Link Center are accessed from the main concourse.  So, the ladies dressed to the nines and gentlemen who occupy the luxury boxes but who might not necessarily be all that interested in basketball, well, they can wander out of their boxes, go out to the concourse, purchase their wine and their beer, mingle and fraternize with the other people who've shown up to the event without particular concern for what the event is, and basically see who else is out and about. 

At PBA, the concourse designs really don't facilitate people congregating and schmoozing and networking and whatever else you want to call what they do at C Link.  I think it's as much about the way C Link was designed as it is the fact they sell alcoholic beverages there.

10 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

If you want to re-watch the game

My only complaint on the game was not fouling at the end.  Obviously it worked, but we gave Purdue a look at the tie.  I know many coaches trust their D, but with six second left on the clock I'd take my chances at fouling and forcing Purdue to get a rebound and put back.  We did not foul against Iowa either and it worked it but I'm worried sooner or later it may come back to bite us in the butt. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think the reason CU games are "see and be seen" affairs more than at Nebraska (assuming that Nebraska's games are that way at all, which I don't) is that the luxury boxes at the Century Link Center are accessed from the main concourse.  So, the ladies dressed to the nines and gentlemen who occupy the luxury boxes but who might not necessarily be all that interested in basketball, well, they can wander out of their boxes, go out to the concourse, purchase their wine and their beer, mingle and fraternize with the other people who've shown up to the event without particular concern for what the event is, and basically see who else is out and about. 

At PBA, the concourse designs really don't facilitate people congregating and schmoozing and networking and whatever else you want to call what they do at C Link.  I think it's as much about the way C Link was designed as it is the fact they sell alcoholic beverages there.

Are you talking about these guys?

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 3.06.23 PM.png

Edited by jayschool

45 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

My only complaint on the game was not fouling at the end.  Obviously it worked, but we gave Purdue a look at the tie.  I know many coaches trust their D, but with six second left on the clock I'd take my chances at fouling and forcing Purdue to get a rebound and put back.  We did not foul against Iowa either and it worked it but I'm worried sooner or later it may come back to bite us in the butt. 

You got to look at the personnel on both ends.  Yes, they have a great shooting team, but if you force into them a tough shot, I'd rather take that.  You are trusting Jacobson and Roby to box out Swanigan and Haas on a free throw. 

Or is it these fine CU ladies?

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 3.07.43 PM.png

That's part of it, but at PBA, it's be come a much more desirable place to be. The stigma of "going to a basketball game" are largely gone. There's much more of that demographic that is there because it's an event. There's not as many of them at PBA as there are at the CLC, but it's there more than it was at Devaney.

30 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Or is it these fine CU ladies?

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 3.07.43 PM.png

No.  Actually, I've never seen women dressed like that anywhere ever.  And specifically not at CU games.  Though maybe they're hanging out in the Creighton Ambassador's Room.

(The older brunette looks like she's modeling for "Plastic Surgeries Gone Wrong.")