uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: Vol 9, Ed 21 - Purdue

hhcmatt

Wow, what a great environment! The team really brought it, the fans really brought it! It was about as loud as I can remember since NSS! We could've folded as they continued to hit 3 after 3, but the boys went toe-to-toe, blow-for-blow! Let's get a nice little streak going into February and see what happens!

Only one guy picked us to win today in our little HHC contest. And we are supposed to be the most rabid NU fans. I am officially shamed.But at least KenPom got it right. He predicted we would win 1 out of 5 times we play them. He just forgot to tell us this would be that fifth game!

Edited by jimmykc

We played an aggressive, tough ass game today.  Man, that was fun to watch!  Players stepped up big time. 

- Honestly the only player who struggled was Isaiah. 

- Jordy played well and seemed to have the light come on offensively in the second half. 

- MJ was puking all over the place, had to have an IV at half time, but his offensive/defensive spurt towards the end was invaluable. 

- Tai ran his well dry today.  Great effort.

- Glynn had his quickness matched today.  He also fell down again and picked up a foul in the process, but overall great effort and game.

- Need a bit more offense out of Evan, but he played really well on defense.

- Jeriah, welcome back young man.  Good defense.  We were switching today and that seemed to help him.  His offense...EXCELLENT!

- Jack, wow!  And I am talking about his defense.  His offense was pretty darn good as well.

Point is, this was a great team win.  If we review the thread regarding offense, this is what I was talking about.  We drive to the rim and kick it to an open man, and today, those shots were hit.  It makes a difference.  I am so glad we are back in the win column.  Back in the top half of the league as well.

Thanks, Dimes for getting this going.

Few thoughts:

- This might be Miles' EKG-est team he's had yet.

- Thought the court storming was a but much, but man did this team neeeeeeeeeeed this win.

- We saw a vision of what this offense could be with Jack and Jeriah both playing well. With Glynn not having a great game and no Ed, obviously, there's still room for more.

- I think (hope) we'll look back at Jeriah's benching and say it was the best thing for him. Coach said in the post game that he earned his way back. Jack, too. Now it's Isaiah's turn to do that. Most kids, and a lot of adults, too have to learn these lessons the hard way. Hopefully JH and, in turn, NU will be better for it.

- Gutty, gutty effort from Jacobson.

- I thought Jordy really held up pretty well today vs. an incredibly talented front court.

- Loved the defensive game plan they had for Purdue's big men. Really felt like they struggled with it all day.

- Anxious to see how they respond to what should be an emotional, charged up atmosphere on Thursday. A win there would be huge.

- As has been mentioned, crowd was great. Good work everyone.

- One negative: 3 point defense still an issue...

Wasn't much of a court storm.  About 30 - 40 students went on the court after the game.  The players went through the hand shakes, and went to celebrate with the students.

Great game, and great effort.  We outrebounded Purdue, which doesn't happen often.  Had 17 2nd chance points on 15 offensive rebounds, none bigger than Jacobson's put back with 40 seconds left.

Again, Horne responded well, not playing against Northwestern.  I like the make-up of him and McVeigh.  The coaching staff challenges them, and they comeback.  A lot of players, sulk and pout.  It seems like Horne and McVeigh have that I'm going to work hard and make you play me attitude.

Very relieved feeling.

Actually, attempted more free throws by an opponent.  Even, when Purdue had to foul down the stretch we still held an 18-11 advantage.  Probably the difference in the game.  Especially they were red hot from 3. 

Pardon is playing someone other than Nebraska, 1:32 left in the game, he has 0 points and 7 rebounds in 23 minutes.

Just finished watching recording (amazing how fast a game is when you fast forward commercials).  I was wrong, we did match up with Purdue.  Added offensive punch from Jack and Jeriah was big.  Everyone contributed something to the victory.  Hope Webster's ankle injury isn't too serious but the team should gain confidence from how they played down the stretch in his absence!  This team competes!