uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 21 - Purdue

hhcmatt

15 minutes ago, throwback said:

Geez, just looked at the box score. Didn't realize Haas played just 13 minutes. 11 points and 5 boards in that short amount of time. We may have caught a break that he didn't play more.

I thought I saw somewhere he was injured which was why he only played 4 minutes in the 2nd half.

44 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I know this will be an unpopular post........but I thought we got more than our fair share of calls.  I'm quick to blame the refs and hold a grudge when we get screwed (Michigan game, for example), but quickly delete from my memory when we get a little help from the zebras.  Thought that may have been the case today.

I never expect a perfect game but felt that allowing NU to bump and be a little physical was to our advantage. There were a few "touch" fouls called against us but NU got huge  3 point play late when Husker was hardly touched. Actually thought the NU bigs would try to flop a couple times to get a cheap foul on Purdue's bigs but was glad to see the physicality.

So many things to hit on.

-Can't even explain how important of a win this game was in so many ways.

-Mich St. @ PBA is definitely a winnable game. Especially if Ed is healthy.

-I want to completely trash (but will refrain from) all the losers who said Jack wasn't capable of playing at this level bc of one, albeit really long, slump.

-Horne was HUGE. 

-Tai was all guts that last 10 minutes or so. I hope they are treating him well on off days so he doesn't burnout.

-Jacobson was tough and gritty like he is everytime out on the floor.

-You saw flashes of Jordys greatness and against a really good front court to boot.

-Hopefully Roby will follow the trend of Horne and McVeigh and come back from bench with a vengeance.

This is why I will never be okay with the idea of firing Miles. You can see the talent that have have and most of it is young and raw. Think about our 7 under class men (Jordy, Horne, Roby, MJ, Ed, Jack, and Glynn). Is there anyone in that group you would call a dud?

56 minutes ago, throwback said:

Geez, just looked at the box score. Didn't realize Haas played just 13 minutes. 11 points and 5 boards in that short amount of time. We may have caught a break that he didn't play more.

Wow. That's surprising. In 1st half he was getting some real good looks close to basket but didn't see him much in 2nd

Jacobson really manned up today in a big way.  The sequence of about 2 minutes very late in the game where he got a stop, then got a steal and a putback or a nice cut for the go ahead bucket was great to see, considering you could tell he wasn't right today.  Without that sequence we likely do not win the game. 

Had this been one of our prior teams outside of the 2013-2014 campaign, the way this game was played and officiated we were set up to lose this game. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our team this year has got a lot of fight in them. Even when they've had double-digit deficits, they would find a way to fight their way back into the game. We're 6-3 in games decided by 5 points or less. In prior years, a 50/50 tossup would have been generous.

10 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I know this will be an unpopular post........but I thought we got more than our fair share of calls.  I'm quick to blame the refs and hold a grudge when we get screwed (Michigan game, for example), but quickly delete from my memory when we get a little help from the zebras.  Thought that may have been the case today.

I think both teams got their fair share of calls, but what was most frustrating to me was the fact that Swanigan travels every time he gets the ball down in the post. Goodness

13 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Only one guy picked us to win today in our little HHC contest. And we are supposed to be the most rabid NU fans. I am officially shamed.But at least KenPom got it right. He predicted we would win 1 out of 5 times we play them. He just forgot to tell us this would be that fifth game!

Other interesting HHCC facts:

Game // Result // Picked NU% // Majority

vs SacSt // W // 100% // Correct

vs Mary // W // 100% // Correct

vs LaTech // W // 97% // Correct

neut Dayton // W // 52% // Correct

neut UCLA // L // 29% // Correct

neut VaTech // L // 77% // Incorrect
at Clemson // L // 47% // Correct

vs SoDak // W // 100% // Correct

vs Creighton // L // 47% // Correct

at Kansas // L // 11% // Correct
vs Gard-Webb // L // 100% // Incorrect

vs Southern // W // 100% // Correct
at Indiana // W // 10% // Incorrect
at Maryland // W // 25% // Incorrect

vs Iowa // W // 83% // Correct
vs Northwestern // L // 69% // Incorrect
at Michigan // L // 39% // Correct
vs Ohio State // L // 85% // Incorrect
at Rutgers // L // 90% // Incorrect

at Northwestern // L // 24% // Correct
vs Purdue // W // 6% // Incorrect

HHCC majority performance: 13-8

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

I think both teams got their fair share of calls, but what was most frustrating to me was the fact that Swanigan travels every time he gets the ball down in the post. Goodness

And took about 6 seconds to make his move in the lane, with guys all over the paint, with no 3 second call. 

12 minutes ago, royalfan said:

And took about 6 seconds to make his move in the lane, with guys all over the paint, with no 3 second call. 

And nearly every time he made a move in the paint he hooked with his off elbow.  He's really good at hiding it and never got called but it drove me nuts the entire game.

Those are the kinds of games I like to be a part of. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Nebraska blowing someone out of the water so if they want to do that, be my guest. It was a perfect storm for an unenthusiastic crowd, Sunday afternoon, 5 game losing streak, big time opponent that we don't match up with very well, etc. I'm glad the crowd brought their A game. 

Also that strip MJ had on Schwanangan (I'm not looking up how to spell that) was very reminiscent of that strip he had against Wisconsin in the B1G tournament last year. He's got some good quick hands. 

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

Purdue fans on Reddit are SUUUUUPER salty about the refereeing yesterday.  They feel like their bigs were "manhandled" all game by the 'Skers...

There were a couple of bad calls both ways; overall a very balanced game of officiating.  I'm generally pretty objective about officiating and only complain when we really get hosed.  Purdue was the beneficiary of kind of letting the teams play and not calling a lot of contact. 

3 minutes ago, noahjb24 said:

Can somebody find Horne's +/- from yesterday? He was huge for us.

I dont know why Roby gets more slack for mental and defensive errors than Horne.

Single game +/- is meaningless.  Season long college +/- basically meaningless.

Horne was +15 yesterday. Jordy was -10

5 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Single game +/- is meaningless.  Season long college +/- basically meaningless.

Horne was +15 yesterday. Jordy was -10

Just saying that he was a spark for us and that he was a key for some of the runs we went on. So finding his +/- from yesterday will back up my claim that when he came off the bench, he was a part of some runs we made.

Tom Shatel has a nice op-ed today on the crowd at yesterday's game.  Here's how it starts:

"Here's to you, Nebrasketball fans.  With apologies to Jack McVeigh and Jeriah Horne, the crowd at Pinnacle Bank on Sunday was the star of Nebraska's win over 20th-ranked Purdue."

I disagree with Shatel, however, on one minor point.  He suggests that Nebrasketball fans show up at the Vault "to see and be seen."  I think he's confusing us with many of the fans that show up for basketball games in Downtown Omaha--the "see and be seen" factor seems to be highly developed there.  

I don't think the "see and be seen" factor is all that significant in Lincoln.  Husker fans show up at the Vault and cheer like crazy because we believe in this team and its coaches and because we have high expectations and confidence in the future of Nebrasketball.